Archinect
anchor

colored glass doors

marmkid

has anyone ever used a glass door that had some colored glass in it?
i am adding a balcony door on to my house and was thinking about having a full glass door, as i am replacing the only window in the room with it. i thought it the door was one of those wood doors with like a 3x5 glass panels in it, if some of the panels would be colored, it could be nice
i'm having some trouble finding doors like this, and was hoping to not have to go completely custom with it

anyone know of anything like this?
thanks

Mar 25, 07 8:09 pm

if it's an exterior door, that should mean that it has an insulated glass unit in it.

it's not uncommon to order this glass unit with a colored surface on the third face, or have an additional material made into the unit, but this is usually done in a commercial project in which the budget can absorb the cost. it may seem expensive as a one-off home project. or not?! check with a door/window distributor: weathershield, hurd, etc.

if nothing else you could just apply a color film to the glass. then you have the option of taking it off later if you get sick of it.

Mar 25, 07 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
art tech geek

you might try something in a bullseye glass or other glass supplier for stained glass. - but I don't know if they have colored glass that size........... I think most of the pieces are a bit smaller. I would just replace / reglaze the french door. You might check out a HFH outlet store if they have one in your neighborhood. In the LA area - there was (don't know if its still there) a clear select or better - no flaws, vert grain doug fir SL french door for $55........... it was marked down and a near give away price. It would pay for swapping out or adapting with really nice glass to your taste.

On the idea of the films......... translucent 3m sign vinyls might work - but they do fade after several years and begin to look shop worn.

Mar 25, 07 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
jbirl

We have spec'd Simpson doors with no glass and had other glass installed later.

It cost more than stock obviously.

I think Pella and Andersen have some glass options within their stock choices. Check Simpson too...

Mar 26, 07 8:19 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: