Archinect
anchor

Conceptual sketches/minimal sketches

Monolith

Just wondered if anyone had either any of their own, or any links to sites containing conceptual sketches. Time to time in architectural books, I come across interesting minimal sketches and would like to get an idea of how to work in this style. I'd be glad to see anything on/of sketches to be honest!

Struggling a bit to find decent links if anyone can pipe up with any?

Mar 26, 07 2:09 pm

not terribly minimal... but conceptual and sketches:

Mar 26, 07 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
Monolith

Nice work Steven! This is the type of thing I;m looking for. Keep em coming folks!

Mar 26, 07 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
aml

not a minimal building, but always liked mendelsohn's sketch for the einstein tower:

Mar 26, 07 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Monolith

sketching, especially conceptual sketching, should be done in any manner that you feel confortable with. The sketch is an idea, a record of an idea, a solution to a problem...

many people (myself included) fetishsize over the sketch to the point that the sketch becomes more important than the idea that it represents.

Try to use the sketch to get your idea (or someone elses) on paper...

we all love beautiful sketches...

Mar 26, 07 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
n_

check out the book titled "sketches"

Mar 26, 07 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
Monolith

My sketches look rather crap compared to many I've seen. Currently working through 'Drawing on the right side of the brain'. I suppose once I've 'mastered' that and start my degree course at Liverpool this coming Sept, I'll develop my own style. Great to see other's though to get a picture of perspective sketching.

Mar 26, 07 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
cmu268

a lot of times my thesis advisor loved a sketch i had on a napkin more than some of my actual drawings....i think b/c usually these conecptual sketches contain such a pure idea, which might get a little lost when your producing a million drawings

Mar 26, 07 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
Monolith

Mmmm, makes sense I would think. Often you'll have an idea on a bus or something and it just comes to you for an instant. (Which is why I ALWAYS have my moleskine and Copic 0.2mm fineliner on me!)

The book "sketches" eh?Who's that by then?

Mar 26, 07 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I'm one of those people who's constantly sketching. I haven't yet started my M.Arch, but I've done 6.5 years of full-time post-secondary art and design education already.

I don't know how much sketching is valued in architecture school/jobs these days, but one of my industrial design professors thought it was basically pointless. I rebelled and drew constantly.

One of the issues I think I'll run into sooner or later is that all of my sketches begin with an aerial 2-point perspective. As a furniture designer, this makes sense, as that's how we interact with most furniture. Not so with architecture, for the most part. From my rough sketches I'd go right into Rhino, never bothering with plan/elevation drawings, since CAD files are really all you need when you're dealing with small products.

I'm a bit old-school, and I'll never give up the sketch, even if it's just for fun. It helps me solve things a lot faster than on the computer, and it's very satisfying to get these ideas out so quickly and intuitively.

Mar 27, 07 3:13 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

post some sketches!!

Mar 27, 07 10:30 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

It was like 3am when I posted that... not busting out the sketchbook and firing up the scanner at that hour. Maybe soon, though.

But I agree - let's see some drawrins, people!

Mar 27, 07 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
French

Monolith
Are you talking about handdrawn sketches or computer sketches?

Mar 27, 07 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

i sketch constantly and fill up at least one rhodia no. 16 per month, but almost none of my sketches are anything i would ever post here. they're just means to an end, and thank god i've gotten to that point, because i used to fetishize sketching, too. to the point where i wasn't working through things, i was more interested in how cool the drawings looked.

Mar 27, 07 1:48 pm  · 
 · 

not sure what you meant by minimal so I added a bit of minimal architecture

Mar 27, 07 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
not without

ideas.....hmmmm...hmmm...how about? no...what about?....no, that sucks too...let me see.......not bad, i could do that.....maybe a little less foam.....remove the post-it.....no, leave the post-it.........whats this? ohhhhh....shin guards...nice......well, half a shin guard...better..............hmm.......sssss...........no, that sucks! whats thattt.......yes! the sippy cup! totalleeee.....oh hi! yeah the sippy cup was my idea..no, ive never seen that.... really? in the 40's? oh....i guess i didnt look there, but....yeah, less foam.....yeah...yeah.......ok....what about the fingernails? i know, its very 2002, but....ok.....any other ideas? sketches? well, i could but.......with a dandelion?...well, yellow is kinda...yeah i could, yeah.....minimal? like, john pawson minimal?...oh, right......no, i don't.......ok, yeah...like....yeah, thats good. shavings....no, not allergic.....oh, allergenic? yeah..good..any other ideas?

Mar 27, 07 2:12 pm  · 
 · 

try reading'/looking at Aldo Rossi the Sketchbooks

Mar 27, 07 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
Monolith

Thanks for the responses guy and girls. I'll post some of my 'attempts' up just as soon as I have had a look at how to add an image here. Lets see some more sketches huh!?

Mar 27, 07 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

i sketch a lot. most of the time, though, it's just random stuff. i really should focus my sketching, keep a sketchbook, bla bla bla. this one i did @ work while i was bored.

Mar 27, 07 7:21 pm  · 
 · 

nice sketch cris - i like how the 3d becomes the sections (is that 3
dh?)

Mar 27, 07 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
Monolith

Aye it is a nice sketch. As a total punter, I'm finding it hard to correctly use my fineliner in a lot of instances. I.e., it's very difficult to sometimes tell where edges are. When I post some of my attempts up, you'll see what I mean.

Any more for any more...?

Mar 28, 07 5:21 am  · 
 · 
Mar 28, 07 8:19 pm  · 
 · 

i am a terrible sketcher. my handwriting also sucks.if i am doing a perspective sketch i always run outside of the paper at hand. i never was good at drawing freehand but was much better when i used to force myself to draw more.
that is a big disadvantage because you can sell your your ideas better if you can draw really well, granted you have good design ideas. people always respect to somebody who can draw well.
my first couple of lines are usually good but i loose the discipline shortly after.
drawings are really abstract things. i love pre perspective eastern miniatures. where the images are flattened but extremely communicative of the three dimensional space. i wish it was an acceptable form of documenting in western mind/civilization. it seems like this method would be ideal for developing and documenting architecture.
perspectives are nice but they are also very conning as they tend idealise the situation and jump the reality in favor of cartesian grid.

here are some examples of miniatures;

interior;

notice how the water feature in the center of the drawing is shown as plan;

and, exterior. note the almost reversed perspective. note the scale relationships established according to the story or hiarchy. containing coded series of information. very interesting.

Mar 28, 07 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

sketching should morph into "Design Drawing"...

tis a title of a book by Kirby Lockard...

think lb...would agree.

Mar 28, 07 10:09 pm  · 
 · 

abra - I don't see why you cant sketch that way. You can consider it your own path kind of like that movie shine But I think those abstracts cum collages are beautiful

Mar 28, 07 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

I like Siza's sketches even better than his buildings. For some reason, he always is drawing someone on a horse.

Mar 28, 07 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

And then of course there is this guy, who's sketches are pretty spare... his buildings not so much:

Mar 28, 07 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

orhan,

i have a similar problem. before i started a-school i could draw really well. i broke my hand playing rugby and since then, my sketches and handwriting have gone to sh*t.

i was basically forced to use moleskine sketchbooks in europe, and it really helped expedite quick sketches.
however, if they had one that alternated between squared and blank pages, i'd be a lot happier.

Mar 28, 07 11:14 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

Mar 29, 07 1:00 am  · 
 · 
dia

agfa8x, thats not a sketch - its a work of art.

Mar 29, 07 1:20 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

thanks db, but it's genuinely sketchbook work (just very selected sketchbook work).

Mar 29, 07 1:49 am  · 
 · 
J3

and

Mar 29, 07 7:46 am  · 
 · 
FormuLA
http://sp5.fotologs.net/photo/53/62/44/formula/1173206037_f.jpg

sketchbook entries.... for what they are worth

Mar 29, 07 2:56 pm  · 
 · 

everyone's sketches are so uncluttered compared to mine (notice the lack of architecture)

Mar 29, 07 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
Gabe Bergeron

These aren't directly architectural, but they're great conceptual sketches by Eduardo Chillida, Spanish modern sculptor:

Mar 29, 07 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

awesome sketches guys! it's good to see that people can/still do sketch.

pixelwhore and j3, those are dope!

i'll try and dig up some more of mine.

Mar 29, 07 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

MDLER WAS HERE

Mar 29, 07 6:18 pm  · 
 · 

mdler is playing online tag-"your (sh)it"

Mar 29, 07 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

MDLER WAS HERE

Mar 29, 07 6:24 pm  · 
 · 

i find I along with minimum 3 daily posts to archinect, I have to sketch 3 times as well; otherwise i might come down with a cold or something

Mar 29, 07 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

this is were it all started

Mar 29, 07 11:12 pm  · 
 · 

uhmmm

Mar 29, 07 11:32 pm  · 
 · 

went to the museum the other day to draw boats:

Mar 29, 07 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

nice 765. i love boats out of the water.

Mar 29, 07 11:50 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

Mar 30, 07 4:54 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

i have tried so many times to get calligraphy going, but I just haven't got the touch. I can't make all my strokes even vaguely equal.

Mar 30, 07 4:59 am  · 
 · 

yeah, that looks like fun, dammson.

Mar 30, 07 8:52 am  · 
 · 

try ruled paper at first dammson...

Mar 31, 07 1:12 am  · 
 · 

for some nice minimal sketches by a master, see the ones (with the buildings they represent shown adjacent) in the multimedia piece here: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/01/style/tmagazine/04well.mendes.t.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Apr 1, 07 9:46 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)
Apr 1, 07 3:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: