Archinect
anchor

Facility Management

crazy kid

Does anyone have any idea what kind of a job Facility Management is. Or how much architecture is involved with the job. I thinking about getting a degree in architecture and I'm just looking around at different carriers. Thanks

Mar 24, 07 1:08 pm
treekiller

do you love designing offices/cubicle layouts and employee break rooms? then FM can be a lucrative career. interior architecture/design would be your best education route...

Mar 24, 07 8:37 pm  · 
 · 

treekiller it isn't that bad

crazy - I actually taught a semester of facilities management to undergrads. Its building management meets estate management - that's as best as I can put it.

In many places you'll find FMs who have degrees in architecture - but don't practice with them. It gives them a firm understanding on maintenance, repair, how to approach architects & engineers when it comes to expansion, renovation etc, in some projects the PM will be an FM (in house PM), estate management companies are usually like people with architecture degree - because of the belief that they have the "inside" edge, also they might know people in the business

Mar 24, 07 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
some person

People often confuse Facility Planning with Facility Management. As a former facility planner, they are two very different fields, in my mind.

If you need creativity in your job, neither facility planning nor facility management is the right path.

Mar 24, 07 11:13 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

my office does FM too, it provides a nice stream of $$$ for profit. we have half a dozen staffers on site with various fortune 500 corps in the twin cities. those that have these positions seem to really enjoy it. ok, cubicle layout is probably the worst part of the job. the best part is getting lots of little projects built with a short turn around...

Mar 25, 07 11:17 am  · 
 · 
matteo

I just started a new job in a corporate office and we have a facility management division that gives us almost 50% of the annual profit.

A facility manager, either an architect or an engineer, have to make sure that everything in a building works properly and so occupants/tenants can do their work or follow their lives safely.

It's a multidisciplinary job because a FM is in charge of all these activities:
managing ordinary and extraordinary maintenance activities;
promoting the use of new material for money saving in the future;
managing all the activities related to fireproofing;
intermediating between office related problems and services in charge to take care of those problems;
monitoring the performance of contractors.

Mar 25, 07 11:34 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: