Archinect
anchor

first real job

sureel08

i have been sending out resumes and work sample booklets reccently and manged to connect with a few interviews, they were small firms with no current openings (stated to me before the interview). my current dilema is that i am looking in the boston and providence area and i am currently in grad school in a different part of the country. my question is two part: 1)what is the best way to deal with the contacting/interview process seeing that i am nowhere near the two cities? 2) do anyone know what the job market is like in the boston/providence area for recent grads (M.Arch w/ 1 summer intership during undergrad)...more opportunity in the large/corporate world or small firm?

thanks in advance for any info.

Mar 26, 07 6:28 pm
jackalope

My buddy works at cbt architects in Boston. Seems its pretty much like the Virginia and NC area, they're all looking for talent. I would submit to you that you will not get the perfect job straight out of grad school. Be willing to settle for something that pays the bills. Once you get your feet wet and see what the Beantown scene is all about, you'll be able to go for the best firms for you.

Mar 26, 07 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
sureel08

thanks for the info...im honestly not too picky about my first job...any experience is good experience at this point....finding a firm where entry-level/intern isnt 2-5 years experience is the tricky part for me right now as my interviews have hinted that the intership i did pretty much meant nothing (although it was a very valuable experience to me).

with such "limited" experience would i be best to pursue the larger firms who have the financial backing or is it somewhat of a right time - right place senario?

Mar 26, 07 10:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: