Archinect
anchor

Tough decision... need help deciding

kpxkable

Currently, iam majoring architecture (undergrad)at Parsons the new school for design. However i found out that the school wasnt so great in architecture. In 4 years i get a Bachelors of Fine Arts in Architecture, a completely different degree from a 5 yr program
Therefore, i applied to the architecture program at Pratt. And just recently, ive been accepted. For a while i was set on transfering to Pratt because they offered a Bachelors of architecture and because the program there is pretty decent and stable.
Unfortunately, i also found out none of my credits transfered and only recieved a 5g scholarships per year (i was getting around 17g per year at Parsons).
So basically if i do happen to transfer, i will be facing 2 additional years in undergrad and be spenting alot more money.
So my question is this... Is it worth it if i transfer now? I'll have to startover as a freshman but i feel ill get a better education at Pratt
However, my main concern is the money... i dont want to spend the rest of my life paying off my tution because i also plan on going on to graduate school.

I have 2 choices
1. continue my edu at Parsons for 3 more years and earn a BFA in architecture. Then go to a graduate school for 3 more years to earn a MFA
2. transfer to pratt to earn a BA in 5 years.

So basically by the time i complete my five years at pratt ill have already completed my 4 years at Parsons and have only 1 year left for my MFA
However, iam more about getting a better education than completing in time
But still, i appreciate any advice, suggestions
thankyou

Mar 26, 07 10:57 am
Living in Gin

Are you planning to become a registered architect? If so, you'll need either a B.Arch. or an M.Arch. degree, not a MFA.

Mar 26, 07 11:01 am  · 
 · 
kpxkable

yea sorry its my mistake... i meant to say M.arch

Mar 26, 07 11:04 am  · 
 · 
Medusa

If I were in that situation, I'd just finish up at Parson's and then get the M.Arch at Pratt or somewhere else.

If you had no intention of going to grad school, then you should transfer to a school where you can get a B.Arch.

Also, leave your options open to other schools. There are lots in the NY area.

Mar 26, 07 11:07 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

You mention you have three more years to go on your BFA degree... Can I assume you're finishing up your freshman year? What don't you like about the program there?

I was pretty much in your shoes 10 years ago... I was in a BA program that I hated, I dropped out, and spent the next few years trying to transfer into a B.Arch. program. Now I'm finishing my BA on a part-time basis at a different university with hopes of going to grad school for my M.Arch. this year or next.

If I had to to it all over again, I would have stuck it out and finished my BA degree, and then gone to a better school for my M.Arch. degree. I've pissed away a lot of time and money trying to find the "perfect" undergrad program when I didn't even really know what I wanted.

It sounds like Parsons is giving you a pretty good deal financially, and if you make the most of your BFA degree and have some good work in your portfolio, you shouldn't have any trouble getting into a good M.Arch. program at Pratt or elsewhere. I think the industry is leaning more and more heavily toward the M.Arch., and by the time you're done with your BFA you should have a much clearer idea of what you want to get out of your professional M.Arch. degree.

Just my $.02....

Mar 26, 07 11:14 am  · 
 · 
med.

If I were you, I would just stay at Parsons. You have a good set up there with the funding that they're giving you.

You can always get your m.arch after you graduate. It will only take two years ... well at most places that is. Just do well enough the next three years to get into a good program.

Just my opinion.

Mar 26, 07 11:44 am  · 
 · 

I agree. And wouldn't an M.Arch only take two years since he has a pre-professional degree?

Mar 26, 07 11:48 am  · 
 · 

will have, I mean, sorry.

Mar 26, 07 11:49 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I don't think a BFA is considered a pre-professional degree, so he'd probably end up doing 3 years in grad school. I think it would still be worth it, though.

Mar 26, 07 11:51 am  · 
 · 
med.

In my experience, an M.Arch is 3.5 years for those who have no undergrad background in architecture.

For those who have 4-year non professional degrees in architecture, (Bachelor of Arts) they can get advanced standing in most grad programs and it would take them two years to finish it. A friend of mine completed a bachelor of arts in architecture at Miami U. for 4 years, and then finished his masters from UVA in two years. I beleive it works the same way in most places.

So in respect to the Parsons individual, he/she should just settle down finish the training there and then go to grad school after. From what I understand, a masters degree looks better on a resume and can get you a slightly better salary. ((I'm waiting for people to totally lose their shit over that last statement)).

Mar 26, 07 11:58 am  · 
 · 
not without

I'M THE DECIDER! STAY PUT! GODDAM IT!

Mar 26, 07 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Parsons' BFA in architecture is an NAAB-evaluated "4" component of a "4+2" program. This means that Parsons students generally get advanced standing in M.Arch programs that do offer advanced standing (though not all do). So, he can expect that an M.Arch program could be as short as 2 years (or up to 3 or 3.5 if he chooses an M.Arch program that doesn't typically do advanced standing.)
Parsons' program is excellent preparation for an M.Arch program and students often get accepted to the most competetive schools.
But if he's just a freshman then he's not really even in the architecture department yet. If he does want to transfer elsewhere this would be the best point at which to do that. The longer he stays the less likely anything will transfer anywhere else.

Mar 26, 07 12:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: