Archinect
anchor

Hardware stores in NYC

thenewold

Hey all

I'm looking for a good hardware store in NYC that would sell a really wide variety of hareware sizes and types. Thanks for any help.

Mar 27, 07 11:30 am
Blue202

Home Depot... it's a small upstart company that has a few locations across the US. You may have heard of it.

Mar 27, 07 11:47 am  · 
 · 
thenewold

maybe I should have said 'specialty' or something. home depot doesn't cut it.

real, non-sarcastic responses would be fantastic...

Mar 27, 07 11:49 am  · 
 · 
l8rpeace

the sarcasm might have come from how vague your question was...

down where I live, Chinatown Lumber on East Broadway has good prices and lots of stock. But really, what eactly are you looking for?

Mar 27, 07 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

there's mike's lumber/hardware up on 88th between broadway and west end. But there pretty small. What do you mean by "specialty"?

Mar 27, 07 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

i agree with l8rpeace..chinatown lumber is pretty awesome...
there are also a ton of small specialty places below canal..
i know of another hardware store east of broadway on prince?
a street or two below canal..there are all kinds of plumbing
places...rubber..plastic...metal..as others have said..what
exactly are you looking for?

Mar 27, 07 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

and i know chinatown delivers...and on short notice too

Mar 27, 07 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
kpxkable

check around canal street

Mar 27, 07 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
thenewold

I'm looking for (6) 5/8"x3" lag bolts in any type of material or finish. 1/2" is the largest standard size you'll find at most stores. MSC has them so they do exist, I'd just like to get them locally.

and 'good' hardware store just means a place that carries more variety of stock of hardware and fasteners than a home depot or tru-value. I've always known these places in other cities I've lived in.

Mar 27, 07 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
futureboy

mcmasters is probably your best bet....sorry.

Mar 27, 07 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

i would check out some of the places below canal..
they seem to have a variety of fasteners...ss with a
square head drive type stuff..they probably have larger
lag bolts as well..tru value and home depot really market
towards the slightly above average consumer...not so
much to good contractors. i'd go somewhere a contractor
would go..

try chinatown and try the place i mentioned east of broadway
just below canal...it's one or two streets parallel to canal..
other than that i could call a couple metal guys i know..but
i think they usually order out of grainger or mcmaster..and
i don't think it's a bad thing keeping those guys in business
either.

Mar 27, 07 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
boing

it's pretty arrogant of you to dismiss the initial suggestion of home depot, sarcastic or not. the store downtown just off broadway in the mid-20's is huge and not the worst place to start your search. i found fixtures there that no one else in the city carried so cheaply. restoration hardware is good also and has unique items but not the most vast selection and its expensive. you could call some interior finish shops like ann sacks and get some referrals also.

Mar 27, 07 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

ann sacks and restoration hardware to find lag bolts?

Mar 27, 07 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

there was a fastener company with beautiful bolts over on the west side highway up about 18th or so. don't remember their name - bought stuff their back in 2001. look in a business to business yellow pages. there used to be loads of specialty suppliers- now macmaster and grainger are pushing them out of busine..

Mar 27, 07 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
thenewold

thanks for the suggestions, I need to explore the canal st area more for all this type of stuff on a day off. chinatown is like this mythical place where allegedly anything can be bought at 1/2 the price of some other place.. haha.

ArCCJJ - it's not arrogant, I've actually looked and called around quite a few places already. I work in Chelsea and was in that Home Depot yesterday morning and they don't carry that size lag bolt. I've also called around to 'good' (as recommended by city search type web sites) hardware stores and have been told repeatedly that 1/2" is the biggest most people carry.

Mar 27, 07 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
boing

come on people, get down off of your high horses and think outside of the box. people at both ann sacks and restoration hardware might have ideas where to look. i am so fucking sorry i wrote "you could call some interior finish shops like ann sacks and get some referrals also" instead of " you could call some interior finish shops like ann sacks TO get some referrals also". dicks.

Mar 27, 07 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
boing

uuh - just called my cousin and i know where you can get them, but i'm not telling because i can't stand arrogant and snotty people. if you're in chelsea, keep looking....

Mar 27, 07 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
thenewold

are you serious? you whine about people criticizing what you write and then act like this? are you 13 or something, jesus.

Mar 27, 07 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
squaresquared

I'll be the Home Depot naysayer here.

Aside from being a big-box store (which is contributing to the mall-ification of Manhattan), Home Depot sells old growth lumber and also endangered hardwoods. They were also contributors to George W. Bush's campaign in 2004.

Fuhgeddaboutit.

Mar 27, 07 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

archjj - get over yourself..
i'm not bein a dick...or at least not tryin to be..but ann sacks
and restoration hardware would be about the last place i would
look in new york city..

just seems to me that they wouldn't carry lagbolts either.. my
thought was that it didn't seem like a place you would find lagbolts.
and i stand by it...lagbolts aren't exactly finish hardware.

it was an honest question...and you're overreacting.

Mar 27, 07 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

and i definitely wasn't commenting on your grammar..wherever
that came from.

Mar 27, 07 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I used a hardware store in New York about 5 years ago, a client insisted on them being the supplier. Think the knob showed up
and cost about a hundred dollars. I found the same on on the internet for $4.00, so be careful where your shopping.

Mar 27, 07 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

snooker..was that nanz hardware?

Mar 27, 07 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
squaresquared

Doesn't Nanz only do custom?

Mar 27, 07 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

x22. nanz has a product line.. but i believe they make their
knobs to order..so not exactly custom..but sort of.

Mar 27, 07 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
JG

Nanz has a catalog and they do custom hardware, and 100 is cheap, try 400 dollars per knob.

For the lag bolts try Grainger on Varick, Lowes has a better fastener selection then Home Depot (they are located on 2nd Ave and 11th Street in Brooklyn right off the F Train Smith Street Stop), or you can try EK fastener (http://www.ekfastener.com/bolts.htm) they have almost any kind of fastener you can imagine, they too are in Brooklyn. Good Luck

Mar 27, 07 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
boing

larslarson- um, thanks. i know you weren't commenting on my grammar. I SUGGESTED ANN SACKS AS A PLACE TO GET A REFERRAL FROM SOMEONE WHO WORKS THERE. often times people at design centers have leads, just like people on architecture websites. think outside of the box - you never know when, from where, or from whom information will come to you.

Mar 27, 07 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

archjjjjj

i still don't understand why a high end merchant would know anything about where to get 5/8" lag bolts..which was my whole point from the
very beginning. i'd rather talk to a good cabinetmaker or metal worker in the area..but that's just me. they'll know all the manufacturer's and
hardware catalogs that cater specifically to what you're looking for...
and possibly where they can be purchased locally.

asking people at ann sacks and restoration hardware for a good
referral isn't thinking outside the box, it's a waste of time. but that's
just my opinion..and all i was trying to say from the very beginning.

Mar 27, 07 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

lars....guess I'm going to have to go pull out the undisclosed Entertainment personality file and see if I can find the name and address of the hardware store. It was actually her interior designer
who gave me the name of the place....guess cause it was expensive.... and he most likely was part owner...

Mar 27, 07 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
l8rpeace

autoparts stores usually carry assortments of lag bolts, too. sorry I don't have any recommendations in NYC for that, though.

Mar 27, 07 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
l8rpeace

btw, lars, chinatown lumber is even better when it's 1.5 blocks from your house like it is with me...

Mar 27, 07 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Jesus. What the hell is wrong with some people? Archjj, you're a MARK.

Mar 27, 07 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

l8rpeace..
i think we live in the same neighborhood...i'm right near the base
of the bridge across from the skate park...
and i go to chinatown lumber almost every weekend.
i love walkin through the back through all the layers on layers of
stuff..and comin out into the front...where those two guys write up
your order..they seem to have everything in there.

Mar 27, 07 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
l8rpeace

hah, see, lars, the back IS the front for me...I live on east broadway near the educational alliance. that "office" inside chinatown lumber kinda sneaks up on you as you pass all those materials. ever see that real old dude that sweeps up and carries things out for people (and smokes an occasional cig.)?

I pass your way every time I walk over to J&R, right past the police station...I'm taking the class I TA for, arch history, down to south street tomorrow morning to discuss urban fragments. I'll probably blog about it in my school blog tomorrow night...

Mar 27, 07 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

... and that skatepark, is AWESOME.

I work on Grand st.

I <3 Chinatown in the summer. and yes, Chinatown Lumber is like a time warp. Really cool stuff there.

Mar 27, 07 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
boing

What the hell is a MARK? Is it dirty? I hope it's dirty!! Can anyone be a MARK?

FYI -

My posts were intended to antagonize the thread. Satire helps me get through my day. I don't give a shit where you look for your lag bolt and, frankly, I didn't talk to my cousin either.

I have been fully entertained. So much angst over a little bolt!

Mar 27, 07 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Watch Menace to Society MARK.

Those are the ones who get shot in the early 90's movies for running their mouths...

You're just an e-MARK during the day and by night, an apologetic softy.

ps. I really don't care. He'll find his lag bolt. It's only the internet.

Mar 27, 07 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

define 'hardware'...

there are a few places in the Village that may satisfy your needs...

Mar 28, 07 1:45 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: