Archinect
anchor

know of any really cool sports buildings?

rippoff

I am co-editing a new book (commissioned by a reputable architectural publisher) on sports buildings and am searching for cool, not-much-previously-published smaller-scale sports facilties from around the world. If you have designed one, or know of one that you think I should know about please let me know.

I will consider anything sports related, from a cricket pavillion to a diving board, hopefully built within the last 10 years but great designs from more distant times also welcome.

I look forward to hearing from you all.

Mar 27, 07 2:40 pm

good timing there are some albeit crappy images of the different world cup venues

the ones of mention are the extension to Sabina Park, Beausejour in St Lucia and Kensington in Barbados

Mar 27, 07 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Well this one isn't too recent, but beautiful just the same.

Palazzetto dello sport
http://www.digischool.nl/ckv2/ckv3/kunstentechniek1/nervi/palazzetto_dello_sport.htm

and the Stadio dei Marmi
http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/europe/italy/lazio/roma_marmi.shtml

But it isn't particularly recent either. And the photos on those two sites kinda aren't so good.

Mar 27, 07 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
StuntPilot

Widely covered in skateboard magazines, but could be of use to a different audience - Burnside skatepark in Portland (under the Burnside bridge) The history of this place is very rich.

Mar 27, 07 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

What's the stadium in Paris where the slanted walls are covered in grass and they use remote control lawn mowers to maintain it? I loved how the exterior became a gathering place for the youth, misfits, and elderly alike. The "steps" and ledges were appropriated by skateboarders, rollerblades, and their on-lookers.

Stade de France and Parc des Princes are iconic.

Quite often, it seems stadiums are incredible from an aerial view but the effect is lost at the human scale.

Good luck with your interesting search!

Mar 28, 07 4:04 am  · 
 · 

Arsenal's emirates stadium is amazing, and of course the great newly opened Wembley.

Mar 28, 07 4:12 am  · 
 · 
horokeu

i'm not so sure about "not-much-previously-published" or "smaller scale" but i would say look into ptw's water cube for beijing. it does some pretty interesting things. gave a lecture at our school and showed a bunch of really neat images

Mar 28, 07 4:37 am  · 
 · 

these guys have done community sports facilities of different types that are very nice: rcr aranda pigem vilalta.

link: http://www.rcrarquitectes.es/

also, if you could contact the office of stanley saitowitz, he's got an unbuilt project for a skate park building - concessions, restrooms inside, skating on top! was designed for here in louisville but wasn't (and won't be) built.

Mar 28, 07 7:20 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: