Archinect
anchor

public bathroom design

I am currently working on a research for public bathrooms on a very big park, any of you guys have any references besides the jinjua architecture park??

thanks for the input

Mar 27, 07 7:27 pm
binary

train station in moscow has large troughs...... shyt was crazy.......

Mar 27, 07 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
mdler
Mar 27, 07 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
bucku

rem in holland designing public shitters. nice...

Mar 27, 07 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I love the nod to mies

Mar 27, 07 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

just don't put any glory holes in the stalls...

Mar 27, 07 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

what does glass blowing have to do with it???

Mar 27, 07 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

vado

I used to blow glass

Mar 28, 07 1:03 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

anybody else seen that bathroom (I think in NY) with the one-way mirror surround? You can watch the public as you go, but they can't see you.

It would be like having the biggest bathroom in the world. Amazing.

Mar 28, 07 1:13 am  · 
 · 
bucku

doesnt the bathroom at IIT have something similar to that. my friend told me that the glass was this bubble injected stuff that as you are standing at the urinal you can see everyone in that hallway at a very tiny scale. sounds fun and yet perverted at the same time.

Mar 28, 07 1:44 am  · 
 · 
garpike

bucku that's no shitter. That's a piss wall.

Mar 28, 07 1:54 am  · 
 · 
bntz

slantsix

i believe its the bathroom in a restaurant called PEEP`s
near 6th and spring, sorry no pics

Mar 28, 07 2:44 am  · 
 · 
bucku

piss wall...
i wonder if i could copy right that and use it in my next design. how interesting would it be to just walk up to a wall and take a piss. (?) kind of reminds me of the trough urinals they used to have at fulton county stadium (braves old field) it was like a sixty foot trough that old men and young boys stood precariously next to one another trying to hide their own private areas from view.
actually, i went to a bar the other night and there was no shitter. on an L shaped trough that supported three men. talk about great planning.

Mar 28, 07 3:19 am  · 
 · 
bucku

i apoligize for rambling. it is getting late...

Mar 28, 07 3:20 am  · 
 · 

i uploaded this pdf to my personal website, i hope u find it useful.

http://moataz.faissal.googlepages.com/articles

Mar 28, 07 3:30 am  · 
 · 

the men's bathroom at deborah berke's museum/hotel here in louisville has a 'piss wall'. you stand at the glass wall urinal and look out at the hallway of the hotel where everyone passes.

the mirror at the lavatories also has video monitors embedded in it, with video of eyes watching you.

Mar 28, 07 7:30 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

our firm gets a corporate discount at that hotel. i have not taken a whizz there however.

Mar 28, 07 7:39 am  · 
 · 

you should try it. you keep touting this discount vado. come to town! bring lb!

Mar 28, 07 7:45 am  · 
 · 
antipod

The restaurant at fed square has a slot window behind the urinal so you can look back down over the whole bar and make sure your missus is behaving herself...

Mar 28, 07 9:05 am  · 
 · 

nothing special about the restrooms at early morphosis' kate manilini's, but the balcony/perch right outside the restroom doors upstairs is pretty cool.

but i don't think we're talking about public restrooms anymore.

does kahn's bathhouse count?

Mar 28, 07 9:26 am  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Damn mdler, you beat me to a George Michael joke! There was this bar/restaurant in Boston, unfortunately I don't remember the name. The urinals were filled with ice. It was odd. The stalls also has one way mirrors on the doors so you could watch people while you pooped or George Michaeled or whatever.

Mar 28, 07 9:46 am  · 
 · 
geimanj

Public restrooms have a whole new meaning here in NYC. Not long ago my girlfriend walked past a guy taking a big ol' dump right on the landing of one of the stairwells at the West 4th St subway station. I see guys peeing in public probably once a week, at least. The scarcity of public restrooms in NYC is ridiculous.

Mar 28, 07 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
geimanj

H-hoff- your namesak allegedly had a little tinkling issue not too long ago also...

Mar 28, 07 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
geimanj

namesake namesake. namesak sounds really bad...

Mar 28, 07 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

this thread goes right through me!!!

Mar 28, 07 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
Catcow

You didn't mean this

George Michael?!

Mar 29, 07 1:16 am  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

there are bathrooms at bar89 (?) i remember they had clear doors and when you locked it, they frosted over. i would always bug out that the frosting mechanism would fail while i was sitting on the toilet.

Mar 29, 07 2:05 am  · 
 · 
Alackrity

Holborn toilets used to have goldfish in the cisterns.

I designed a public toilet when I was an intern in 89. I went back four years ago and used it. Someone had remodeled it. It is so bad I'm never going to tell anyone where it is.

Mar 29, 07 2:10 am  · 
 · 
garpike

I peed on a wall in France. It was a hip bathroom. Basically it was some sort of shiny surface with a drain at the base. Awesome.

Mar 29, 07 3:06 am  · 
 · 
garpike

I believe it was the NYC bar in Lyon. Anyone been there? Next to Ayers Rock - the Austalian-themed bar? Near Nouvel's toaster...

Mar 29, 07 3:09 am  · 
 · 
mdler

geimanj

a few years back Nike did an add campaign for the NY marathon. It was a map of the city with all the public restrooms on it

Mar 29, 07 3:27 am  · 
 · 
mdler

I like how Vado has become LB's pimp

Mar 29, 07 3:28 am  · 
 · 
mdler

I once took a shit in a drywall mud bucket at a jobsite

Mar 29, 07 3:28 am  · 
 · 
bntz

A friend of mine was hungover on a studytrip and threw up and took a big dump on calatrava´s Milwaukee art museum

Mar 29, 07 11:21 am  · 
 · 
freq_arch

I did a two-holer in a park beside a highway once.
That was the day I decided to leave that job, by the way.
That and I had lost the will to live.

I'm mostly better, now.
Architect=therapy.

Mar 29, 07 11:33 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: