Archinect
anchor

Moving forward, but farther from a license.

ncecchi

I am an M.Arch1 graduate, and after school I bounced around a bit, getting some hours here and there, and then I landed a job. A dream job. I am working with small - scale architecture and large-scale art, as some combination of an Industrial Designer, Artist, Engineer, and Architect. I really enjoy the work and the scale, but it does not offer an opportunity for licensure, or even accumulation of IDP hours. 

I am going to see where my current work takes me, but I would just like to get a feel for options at this point - 3 years of IDP plus tests seems like alot when I could get a 2nd Masters in Civil, and my PE license in less time.

I don't want to find myself caught-out with no license, if it is going to significantly effect my job prospects. So, those of you who never got licensed (perhaps because you were too specialized or in an allied field), do you find that you have trouble proving your value in interviews with architecture firms? Do you feel your unique experience makes up for your lack of licensure? What would you do differently?

Anyone with a license who feels they wasted their time getting it?

Those of you in allied fields, what are your plans regarding your license?

Thanks.

Aug 3, 12 2:25 pm
zonker

Well I am making progress in architecture but on my current pay, can't afford IDP + ARE tests - I get no encouragement - none - people say I should go back to video games - too late for that.

Aug 3, 12 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Sounds like the road you are going down is better than the one that pursuing licensure would take you down. What are your future goals? To go work in a traditional firm someday?

I finished IDP and took a few tests before it became evident that I was happier and more successful going a different route than licensure as I had an opportunity to apprentice into an unrelated field. I was scared that I was making a mistake at first by leaving the path to RA, but after a few years I don't regret it one bit - BUT - I have no plans to go work in a traditional architecture firm though. Ever. If I did, I would have regreted not finishing the license while I was young. Hope that helps/makes sense.

Aug 3, 12 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
ncecchi

At my current job, I quickly moved past red lines and drafting and now design the majority of projects which come through our office. (I feel very fortunate)

I do want my license because I know I will want to pursue larger-scale work in the future, but I don't want to regress to red-lining drawings and such. 

Are there jobs available in non-traditional (design-build, experimental architecture, etc) firms for un-licensed architects, or will the small size of these firms force them to hire only those with licenses?

Does anyone here practice architecture without a license as an older/ more established architect?

Aug 6, 12 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
iblue37

I would not, repeat would not, rely solely on the architecture path (especially in the traditional sense) alone. IDP, testing - with all of the family time sacrificed for study for 7 exams (each at 220 bucks a pop), and the need to 'stay current' with all of the latest trends - which requires continuing education, costing even more dough, etc., etc., hardly seems worth the effort when you consider the job market in this profession now.

I honestly think that what you're doing right now has the best potential, not to mention that it sounds like a hell of a lot of fun.

I think that pursuing the Civil Engineering degree could be a good move too. If anything, it will broaden your horizons in terms of skills and enhance your marketability.

Best of luck in your pursuits, whatever you choose.

Aug 12, 12 3:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: