Archinect
anchor

down time + some Qs

Archilearner

i am in a pre-professional degree program...and i am applying for a graudate school next year.....
I need to make an outstanding portfiolio........
But its pretty daunting to see other people's portfolios here.......
i know only AutoCAD....my portfolio now looks like crap ..including...only models, drawings and some autoCAD renderings....

Another thing is that most of the stuff i do at school are just excercises ...and...they are not good enough to be put in the portfolio....
its really tough for me to make a portfolio that reaches a caliber as high as the ones posted here.....

I think I need some nice renderings in my portfolio....and.its time for me to focus on 3ds max.....how much time do i have to spend on learing 3ds max to be able to do amazing renderings?
any people from a pre-professional degree program....who can give me any advice?

thanks

Mar 25, 07 12:55 am
Medusa

The portfolio is not just about pretty renderings.
Max takes quite some time to master. You should learn it, just because most employers want someone who knows their way around a 3D modeling program. But have you tried making models in Autocad? I personally find it a lot easier to build models (as long as it is orthagonal) on Autocad and then importing them to Max for mapping, lighting and rendering. You can google tutorials for lighting, materials and rendering pretty easily.

Also, learn Photoshop or Illustrator. You will need it to make layouts and to touch up renderings. They are pretty intuitive programs, so it shouldn't take you too long to learn the basics to get simple things done.

But, if you're pressed for time to make your portfolio, why not include hand drawings and sketches. Show the process of how your projects came to be through analytical drawings. You can also include artwork and photography.

Mar 25, 07 10:18 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Medusa makes a good point. I know of at least one archinecter who was just accepted to a good grad school with a portfolio of absolutely no "architecture" projects.

Hand drawing, sketching from life, diagrams that are really cool, maps...all those things are portfolio material. And really funky models. Just make stuff in your free time that explores further an idea that the "exercises" you were assigned didn't get into.

Also: it sounds to me, Archilearner, like you could benefit from narrowing your field for applications. Don't make a general portfolio that you send to 20 schools. Think about what areas interest you: sustainable design? structural expression? NURBS? historic renovation? urban design? Then find out what schools seem like a good fit and focus your portfolio towards those ideas.

Having some really bitchin' renderings might look cool, but grad schools want to see someone who can think, not just produce. Rather than focus on making pretty pictures, focus on revealing a thought process.

It's good you are being self-critical - now you have time to work on it! Good luck.

Mar 25, 07 10:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: