Archinect
anchor

Help with Modeling Material

ichweiB

I am building a model and need some help locating a material. I want to represent the skin as a mesh-similar to Steven Holl's Sarphatistraat Offices. I was wondering if anyone knew of a perforated material preferably a metal that is rigid and that I could possibly paint. Essentially, I am wanting something like tin that has thousands of small holes in it.

Thanks

Mar 19, 07 12:46 am
FOG Lite

Depending on the scale of said model, I would use sculptor mesh. Often it's called "wireform" or some such.

Mar 19, 07 1:07 am  · 
 · 

Or you could actually get real perforated metal at the smallest scale you can. I've done this before for 1/2" detail models and it worked beautifully. Not sure where you're at, but I got that stuff at a shop in Pomona that sold it for about $10/sq. ft. For the whole-building model, I just found the densest mesh I could and it turned out well. If you're in the LA area, I recommend SCI_Arc's supply shop for your metal needs.

Oh, and yes, I spray painted both of those materials, and they took it fine.

Mar 19, 07 1:11 am  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

If you're in LA SCI-Arc supply shop will have the best selection of meshes hands down.

Mar 19, 07 9:31 am  · 
 · 

for a cheap alternative, depending on the scale... both readily available at any hardware store...

window screen material...

or...

spray paint some drywall sanding screens with a metallic paint...

Mar 19, 07 9:44 am  · 
 · 

what about brc

Mar 19, 07 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

look for photo-etched steel for model railroads

Mar 19, 07 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

i agree with rationalist and recommend not using a mesh and actually using a smaller scale perforated metal sheet.

the store in walnut is called carpe diem.

and the sci-arc supply store should have it too.

Mar 19, 07 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
cmu268

wire screen, like in windows

Mar 19, 07 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
binary

aluminum bug screen
perforated brass..... evergreen models/micro form models/plastruct
or just go to the dollar store and buy some cheap speghetti strainers and cut out what you need........

brass

Mar 20, 07 12:51 am  · 
 · 
bucku

does anyone know a substitute for resin that is easier to work with perhaps?

Mar 20, 07 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
pmossimo

glycerin

Mar 20, 07 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
binary

mix resin with the hardener and then mix in bondo with the hardener.... you can figure the consistancy by adding either/or.... works great..... easier to sand and you can get a good flow......

but fiberglass resin is getting expensive... it's a petroleum product.... oil...go figure...

b

Mar 20, 07 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
Somnambulist

check ACE hardware for a drywall hole patch. they are metal, fairly rigid and about 8"x8" (not the biggest unfortunately), and have....hundreds of tiny holes in them. i used to use them all they time for my models and they work great........but only if you're NOT in the LA area.

Mar 21, 07 2:35 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: