Archinect
anchor

NCARB while working with a General Contractor

Bennythejetr

Quick history.

I received my B. of Arch in 2006 from USC. I worked fairly well until the end of 2008 before being laid off. From 2009 to the end of 2010, I was unemployed working side jobs and temp jobs, although not always in architecture. Last year I spent it working as a security guard at a mall doing the graveyard shift. Finally, 3 months ago I got a job working for a relatively big general contractor in the Los Angeles Area as a project assistant doing estimating, shop drawings, scheduling..etc.

My question is, how do I fulfill IDP requirements while working here?  I ultimately would like to be a builder/architect so I am dedicating myself to learn as much as I can here. But I also want to get the IDP started and done as quickly as I can.

Any suggestions?

Thank You.

Aug 3, 12 1:15 pm
marmkid

is anyone there a licenced architect?

Aug 3, 12 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
Bennythejetr

No one is.

Would I be able to fulfill, for instance, Category 3 Project Management while working here? Or is it mandatory to be under a licensed architect?

Aug 3, 12 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

its been a few years since i finished my IDP, but i dont think you can do any of it without being under a licensed architect

Aug 6, 12 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
RH-Arch

You do not have to be under a licensed architect to get IDP credit. However, you are extremely limitted by what categories and overall hours you may receive. Working under a GC can get you some hours maybe further down the category list. NCARB has a PDF handbook (that you are supposed to read upon started IDP) that explains this all simply and in good enough detail for you to go look it up.

Aug 6, 12 2:39 pm  · 
 · 

You should refer to the NCARB IDP Guidelines and I am sure there is a section that refers to "Work Settings" I personally used experience gained while working for a professional building contractor. There were some significant changes regarding the changes from IDP units to hours and there could have been others I am not sure. But I completed mine in 2010 and it was quite an experience, good luck to you. Check this out:

http://www.ncarb.org/en/Experience-Through-Internships/IDP2-Experience-Categories-Areas.aspx

Aug 7, 12 11:04 am  · 
 · 
Bennythejetr

I should definitely research this and then ask questions. Haven't been keeping up to date with IDP recently. Thanks for the advice.

Aug 7, 12 11:56 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: