Archinect
anchor

KIT HOUSE and STUDENT LOANS

oooo

My boyfriend and I are buying a cheap tear-down house that is on a 24'x48' foundation. We are looking to replace it with a kit house that we can assemble ourselves without a contractor because the budget is real tight. I am afraid to start designing something that will likely exceed our budget and have agreed to a kit shell that I can then design on the interior as I wish and in time...

Via google, I found http://www.shelter-kit.com Has anyone here dealt with this people before and what was your experience?
I must admit, it was their hand-drawn axonometrics in the Loft house catalog online (check it out) that got me excited about their company... Anyway, shelter-kit sells 4 bedroom cape design houses for a 24x48 foundation for around 40k... I don't know if I can beat that... We have student loans killing us... Which reminds to spread the word about www.studentloanjustice.org (definitely worth checking out if you have loans oppressing you).

I was looking at various links from http://www.fabprefab.com but all those wonderful designs are way outside of our budget. The glide house is around 180k and the wee house is 40k but it's too small though we love it!

Mar 29, 07 9:51 am
24out1in

look at using structural insulated panels, pre-engineered roof trusses, and eningeered lumber floor system. the wall panels are easy to install by a 'non-contractor' and they have an R25 continuous insulation value.

where is this site? you might not even need stamped drawings to build if you are owner/builder.

google fischersips or premier panel for that. there's actually a lot more more.

Mar 29, 07 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
24out1in

i guess what i am saying is that you might end up paying more for the "home kit" because they end up being the middle man between the material supplier and you... you're really just paygin for the "convenience" and pretty pictures.

i say go right to the lumber yard/factory and keep a close eye on your material costs.

Mar 29, 07 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
24out1in

lastly make sure that these kit homes abide by your local bldg code

Mar 29, 07 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
oooo

24out1in, thanks for the tip on the sips... i had read about sips but don't have any direct experience using them because most of the work i have have done has been interior high end stuff in nyc... well, back in the midwest now, the house will be in ann arbor, michigan. i guess you are right... kit houses might not be the right path... i should probably design our own house; put all my education to work... seems like such pressure, you know, to design your own house but going with the kit is kinda of a cheap way out. yes, yes... will keep you guys posted on the progress if it turns out we go with this property.

Mar 29, 07 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Pitch a tent on the slab...will be nice this time of year

Mar 29, 07 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Build an igloo on the slab come winter

Mar 29, 07 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
oooo

very nice... hippies were bound to return... what about those lenghty, gray, michigan inbetween zones of no snow, no sun, and wind...lots of wind? what do you say, mdler?

Mar 29, 07 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

ive always thought these flatpak houses were really really cool... probably more expensive than the ones your showing though...

Mar 29, 07 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

David Hasselhoff had a KIT car. i would probably just get one of those and live in that.

Mar 29, 07 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
oooo

i hate cars and i hate david hasselhoff

Mar 29, 07 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

MDLER WAS HERE

Mar 29, 07 6:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: