Archinect
anchor

Moving....across the country, ocean, planet

cpnorris

yeah AAA also lobbies against public transportation and for more highways.

May 14, 07 11:05 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I don't think you can reserve a truck too early. My move isn't until the end of June, but I reserved my truck around the beginning of April. If your plans change, you can always change the reservation. I don't think most places will charge your credit card until you actually pick up the equipment.

May 14, 07 11:36 am  · 
 · 
KEG

I just got a quote from U-Pack (the pod thing they pick up and deliver) and it was for $1800!??!?

door to door, full service movers are quoting $900-$950 and they move everything in and out and disasemble/ reassemble furniture.

I got a quote online for a minivan (to drive cross country) and it was over $2000- that doesn't include gas & hotels.

it seems that door to door movers are cheapest. odd.

May 14, 07 2:32 pm  · 
 · 

Well, it all varies widely depending on the length of the move and amount of stuff one has. The length of my move is cross country.... the short way (north/south), and the minivan comes in at under $400 for me. Hmmm, I wonder if I can get one with a bike rack on it? That would be perfect, although it would still work without one. Something new to go search for...

May 14, 07 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

rationalist- where are you moving from/ to again?

May 14, 07 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

WhatToDo, I find it VERY hard to believe that legitimate full service movers are actually less than a minivan rental. That's not possible. I mean with labor and everything? That's just shady. A week's long minivan rental should NOT cost you more than $750, even if you are taking it from one end of the country to the other. Where are you looking? Have you used Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity and all that? Make sure to check out the national car rental chains and compare their prices as well.

Also did you read the beginning of the thread? People who are much wiser than us in this great undertaking have posted some very informative web sites to check out to make sure that we don't get scammed. Make sure your "door to door, full service movers" don't show up on a scam list somewhere.

May 14, 07 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

I have heard horror stories about the people who take your stuff for you and deliver it. If you search through archinect threads you can find some helpful things to read.

I think I have found the cheapest way to move, though it wouldn't work for everyone I don't think. I am renting a small U-Haul trailer and towing it with my car. The trailer rental is $95 for one week. Doesn't get any cheaper than that. My car can only pull a 4' x 4' x 8' trailer so its pretty small, but I don't have a whole lot of stuff so it should work fine. I looked at renting a truck and it was $700 for a 10' truck and $950 for the same truck with a car trailer. Add to that 1800 miles/12 mpg x $3.00 per gallon = $450 in gas. Moving is expensive.

May 14, 07 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

do you think anyone thinks i'm a failure because i go home to Starla everynight? forget about it.

May 14, 07 3:17 pm  · 
 · 

meh, with the right set of circumstances, you can get some very suprising results, so I believe it.

WhatToDo- I'm going from LA to Seattle. Fortunately only a one-night stopover somewhere in Oregon. I could do it in a day if I really pushed it, but I'd like to take some coastal road and see the country a bit and have a nice time of it instead.

May 14, 07 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Steven you are right about Triple A's lobbying efforts of course. But I'm keeping them anyway. They towed me for free from Louisville to Indy, so I'm actually COSTING them money, no?

I respect your decision on this one, but have to decline to follow suit.

May 14, 07 4:22 pm  · 
 · 

well if you can work it out so you ALWAYS cost them money....

[oh, yeah, i remember your tow truck ride back to indy!]

May 14, 07 4:23 pm  · 
 · 

I've always cost AAA money. They towed me for free five times in one month during a repairs fiasco with my first car.

And they just replaced my lost membership card for free.

May 14, 07 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Two hours in the car with the most salt-of-the-earth Kentucky gentleman I've ever met. It was truly fun!

May 14, 07 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

Alamo was 1364.93 for the minivan. budget was 2141.96. Even if I could get a minivan for $750- the gas and hotels would bust the budget.

haven't checked expedia, travelocity, etc. yet (last time I remember having a hard time with different pick up/ drop off locations.)
I will definitely check though.

I have 4 fixed price moving quotes for door to door movers between $900- $950 (I have an additional 2 quotes for over $1500). I can't find any negative/ scam reviews of them- but I'll obviously keep looking.

rationalist...I've found that if you are doing different drop of/ pick on the same coast, the price isn't that crazy- it's the coast to coast that really costs. That's going to be a great drive- I've done it- you're going to have fun!

cpnorris...the trailer was my first thought- but I am worried about selling my car when I get there- also the gas cost/mileage is horrific. I am still thinking about it though.

what an adventure this is going to be!

May 14, 07 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

That Budget quote is bonkers! I thought "Budget" was supposed to be just that....

Keep us posted though. My quote for the 12' truck through Penske is $1285, after AAA discount (keeping mine too, until I get rid of the car at least). I'll be going from Cincy to LA.

You want to talk about an adventure....add a cat to the equation. I have no idea how I'm going to get her out there! I'm trying to figure out if I should get her sedatives and try to take her with me in the truck, but that means I'll have to find pet-friendly hotels....or I could go with something like this, which undoubtedly means mucho $$$:

http://www.pettransporter.com/index.html

May 14, 07 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

I don't know how the sedation works for long distances/ multiple days, but if it's an option I'd do that. Just test the medication ahead of time at home (in a familiar place). I would worry about her emotional state if other people (not you) were there when she woke up. People probably think that's weird, but I like animals more than I like most people.

Yeah...the "budget" quote is crazy. I have to quadruple check the movers quote, but it seems even cheaper than yours. I mean the $1285 + gas + hotels....it's so much money.

I guess no matter how we do it, it's gonna be expensive!

May 14, 07 11:51 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

DubK, I traveled with my cat way back in the day and pretty much just registered at the front lobby then snuck her into the hotel room without telling them. It was easy. I let her roam in the car and set up a litter box behind the passenger seat!

May 15, 07 1:40 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I did pretty much the same thing when I moved my stuff (and my cat) from NYC to Oregon, and then later back to Chicago. Cat wasn't particularly happy about it, but he was fine once he got settled into the new place. It's not every stray kitten from West Philly that gets to see the Columbia River Gorge.

May 15, 07 8:13 am  · 
 · 
a51abductee

Just thought I'd give my 2 cents on U-pack. If you're trying to keep your costs as low as possible (and maybe have some friends with trucks), they also have an option for Terminal-to-Terminal service. This basically means that you load and unload the pod/cube on their site and you end up saving vs. Door-to-Door. You can also store your cube (packed and locked by you, with your own lock) at their terminal for around $100 a month. Their website can be a bit confusing so I wanted to mention this.

I was quoted around $2100 for a Door-to-Terminal move from Phoenix, AZ to Cambridge, MA. Seems pretty reasonable considering the large distance.

BTW for anyone using a cube/pod system with to-Door service in Boston there's a law there mandating that the driver has to stay with the pod while you unload. U-pack gives you an hour to unload and then they start incrementally charging you for every 15 minutes after that. Can get nasty really quick. (You can prolly check their website for the proper info).

May 15, 07 10:10 am  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

A quick question for all you mobile 'nectors, how did y'all save for the move and relocation survival? Credit cards? Moving fund? Factored into the grad school expense?

May 15, 07 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

About two-thirds of my moving budget will come from selling my car. (I'm moving to NYC, so a car is the last thing I'll need when I get there.)

The other third is coming from saving as much as I can from every paycheck I get between now and the move date, even if it means I have to put off paying some bills in the meantime. Hell, my credit is already shot.

May 15, 07 3:07 pm  · 
 · 

hmm, my move will cost me about $3500, including: van rental&gas, first/last/deposit on a place, a three-day trip to find said place, and any furnishings and incidentals that I incurr as a result of the move. I'm paying for the trip out of pocket with my 'entertainment/personal' money ($500, about halfway paid for already), have $1000 saved up which will go to the first/last/deposit on the place, and plan to save another $3000 between now and the move in September. That already leaves me with $1000 saved for grad school, and on top of that my last paycheck cashed only three days before the move figures to be around $3000 because I pretty much never take vacation or sick days and my office cashes those out when you leave. Oh, and I'm also selling my car, which I think I can get about $7000 for. So that leaves me moved to Seattle with $11,000 cash (well, savings) with which to fund this grad-school adventure. And this is after using my savings to pay off lots of bills and credit card debt right before filling out my FAFSA so that I'd appear as poor as possible. Might even have a little more if I a)get any of my current apartment deposit back (uncertain, have ruined kitchen floor lugging refrigerator in), and/or b)manage to sell any of the furniture or other posessions which I am not taking with me.

Theoretically, this leaves me in a position to not work at all my first year of grad school. But I am going to get a part-time job so that I can make that money cushion stretch out as farrrrr as I possibly can.

So, even for someone who generally lives paycheck to paycheck (yes, I totally have been), this thing is totally doable when planned far enough in advance and employing strict saving and debt reduction habits.

May 15, 07 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

I've managed to save about $10k since graduation (May '06) and anticipate moving to cost under $2k (including moving, flights, and buying new crap I need). I know it's optimistic- but I'm thrifty.
-I might get about $500 from stuff I'm selling (depends what I sell)
-I will get about $400 bucks back from prepaying a years car insurance
-a few hundred for unused vacation time.
-going to sell a laptop (about $500) and buy a new one (spending anywhere from $1500-$3000 - a debate for a different thread)
-I owe on my car what I'm selling it for- so that’s a wash.

anyway....after all is said and done, I'll probably start Grad school with about $5-$6K: a scary thought. It's been nice having a little mula in my pocket and I know that's going to completely change. I am glad I don't have to "come up" with the moving costs though I have been pretty good about saving money this year.

Anyway, the point of all that is that it is possible to save enough if you plan ahead and keep your eye on the prize!

Man, I should be an inspirational speaker.

May 15, 07 5:20 pm  · 
 · 

It's so funny how we've employed completely opposite savings strategies... I'm all about living as it comes with a big push in the last few months, while you've been saving and saving and saving so that you can spend it on the move. I guess that makes the combined lesson; it doesn't matter *how* you do it, there's probably a strategy that you can get to work out!

May 15, 07 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

My total moving budget is hovering at around $7000, but that includes tuition and living expenses for the Columbia summer program as well.

Last time I moved to NYC (from Philadelphia), I had about a $500 budget and no job lined up... That was slightly stressful.

May 15, 07 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

I have been saving for a while as well. First I had to pay off all my credit cards though. About $3K, but its gone now. I have about $5K saved in the bank right now. I actually won a copy of Revit at an AIA convention and sold it on Ebay for $2500, so that started the saving account. Opened a couple of CD's so I couldn't touch it. Its all in a separate bank account at a separate bank that I don't have checks or a check card for, so its safe until I move. haha. Been trying to put $200-300 a paycheck into that account and its been working so far....kind of. Hoping to have over $6K by the time I have to move.

May 15, 07 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

move to NCY w/ $500?!??! Was that in 1957, because that’s the only way that makes sense.

j/k

May 15, 07 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

Rationalist…yes, I can tell we are quite different- but it’s nice to see it will work out using multiple methods.

This is me being optimistic. It will work out.

May 15, 07 5:47 pm  · 
 · 

Of course it will. If you've been saving that much, how could it not work out?

The common threads in all the stretegies seem to be: selling of cars (woohoo, live green!) and cashing in of time off not taken. Until I realized I'd get paid for all that time, I was planning on a long vacation this summer, too. But the extra thousands are worth it.

May 15, 07 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I don't really have too much money saved. Then again I have no debt so I think it all works out, somehow.

May 15, 07 8:08 pm  · 
 · 

minivan booked! woohoo, it's actually going to happen...

Jun 11, 07 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Oh no! I am so upset!

I think my LA roomie has been "had" by one of the moving scam companies. She moved down to our apartment in downtown LA from Oakland. They picked up her stuff and were supposed to deliver it on Sunday. As of Tuesday, she still didn't have it.

I just got off the phone with her and she said that they finally showed up at 3 am yesterday morning. They also wouldn't unload it or give it to her unless she paid them $500 in cash. I guess she talked them down to $300 and then went to the ATM machine, and they finally gave it to her, and when they did, her mattress was wet - she said it smelled like hot dogs. I asked her why she didn't call the police and she said that she was just so glad to have her stuff finally that she just didn't.

I wonder what you can do in the aftermath of situations like this? I am going to send her an email with that movingscam.com link. I wish I had known she was going to do that!

PS. I still don't have too much money saved. I've been scratching my head lately trying to decide how to deal with this. Ah well.

Jul 5, 07 2:16 pm  · 
 · 

Have her report it to the Better Business Bureau! Also, depending on whether the $300 felt like an extra fee to the company, or a bribe to the truck driver (totally illegal, holding her stuff for ransom), it might be something to report to the police as well.

Of course, before all this she should call the moving company itself and report the driver and demand that the $300 be refunded to her, and try to negotiate for more for the lateness of arrival.

Jul 5, 07 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

oh WK, you've made me so nervous. I am so sorry for your roomie and am starting to panic about all I have to do in the next 6 weeks!!!

Can you tell us the company name so we don't get "had"? I hope she reports them!

As far as money goes...I feel you! I've had car troubles lately and it has been draining my bank account bill by bill.

Jul 5, 07 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I don't know the company name. I'll find out from her later.

I think she has already talked to them and told them that she wants her money back...she said they were going to refund her...yeah right. I told her to have a lawyer friend type up a letter on letterhead and send it to them demanding her money back.

Seriously though, I wish I had been there....I could have used my lawyer on speed dial! So frustrating. And $300 is something that all of us could use right now!

Jul 5, 07 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

After a month of getting quotes from all sources, I went in this morning to reserve a UHaul. We're doing a 1300 mile trip, one way, out of province.

$2550, plus gas. Jumpin' Jesus. Of course, that wasn't a surprise, but it still hurts. A lot.

Movers quoted us $2800 to $3000. But that way, the schedules don't work out very conveniently. We don't have a lot of stuff, either, so packing stuff in a truck won't take more than a couple of hours.

So yeah. I've just heard too many horror stories about movers breaking stuff, getting the runaround, not showing up on time (or at all), so we're doing it ourselves, at our own pace, and we can even stop to visit family for a day or two along the way.

Oh, and it means we can tow our car behind the Uhaul truck as well.

Good luck to everybody. Yesterday was my last day of being excited about the move. Today I'm just stressed.

Jul 5, 07 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

UPS SUCKS...I wont use them

Jul 5, 07 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

yaza all Bed Bugs to da Moverzs! Crap gets broken....and how the hell does it happen....who knows.....you have day workers loading and unloading....and usually guys or gals who have been driving no stop for the last two days with little or no sleep....and they stop at the truck stops and hit on older women waitresses or fat ole chefs.....so what do you expect....this is AMERICA!

Jul 5, 07 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
winifred

Hi- I JUST got scammed by All Safe Movers (i'm WK roommate). I've already reported it to the BBB... small claims court next.

Be careful! I wish I had looked at movingscam.com or this thread before hand. errr. I'm so annoyed with myself.

Jul 6, 07 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

I had something similar happen to me. When the truck arrived they demanded $500 more than what was agreed upon. I wrote them a check, called the bank, and stopped payment immediately. The moving company never came after me – and even if they did, my defense was duress and a broken contract. The simple fact that they never came after me proves that they were trying to defraud me. Sorry to hear about your situation stratus. It might make it more difficult if you paid them in cash, but I will still follow through with getting your money back.

Jul 6, 07 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
winifred

He wouldn't take a check for obvious reasons. Plus he came at 3 in the morning- so creepy!

Jul 6, 07 7:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: