Archinect
anchor

300 vs Gladiator

difficultfix

This is the debate at my office....
who would win a battle the 300 king of sparta.....

or Maximus of gladiator.....

In my office most people say Maximus....

I would say king leonidas because he killed that huge ugly giant monster that was part of the immortals....maximus would have probably crapped in his pants..since he never saw any ugly giant monster looking figure in his life......

just my opinion.....anyways...

Mar 26, 07 7:35 pm
liberty bell

God Gladiator was the suckiest movie of all time.

Leonidas could crush Maximus with a toenail.

Mar 26, 07 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

lb has a point.

Mar 26, 07 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

the sacred band of thebes defeated a spartan phalanx and they were gay...

Mar 26, 07 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
Philarct

leonidas would definetly win
1st off he's been fighting since he was a child
2nd he's cooler
Maximus was cool for his time, now its leonidas'
turn

Mar 26, 07 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Maximus was never cool.

Now Leonidas vs. William Wallace (Braveheart) might be a battle.

Mar 26, 07 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
PostDepot
Philarct

lb ur right
if wallace did it for scotland
then we'd have a real battle

Mar 26, 07 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i am SPARtACuS!!!

Mar 26, 07 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
Philarct

no im Spartacus!, uh i meant uh, Zoro!

Mar 26, 07 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Leonidas v. Aragorn?

Mar 26, 07 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
upside

Leonidas v. Columbia

Mar 26, 07 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

vado, did you know those subtitles are in turkish?

i could have been in that audience. i am spartacus.

Mar 26, 07 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

i meant SPARTAKUS

Mar 26, 07 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

Xerxes' plotters were broken all the time ... Leonidas has this awesome 5-axis robot arm mill.

Mar 26, 07 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

my money would be on leonidas, even though i enjoyed both films.

Mar 27, 07 1:14 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

who shall win in a threesome between Leonidas, Maximus and Zaha ?

Mar 27, 07 2:08 am  · 
 · 
designbydesign

If you have a PC. Download TVUplayer. I watched 300 on it.

Mar 27, 07 2:12 am  · 
 · 
nomadzilla

300 was total bull-shit,
why is this shit posted on archinect anyway?
it should be on a movie forum somewhere else.

Mar 27, 07 6:19 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

yeah what gives this has nothing to do with grad school applications,acceptances or related anxieties.

Mar 27, 07 9:03 am  · 
 · 
Tarheel_11

You people have seriously smoked yourselves retarded. Gladiator was the shit. Maximus would kick anybody's ass. Period. And to everyone else bitching about this not being the right place to discuss this, get a life.

Mar 27, 07 9:50 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

the difference being of course that leonidas and spartacus were actual people. the hoplite was a heavy infantryman but also dependent upon a certain critical mass of troops to be fully effective.

Mar 27, 07 9:56 am  · 
 · 
nomadzilla

theone,
i agree that maximus can kick anybodys ass, but really ,
at least find a itsy-bitsy relation between 300 or gladiator and architecture, this sort of shit-talk doesn't have to do with having a life...

FACT:Archinect: making architecture more connected (since 1997)
it's as simple as that..

Mar 27, 07 10:12 am  · 
 · 
cynic

nomadzilla,

this IS real architecture.
a) architecture comes from every part of our daily lives...especially pop culture. besides, have you seen '300'...?
b) networking relies on relationships...conversations like this build those relationships

this should not have to be pointed out to you.....it's sort of like having to explain the punchline of a funny joke

Mar 27, 07 10:23 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

feel free to talk/write/post topics about architecture.

Mar 27, 07 10:27 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

besides, when was the last time we actually talked about architecture anyway?

Mar 27, 07 10:27 am  · 
 · 
aspect

if the Gladiator happen to be american, they will win!!

Mar 27, 07 11:40 am  · 
 · 
aspect

regarding the architectural aspect, i think greg lynn had written something about body building compare with the ancient greek and the american gladiator which is made by gyn equipment.

Mar 27, 07 11:47 am  · 
 · 
nomadzilla

vado retro,cynic and others;

i accept what you're saying;
if the thread is not meant to be Directly about architecture, thats fine with me;

but honestly as a Persian, i really hate 300, since it's not based on any real event, it's only purpose is to create a bad image of persians and thats what bothers me as a persian-american well aware of my persian heritage;

sorry if i offended anyone, but 300 really offended me.

maybe we could find a architectural aspect to the gladiator or other heroic hollywood movies someday!

PEACE!!!

Mar 27, 07 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
Tarheel_11

nomadzilla,

This forum connects architects who are, at times, far more than the sum of their built or unbuilt projects. My point was that this thread was specifically about a non-architectural subject and anyone entering it should be aware of that from the outset. It is after all in the SUBJECT line, therefor the bitching is just people typing to see their words appear somewhere. If you don't like the thread, chose another instead of complaining.

Mar 27, 07 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
Tarheel_11

Does the term "suspension of disbelief" mean anything anymore?

Mar 27, 07 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

the 300 was based on the battle of Thermopylae in 480 b.c.

Mar 27, 07 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

the gladiator is about the power of spectacule. 100% architecture.

300 redefine the movie structure... no montages juz scenes from CG games. 100% architecture.

Mar 27, 07 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

a writer once commented: no one is stopping the iranian to spend $$$$millions to make a "correct" version to distribute around the world.

Mar 27, 07 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

Aspect - it was rem who wrote about the NY athletic club in delirious NY. now rem can kick leonid's hordes back into babylon!

Mar 27, 07 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

In the original plot for "300", Xerexes was allegedly enriching uranium for the development of nuclear weapons. Leonidas was dispatched to stop him in the interest of democracy not only for Greece, but the free world.

Oh, and BTW, Leonidas would wipe the floor with Maximus and his wife was much hotter...

Mar 27, 07 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
job job

treekiller it was Greg Lynn who wrote on the Sword of the Pig by Longo - in Folds Bodies Blobs

here

Mar 27, 07 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
nomadzilla

good one dml955i!!!

"Persepolis is under sanction!"

do you think if it wasn't for political reasons, they would have still made this movie.

i think if we were still in the cold war, greece would have had a war with the solviet union!

Mar 27, 07 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

"greece" did not exist. in fact, city states such as thebes and argos actually were on the side of the persians.

Mar 27, 07 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
nomadzilla

i know, my bad;

vado retro;

athens was the main "city state" in war with persia, right?

yet, those wars are sometimes called the "Greek-Persian" wars, so i guess it's more than just a few cities we're talking about.

I think the 300 will make me go back to my old "will dorante" history books once again.

Mar 27, 07 4:33 pm  · 
 · 

the real questions are;

1. who had better abs
2. who went home and did 20 sit ups
3. who wore the smaller man-skirt
4. who had the better tan

and finally

5. was that the same wheatfield?

Mar 27, 07 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

also remember that fifty years later the persians supported the spartans against athens in the peloponnesian wars.

Mar 27, 07 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

Why does everyone think the world revolves around them? A comic book movie to insult a whole race? Yeah, the director/writer clearly had time for such in depth analysis between bong hits and counting his potential cash.

And what's with the Maximus hate? Maximus fought tigers, chariots, and a 8' masked dude. Clearly a tie.

Mar 27, 07 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
nomadzilla

vado retro;

nice info you got there, it seems like your more into history than architecture!

my applause; i think knowing history is really important to become a good architect;
knowing the PRESENT communities your designing for is also critical for an architect.

Mar 27, 07 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

in all honesty nomad, i got the reverse out of the film. Think about it, a small rag-tag group of nothing-to-lose warriors-since-birth death-is-glorious types vs. a global superpower drunk with power and fat with wealth of thousands of exploited nations, plus overwhelming odds to boot.

Think about it. It seems history isn't without a sense of irony, as the Battle of Thermopolyae did happen.

Now that i've completely flamed my own country, i think there's still a ray of hope to be gleamed between America and Iran. Here's to hoping cooler heads prevail.

Mar 27, 07 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

he's called herodotus...

Mar 27, 07 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
cadalyst

Maximus, hands down.

I felt 300 was not worth my $9.50

Mar 27, 07 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

i think tafuri mentioned about no version from any historian holds THE truth about history, its always been a jack saw puzzle.

and why should a blockbuster CG mega hits derived from comic books needs to hold truth about history? and neither do architecture...

lighten up!!

Mar 27, 07 11:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: