Archinect
anchor

Questions to ask: GSD vs MIT

mobarchitecture

So I am in the luck position to have to make the call between two Cambridge powerhouses......

I will be heading out in that direction next week but I would be interested in the communities thoughts and or questions of relevance.

Mar 29, 07 1:28 am
j-turn

this choice isn't so hard because if you get buyers remorse, you are allowed to take classes at the other school.

Overall, i'd say go GSD because their studios are stronger, but there are certain things that MIT does better - technology and research being two that come to mind.

Mar 29, 07 9:49 am  · 
 · 
Balagan

Same position as you mob, I'll be at the open houses too. To compound the problem, I was leaning towards GSD but MIT sent me an offer letter today, half tuition (17K) + 9K stipend...which saves me a *lot* of money. I don't suppose GSD gives out fellowships like these?

Mar 29, 07 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
lullaby

Balagan,

You can take all the courses in MIT what you want.
That's why I'applied just only GSD and I am going to study.

Did you hear anything for funding yet?
I am still waiting and curious...

Mar 29, 07 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
lullaby

funding from GSD I mean...

Mar 29, 07 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
Balagan

Ha, I was meaning to ask the same exact question. Any chance I can use this MIT offer to negotiate with GSD? =)

Mar 29, 07 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
lullaby

You can use GSD offer for MIT but MIT offer is nothing for GSD.
You can try.

Mar 29, 07 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
awol

What I've heard is that the way that the schools are set up affects the funding that students get. GSD is its own entity within Harvard so it has to fund all of its students out of its own resources, which limits the funding it can give (if you go to Harvard, please correct me if I'm wrong). MIT architecture's funding comes from the Institute and not from the school itself, so from what I've heard, I think most of my class is on a half-tuition scholarship.

MIT is going through a fair number of (good) changes with Yung Ho, so I'd take a closer look at the open house.

Mar 29, 07 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
Balagan

Hmm, I kinda gathered the same conclusion. It's THE GSD after all...Guess I'll ask around at open house and see what happens.

Mar 29, 07 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
atsedi

I don't think you will get far with bargaining either way.

From the GSD Financial Aid Handbook:

"There are usually a few students who feel their awards, specifically their grant, are not as high as they had hoped. We make every effort initially to award students accurately based on the information they submit to our office. We may also request additional documentation if we feel it is necessary [to] evaluate the need. If you feel that there is some instance that may have been overlooked, please submit a written request for reconsideration to the Financial Aid Office. We do not complete with other schools' financial aid packages."

The last line is key, it would seem. As for MIT, here is an excerpt from their email response to my gentle efforts to get more money (I was hoping a free ride & stipend from Rice might be some motivation...):

"I can't speak to how other universities handle financial aid. We
have a large department, with 5 graduate degree programs. We choose
to offer full funding only to our Ph.D. students. We fund roughly
75-80 % of our Master's degree students with half-tuition awards; the
remaining 20-25% of students are offered no financial aid. It's
our philosophy to spread our resources among a slightly smaller
percentage of the population in order to give those students
half-tuition. (The alternative is to fund everyone with a small
award, or only a few with a big award.)"

I imagine there are exceptions to these stated policies, but, if you are an exception, I think you would already know. Please do post if you have heard otherwise.

Some other things to keep in mind: MIT does offer the possibility of earning a full tuition waver after your first year. These waivers are awarded on a competitve basis. Also, student positions seem to pay much more at MIT than at Harvard.

Just thought I would mention these things in case they should be relevant to anyone's decision.

Mar 29, 07 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
atsedi

Of course I meant: "'We do not compete...'"

Mar 29, 07 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

no offense i hope, but i would imagine that most of us WISHED we had this kind of decision to make, coming here and asking for advice as to which is the better choice, seems rather low and braggadocios....

it's like asking which is better, taking the cash option in a Powerball or the annuity...

Mar 29, 07 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

GSD

Mar 29, 07 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
mobarchitecture

In response to Srouley Kracklite.... One works toward these things it has very little to do with the lottery.

I am still waiting on MIT's offer for the SMArchS program which I think will factor heavily into my decision. The GSD has made a nice Tier I grant offer but untill the paper work comes in it is hard to decide.... let alone with out actually critically walking through the buildings for a secondary inspection. After all it is the work that really merits.

Thanks for the thoughts thus far.

Mar 30, 07 1:48 am  · 
 · 
jbc

I know someone who negotiated with the GSD and got the GSD to up their offer; so, I wouldn't completely dismiss the possibility.

Mar 30, 07 2:02 am  · 
 · 
Balagan

mob - What are the details of your tier I grant?

And I agree, however much money they throw at you, its the fit that counts.

jbc - Do you know if he/she negotiated via phone, email, or in person?

Mar 30, 07 2:58 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

mob, a couple of thoughts; i think you miss the point about the lottery. works toward what, a decision? the work that merits? do you mean the work done there, by others, is a factor in your decision? why do you care about what others are doing? i could understand not deciding until you know funding options, but you can't honestly tell me you care what others are doing and that will inform your decision??

Mar 30, 07 5:19 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: