Archinect
anchor

Landscape Architecture Admissions

camilili

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone can attest to the competitiveness of admissions into MLA I programs. If you have been through the application process, know of admissions processes/criteria, or just other info, I would really appreciate your input.

Here is a little bit about my education/background.

I graduated from Washington University in St. Louis with a wretched GPA (2.88). Even though my GPA is so low, I got a 3.6 in my major, Photography, where I focused on building large scale installations dealing with domestic spaces. As an undergrad student, I started an annual student run installation exhibition in an apartment or a house. I also worked with the City of St. Louis and the public transportation outfit on projects to increase the visibility of art in the greater community. And I have an exceptionally strong portfolio of visually aesthetic and conceptually strong work (despite my low GPA).

After graduation, I continued on to graduate school to receive my MFA (I was admitted into some top notch schools, but for family reasons, chose to go to a lesser school closer to family, The Museum School, affiliated with Tufts univeresity)

I realized that the program was not for me, and that I was not sure that I wanted to focus on visual art, so I made the tough decision of leaving the program.

Afterward, I did an internship at MIT's List Visual Arts Center in fundraising, development, grant writing, and some exhibiton work. At the same time, I did a second internship at a theater in fundraising and development.

Following this, I worked in public art, assisting several artists in obtaining public work working with cities, municipalities, park systems, etc.

And then I moved to Seattle, where I was the Project Manager for the recast of public statue and the building of a public plaza. I worked closely with the architects, the department of parks and recreation, and other Seattle departments in order to complete this project. In my time with the project, I raised over 120k for this projet through grant writing, commuity events, and other fundraising efforts.

I went back to Boston briefly to do the the Career Discovery Program, focusing in Landscape Architecture, at Harvard's Graduate School of Design. I absolutely loved the program and the work, and realized that landscape integrated my art background, my love of community organization and urban space planning.

After finishing the program, i returned to seattle and took a job at an architecture firm in their marketing department. I assist in putting together project teams and put together SOQ materials in order to obtain work for our firm. The job is a good fit for my skill set, but ideally, I would have liked to work at a landscape architecture firm. Financially, i just couldn't hold out any longer.

Additional info: I got a 780 on the Math section of the GRE, a 5.5 on the writing section, and an abominably low score of 540 on the verbal section. I am thinking of retaking the test to improve my verbal score.

I have an excellent recommendation lined up from my landscape architecture instructor at the GSD as well as the head of the photography department at my undergraduate institution. I am still deciding who is going to be the third, but of course, i have time).

Oh, and i just started volunteering at a local architecture foundation giving tours of parks, plazas, and gardens in addition to "art+architecture -- outdoor spaces and indoor places."

Any thoughts on the strength of my application would be helpful and greatly appreciated. Also, any thoughts on ways i can improve my application to make me a stronger candidate would be great as well.

Thank you for your input!

Mar 27, 07 12:47 am
treekiller

its never too early to start the application process. it will take me a few minutes to get around to posting a full reply worthy of your novel length question, hope others join in...

the short answer is competion varies per program and year. the obvious choices are much harder to get into then those off the radar. Don't give up hope since you seem to have a great range of experience to compensate for your prior academic achievements. definately retake the GRE to get that score up- you have nothing to loose and everything to gain.

Mar 27, 07 9:34 am  · 
 · 
kakacabeza

You should probably look at the thread on recent MLA applications for some talk about schools, admissions, etc.

I just got finished with the application/admissions process. I got into all my schools, but had a really good GPA. I've heard that it doesn't matter too much, but 3.0 is usually a threshold where admissions commitees raise a flag. If your major GPA is higher, this might help. Also, if the bad hours occured early in your education, this is also good. Many programs focus on the last 60 hours or so in weighing GPA. A good GRE score might also offset a sub-par GPA

That being said, it sounds like you are motivated based on your novella post above. If this translates into your statement of intent and your letters of recommendation, and if your portfolio work is impressive, GPA and GRE won't matter.

Mar 27, 07 9:55 am  · 
 · 
dogfish

I wouldn't worry too much about the gre scores, your portfolio is far more important to most departments. I know at UW they get around 120+ applicants for the MLA program, admit around 15 each year.

Manmy prospective students take the summer studio course, intro to LA, a great way to get a feel for the dept and profession.

A great portfolio can make up for a lot.
good luck!

Mar 27, 07 10:12 am  · 
 · 
o d b

dogfish, do you mean uw in seattle or st. louis? is their summer program similar to the gsd's career discovery?

thx!

Mar 27, 07 10:21 am  · 
 · 
jwillefo

I just got through the admissions process as well and can tell you with first hand knowledge that GPA and the GRE hold very little weight. Of the five schools I applied to, three accepted me (LSU, RISD, GSD) and two put me on their wait-list (UVA, Penn). This is after graduating without a GPA -my college didn't believe in grades, tests or majors- and spending the last 7 years working in film and litigation. And if you had an "abominably low" GRE score, you'd probably have a stroke if you had received my score.

You've pretty much done everything a school can ask of you up to this point. Just put together a really good portfolio and nail the essay.

Mar 27, 07 10:30 am  · 
 · 
outside

Portfolio is what really matters, I didnt even take the GRE's even thought the programs I applied to required it, and they still accepted me. I wouldnt recomend doing this, but it just goes to show

Jun 16, 07 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
dci

Also, there are other routes to take to get a degree in landscape architecture. I could only apply to schools in the Philly area and will be attending Temple's BSLA program. I can get done in 3 years part time (I have a lot of science courses and two studio courses) will be very affordable and I'm really happy with the program. I got waitlisted at Penn, but am actually thinking that the less theoretical program at Temple is going to fit my needs better - I am a restoration ecologist/urban land manager currently.

I'm not saying not to go for an MLA - but if you really want to be a landscape architect - there are other options. Also, this board seems to be obessed with the top schools - there are many good programs out there that may be easier to get into - Minnesota and Oregon for example. Don't think that if you can't get into GSD or Penn that there is no reason to follow this path.

Hope this helps...

Jun 18, 07 10:20 am  · 
 · 
harrypotter46

Dci,

What other options are there besides the MLA if you want to be a landscape architect? I know that if you want to become a small residential landscape designer, then an MLA is not necessary.

Jun 18, 07 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

there are three ways of getting the experience to call yourself a landscape ________.

first, is just real world experience, working as a gardener, at a garden center, a florist, as a public servant for a parks department, as a farmer, contractor, or what ever. You'll be legally prohibited from calling yourself a landscape architect. this is what confuses most people who think that I mow lawns or can design their annuals for the foundation plantings...

second, is a pre-professional/non-accredited degree. These are any degrees in landscape design other then a BLA or MLA (more on those next). There are lots of schools that offer excellent education on horticulture, ecology, design, and practice that offer either degrees or certificates. examples include the UCLA Extension certificate in landscape architecture or the Conway School's masters program. Most states don't recognize these degrees as being sufficient to qualify for landscape architecture registration - there are exceptions. In CA a certificate holder can become registered after a few extra years. I personally think that certificate holders don't have the proper education to be engaged on complex large projects and are best suited to residential scale projects - but I am biased. Most non-professional degree holders call themselves 'landscape designers' to avoid legal issues with the state.

then there are the programs accredited by the LAAB which issue BLAs and MLAs. With these degrees, you qualify to take the Landscape Architecture Registration Exam (in all states and provinces but VT) after a few years experience. once you pass and accrue the designated amount of professional experience post graduation, you can legally call yourself a 'landscape architect' and engage in all types of projects that require professional registration. A BLA typically is a 4 or 5 year undergrad program. The MLA comes in three flavors- a three year version for everybody who doesn't have an undergrad design degree (architecture & landscape typically). if you got a design background, then some schools will allow you to get the MLA in two years. Finally, if you have a BLA, you can get a post-professional MLA in one year (this is rare)...

there is a final way to become a 'landscape architect'. that is to be registered architect or professional engineer in some states and decide that you want to become a landscape architect... there are few limits on other registered design professionals stepping into our field, but landscape architects can't practice architecture or engineering!!!!

there are also graduate programs in urban design, urban planning, regional planning, environmental science, horticulture, and joint programs with landscape and fields like real estate, planning, architecture, preservation and more...

ok, that is five ways to play with landscape architecture.

some of the links to fully understanding what you're getting into include:

ASLA
CLARB

Jun 18, 07 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
dci

google7600 ,

just to echo what treekiller so nicely laid out - rather than getting an MLA which is a full time 3 year degree, you could consider a part-time 4 year bachelors degree from an accredited program (a BSLA or BLA). for me, that path is making more sense b/c i already have a masters in restoration ecology, i can go part time, and the program is a slightly better fit than the local mla program (which didn't want me either....).

these programs tend not to be too competive to be accepted into like many of the big name mla programs, but often after the first year of classes they determine if you can continue. due to my coursework, they are letting me skip the first year and go directly into the second year and since i have other degrees i don't need to do any thing other than the remaining required classes.

hope this helps.

Jun 18, 07 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
Nirmit

What about backlogs? Like i have 10 backlogs and i am applying for fall 2019.

How much will my backlog affect my overall profile? Also i had an extended 6 months because i could not clear a particular subject. So that means i completed my UG in 4.5 years. How much will that affect my profile? 

Nov 12, 18 3:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: