Archinect
anchor

apartment hunting .....

pomoinmono

I want to bore everyone with my apartment dilemma. I found two apartments which both have advantages and now I don't know which one to pick. I currently have a slumlord, basically haven't had hot water for the past 6 months and it was tortuous.

Anyway, here are the stats... both apartments are in Crown Heights/prospect heights in NYC.....

1110 Carroll St. traditional detailing, two hundred dollars cheaper than the other one, almost the same amount of space, hardwood floors, nice size living room and bedroom, big windows, first floor, between Bedford and Rogers Ave. beautiful tree lined neighborhood, closer to the franklin ave. stop

597 Grand Ave. at St. Mark pl., new construction, elevator to the third floor, not very neighborhoody, laundry room in basement, rent-stabilized, maintenance people on-site. large living room and bedroom, three closets, large bathroom.

GOD DAMNIT why didn't I bring a measuring tape? I can't remember which one is bigger.

Mar 28, 07 5:21 pm
not without

I want to bore everyone with my apartment dilemma

Done!

Mar 28, 07 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
pomoinmono

HA! yeah well, it's that time of day you know.

Mar 28, 07 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
quixotica

I have friends who live on carroll street!

Just thought I'd share.

Mar 28, 07 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
tc79

St. Mark's Place is in Manhattan, and doesn't cross Grand. St. Mark's Ave. is in Brooklyn. Big difference.

Take the rent stabilized apt and move-on.

Mar 28, 07 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
pomoinmono

tc79..... you caught me. it's st. mark's in brooklyn.

Mar 28, 07 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
Buckity

What stops on what train lines?

Mar 28, 07 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
pomoinmono

does anyone thin kthat looking at records on the DOB website is a good way to research a landlord? I don't really know another way.

The rent-stabilized building has a ton of violations, but also has 40 units. actually, the violations are mostly stop-work orders and working without a permit which isn't good for the landlord but at least means for the tenants that something's being done.

Mar 28, 07 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
pomoinmono

well the rent stabilized one is in between franklin ave. 4/5/2/3 (like 11 blocks away though) and eastern parkway (2/3), maybe 5 blocks away. my bf and i both take the 4/5 to work.

Mar 28, 07 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
Buckity

I would take the one closest to the train.

Mar 28, 07 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

IMO, the first one sounds more appealing.

Mar 28, 07 6:16 pm  · 
 · 

I don't remember NYC that well...as long as you can see the roof tops of your neighbours choose the higher one. No heat - no way

Mar 28, 07 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
morgan2sims

PICK ONE THAT'S CLOSE TO YER OFFICE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mar 29, 07 5:54 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

if you're looking to stay for a while rent stabilization is nice
for obvious reasons. but an awkward commute can make
things awful in general. figure out your priorities and pick
the apartment that goes with it.

Mar 29, 07 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
med.

No hot water?

You can't be serious...

Mar 29, 07 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
24out1in

hey- i've got no a/c and lots of termites here in south florida

actually i'd take all that over no hot water :)

Mar 29, 07 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

6 months without hot water is a bit extreme... I would have been filing complaints at City Hall after about the first day.

Mar 29, 07 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
pomoinmono

it's not that easy, you have to keep a log to record the temps. and all this bullshit. and guess what ... normal thermometers don't read temps below 93 deg. becasue the human body doesn't go that low...... i just went to the gym alot. and showered there.

Mar 29, 07 4:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: