Archinect
anchor

Cover Letter HELP!!!!!!!!!!

e_bordenave

Heres the Job description

Provide assistance to staff, and CAD when needed. We are willing to train someone who is eager to learn and has good organizational skills. Flexible hours.

Heres My Cover Letter

I am writing this letter in regards to obtaining the General Office/CAD position. I learned of the opportunity through the Boston Architectural College, and feel that my qualifications are a good match for the responsibilities of the position. I know by working with your firm I will gain valuable exposure. I am very eager to learn and I know that through hard work and dedication, I am confident, that I will become a valuable asset to your team. Currently, I am enrolled at Boston Architectural College and I am pursuing my Bachelors in Architecture. I also have an Associates Degree in Architectural Technology.

I am familiar with the office setting and have taken courses in both High School and College on Computer Applications such as Excel and Microsoft Word to name a few. I am also very familiar and confident in my skills with AutoCAD v.2002 - AutoCAD v.2007.I have also used other CAD related applications such as Sketch Up and Autodesk Revit. I have a strong attention to detail and work well in a team environment.

Enclosed is a copy of my resume, I hope this will be of some assistance in determining whether or not I would qualify for a position. If you would like to see or need any additional information, please do not hesitate to contact me directly via e-mail or telephone.
Thank you for your time, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,
Edward Bordenave
phone: 617.764.2581

ANY HELP LADIES AND GENTLEMEN??? CRITIQUES, COMMENTS????

Mar 22, 07 1:33 pm
Sarah Hamilton

I don't know about the "I hope this will be of some assistance in determining whether or not I would qualify for a position." part. It seems that you would just want to assume you qualify instead of second guessing yourself.

Just an opinioin, but I haven't written too many cover letters or resumes.

Mar 22, 07 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Overall it sounds good.

My only question is: how much of your computer experience, in all the different programs, is in an office environment vs. in a class? It may be that you clarify this in your resume, or you might clarify with something like "I also have an Associates Degree in Architectural Technology, where I studied Revit."

Change this sentence: I am very eager to learn and I know that through hard work and dedication, I am confident, that I will become a valuable asset to your team.

to: I am very eager to learn and I am confident that I will become a valuable asset to your team.

Mar 22, 07 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
e_bordenave

Thank you, I have made some changes according to your suggestions. This would be My first position in an architecture firm, so I want to make a good impression and catch their attention also but also demonstrate to them what they are looking for (good orginazational skills and being eager to learn). So if you have any ideas or ANYTHING please help me out!!!!!

Mar 22, 07 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

My name is Edward B and I am enclosing a resume for your consideration in regard to the General Office/CAD position opening at (name of firm here). I learned of the opportunity through(name of contact) at the Boston Architectural College, and feel that my qualifications are an excellent match for your firm's needs.

I am enrolled at Boston Architectural College pursuing my Bachelors in Architecture. I also have an Associates Degree in Architectural Technology from (name of school here)

I have highly developed Autocad skills particulary with AutoCAD v.2002 - AutoCAD v.2007. I am also adept in other Architectural related applications such as Sketch Up and Autodesk Revit. In addition to these skills, I also am well versed in Microsoft Office applications. I have a strong attention to detail and work well in a team environment.

I am anxious to begin this exciting journey on the road that is architecture. I will contact you in one week to discuss how I can add my skills and desire to (name of firm here.)

Sincerely,

You...

Also Bold Text Skills.

Mar 22, 07 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Wow Vado, you should be one of those Resume writers. I hear they get paid BIG. Will you write my next one, I can't pay you though.

Mar 22, 07 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

i like vado's better too. keep working edward

Mar 22, 07 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

yup, must agree, vado's got it nailed down!

Good luck Ed....
let us know if you got the job! (I wouldn't see why not)

Mar 22, 07 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
e_bordenave

vado I'm liking your version of it and thanks squirrelly i will let you know asap. If anyone else has any ideas or suggestions, they're all welcome!!!!

Mar 22, 07 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

You could work for puddles!

Mar 22, 07 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
Marlin

I thought i'd share this anecdote:

After tiring of writing canned and firm-specific cover letters with little or no replies, my girlfriend decided to try a different tactic. Working off the assumption that everyone else applying had similar cover letters to hers, she drafted a few that read only the following:

"Why did the cookie visit the doctor's office?

For the answer, let's set up an interview."

She received more callbacks and interviews from this approach. I've never tried it, but always wanted to...good luck, bordenave.

by the way, "he felt crummy."

Mar 22, 07 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
e_bordenave

who's puddles???

Mar 22, 07 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
e_bordenave

oh and should attach my resume in pdf format or word doc format???

Mar 22, 07 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
StudioWookie

PDF

Mar 22, 07 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
babs

PDF - definitely

Mar 22, 07 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Theres a thread titles work for puddles...hes an Archinect member.

Mar 22, 07 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

marlin, that takes guts.

Mar 23, 07 9:51 am  · 
 · 
AP

Marlin, was she applying for a job in architecture or other design field? that's just hilarious...the idea, not so much the joke.

...there's also the concern that the reader already knows the punchline, in which case you would be screwed.

thanks for the laugh.

Mar 26, 07 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
e_bordenave

so About a week later, after sending my cover letter and resume I received an e-mail This is what it said

hello
thanks for sending in your resume, we are waiting to see what our jobs will be over the next few months and will be in touch with applicants in April or
May.

So I guess I wait now...any ideas???

Apr 3, 07 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
e_bordenave

oh and also, all i have is cad work I've done in school...how would i go about making a portfolio with just cad related work?? any resources would be helpful such as websites etc;

Apr 5, 07 10:16 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: