Archinect
anchor

Architecture mags?

Philarct

Anybody subscribe to any Architecture Magazines?
i went to barnes and noble and saw a few
wanted to ask u guys before i buy one and forget
about it forever, are their their any good architect
books out there?

Mar 26, 07 8:11 pm
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

nope. no good architect books anywhere. sorry.

Mar 26, 07 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
morgan2sims

architecture record is nice

Mar 26, 07 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
jackalope

There are a ga-jillion architecture books. You'll have to narrow it down some.

AR is a good magazine but a bit corporate. I think Details magazine is pretty much kick ass. You'll have to import it somehow, its European.

Mar 26, 07 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

I received invaluable information on how to find a delicate match between the tonal pattern of my bathroom curtains, toilet runner, and knit "bless this mess" picture above my sink from Architectural Digest, so that comes with my highest recommendation. Also looks great on your (dentist's) coffee table.

Mar 26, 07 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
rabbits

Yeah, "Architectural Digest" (or as I call it, "The Digest") is probably the #1 industry publication. It has been invaluable to my practice.

-andrew

Mar 26, 07 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
rabbits

In all seriousness, tho...

The best mags aren't at B&N, and most are european. Here are some of my fav mags/journals:

2G (spain)
El Croquis (spain)
Quaderns (spain)
A10 (germany)
Architectura Viva (spain)
AD (usa)
A+U (japan)

Amazon might have a few of these. They aren't cheap either (at least $40/issue) but they are worth it. Its like crack, only with plans and sections.

-andrew

Mar 26, 07 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
rabbits

AV Projectos is awesome too, if you read spanish...

Mar 26, 07 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
cmu268

Dwell Magazine is really good

its all about modern living and green design

Mar 26, 07 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
cvankle

Yeah detail is great, and they will give you the student rate even as a US student, just have to send them a photocopy of your student ID. I just did it this week, at that rate I can actually talk myself into buying a subscription.

Mar 26, 07 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
rabbits off to a great start...

to add to his list

Architecture Review (uk)

Mar 26, 07 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

...and to be serious, I'm a big fan of Praxis, even though it seems like it never comes out

Mar 26, 07 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke
M O N O C L E !
Mar 26, 07 11:46 pm  · 
 · 
morgan2sims

A+U is great! also JA or japan architects. they're a bit expensive tho

Mar 27, 07 12:09 am  · 
 · 
Somnambulist

Metropolis is nice as well, and at a pretty decent price.

DETAIL magazine is really, really nice, as is The Plan which is fairly new.

Mar 27, 07 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

also try the Architect's newspaper

http://www.archpaper.com/

Mar 27, 07 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

YES...the architects newspaper is great...they just came out with a California edition...i got the 1st issue last month.

Mar 27, 07 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
cmu268

Eco-Structure

Mar 27, 07 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
Medit
A10 (germany)

I bought a couple of numbers of A10 and it's pretty good, but it's not german, they come from Amsterdam - http://www.a10.eu/

I'm subscribed to 3 spanish magazines -and read The Architectural Review at the office- but regularly check out on-line articles from lots of other magazines - http://www.geocities.com/medit1976/links.htm

Mar 27, 07 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
kakacabeza

If you like contemporary residential, try Houses...its from Austrailia and some bookstores carry it. Of course, Australia's climate seems to lend itself to cool architecture...

Mar 27, 07 4:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: