Archinect
anchor

Portfolio Advise

rebelliousz_poet

It has been a while... SO now I am back and would like some advise... See link below and view PDF then please please crit me.

Thank you

http://datumdezign.com/datum_dezignworks3.html

I made this portfolio last year in March 2006...and obviously am in the look out for work...

Mar 22, 07 10:12 pm
cmu268

great images of the bronx project! very well composed.

my only criticism is that it may be too long, im not sure if i'd want to sit down and skim through 76 pages of portfolio

but very interesting design problems and beautiful images....i also liked the photography

Mar 22, 07 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
sparch

wow! great images and diagrams. as a current student, i am just learning from looking at your portfolio.
great layout and great photographs

ha.. that doesn't help you that much
there are more experienced, qualified archinectors than me... so i pass

Mar 23, 07 12:13 am  · 
 · 
bucku

i am going to be honest and say that i enjoyed it more than probably any other portfolio i have seen lately. i love the consistant use of the double exposure and the montages. i am a huge fan of any montage, i do them in my spare time for s&gs, so i enjoyed it. the middle was a little slow with the drawings and sections and cad stuff and perhaps the fact that it was loading slow by that time didnt help, but again, my sincere congrats on a well done port.
b

Mar 23, 07 12:15 am  · 
 · 
jts329

Some of it was very nice, in particular the collages for the mott haven project, really strong graphically and derived from an evident process. Here's what I didn't like:
- whats with random words and letters being different colors? its just distracting, like they have a different meaning or reading, (I'm guessing they don't) but if they do its very cryptic.
- the "graphik" section - I wouldn't include it, and if you do, spell it right.
- photography is nice, but maybe 3 pictures max, choose the 3 you like most, and not any of the ones after "transition," I live there and I love Union Square, but somehow youve managed to make it look more disorientingly inebriated than I've ever seeen it stumbling home.
- those two pages with the rows of photocollages and paragraphs in between? no one is going to read those, and even if they do the pictures above and below don't add to the clarity.

Hope my honesty makes gives you something to consider.

Mar 23, 07 1:24 am  · 
 · 
signoreburberry

You have some nice graphics but there are few areas to improve:

1) Do not be afraid of empty space in your layouts, even if it means having a physically longer portfolio. Really take the time to edit out the images you are going to use. Limit yourself to a max. of 3 images per page. Although one or two per page w/ a lot of white space should suffice...the perfect example of this is page 11--I think that's one of the most successful pages.

2) vertical text boxes are tough to read give yourself more room for text and don't justify it to right...it's just confusing...instead, perhaps consider the text box as a datum of sorts that begins to regulate the images on either side (which you have traces of from page to page)

3) there is a lack of coherence in the layout design. is there an axis/datum that runs horizontally or vertically? or both ways?

4) the cover image is a nice start but i honestly think it should include a certain element of your project...unless if i'm missing something here

5) try to incorporate some of your nice renderings with your orthographic drawings...this always gives some sense of dynamicism

These are just my thoughts and of course I don't mean to be overly critical (if I do sound that way). Good luck with your portfolio.

Mar 23, 07 5:12 am  · 
 · 
eenie

I think your Philadelphia project is the strongest. It's very well organized, everything there is deliberatly put on the page and it's not too verbose or "deep." I like how the lots are a crop photos articulated across the page forming a catalog.

Add a perspective, or axo diagram drawing to the Phila project to help us see the strategies of fragmentation, stiching, etc, in space.

I'd focus on that one because it not too stretched out, or constrained and too vertical.

Is there a way to integrate the deemographic chart (bronx) visually into the diagram?... To confine the project into a series of efficient visual information?

With the bodies in Landsapes, I'm interested to know how the monages and the exploded-axo fit together.

Do the projects have intros?

Mar 23, 07 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
n_

i think it's great but i would really, really like to see some project intros. while we are visual creatures, intro text is critical to a portfolio.

Mar 23, 07 3:46 pm  · 
 · 

what work are you looking for? as graphic designer or as architect?

the photomontages and photshop work is very nice. love it.

i suspect the architecture is just as good, but can not see it as it all comes in vignettes and it is very hard to piece together what the actual buildings or masterplans are looking like. ususally htat would annoy the heck out of me, but in this case as the graphics are so lovely i m happy to just soak in the images. But i mostly stopped viewing the work as architecture projects after the first section.

I have absolutely no problem with color changes, swooping delerium, vertical text or anything of that nature. that is just style. content on the other hand is (well for me at least) a bit harder to fit together into something i can grasp as architecture. This may be as easy as adding explanatory text as suggested above, or my preference would be a few more plans and sections, axos, perpectives, whatever, of the whole thing. wouldn't take much...then i hopefully could be impressed with the ability to program and organise space as well as you are able to imagine its inhabitation...

luck

Mar 23, 07 8:47 pm  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

i think i have seen some of your work at school. the only thing i would mention is to show off as many skills as you have and keep the pages clean. people reviewing portfolios want to be guided not work through your portfolio. its nice though, just needs more narrative i think

Mar 23, 07 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
rebelliousz_poet

hey all thank you for your advise... hope to post an updated version soon. keep commenting as much as you want... thank you again.

Mar 24, 07 7:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: