Archinect
anchor

Ranting

somearchitect

This post is intended to be a vent for your frutsrations with the profession. I'll just go ahead and start.
I EFFING HATE ARCHITECTURE. I am so sick of the obsessive questioning of unbuilt projects, the dumbing down of genuine ideas for a client, the endless amount of work, and most of all the fact that we are socially isolated from the rest of the living world.
I would like a semi-interesting job that begins to pay the enormous amount of loans I racked up in ivy league grad school so I can at least go to the beach with my friends. Not to mention, I'd like to have the time to date people other than architects and have time and energy to hang out with my friends and family.
Sorry, I had to say it. Its an impossible lifestyle, and I'M SICK OF IT.

Mar 18, 07 10:03 pm
some person

So what's stopping you from leaving?

Mar 18, 07 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

I hate people who say "effing" instead of fucking. Grow some balls and do it proper.

Mar 18, 07 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I effing hate that too.

Mar 18, 07 11:10 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

SomeArch, are you in your twenties? Recently out of school? It sucks. I mean, really truly hopelessly sucks. But it gets better.

Honestly, another firm might be a better situation for you. Have you worked in many different types of places? Small vs. large, residential, exhibit design?

Mar 18, 07 11:30 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

other architects make me fucking hate architecture, as a solo pursuit i love it but my studio prof. and the school im at in general this semester is pissing me the fuck off. I may not ask for any of her imput until the end of the semester at final crit. Seriously this profession sounds like it can just kill a man, but im assuming it will be worth it if someday, a long time from now i can drive down the street look at a building, and say "I designed that, with alot of people helping out, but i designed that goddamn building, and that makes it mine." It seems like your at the point where you can say that LB, and my hats off to you.

Mar 18, 07 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
moratto

I'll have to pull out a cliche: "anything worthwhile does not come with ease"

My frustration is that I live in a country where architecture is not valued. Granted it is a young country with little amounts of historical national architecture, but only a small percentage appreciate it. This automatically forces me to edit my thought and speech (they don't know and don't care). Why do I have to talk about a shit show on TV that only has a temporary form of relevence to culture. Architecture is one of the closest acts of immortality. It is a physical form of history. It should be a major value that is easily discussed as politics and sex.

Ever sense I got into this process of becoming an architect, I have felt that I am slowly losing touch with main stream society. Why has this become an alienating experience?

Mar 19, 07 2:09 am  · 
 · 
stromboli

grow a pair and tell somebody no. you don't have to work stupid long hours (i say this to you as I post from work at 12:23 am) they'll take advantage of you if you allow it. they'll take advantage in architecture, in any office and in any other field as well. you don't have to leave the profession, but you do have to set some rules about what forces you will and will not allow yourself to be subject to.

Mar 19, 07 2:29 am  · 
 · 
Jonas77

saying no makes you healthy and live longer i read in science news.

Mar 19, 07 2:32 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

just for the record. i am not tiger 77

Mar 19, 07 8:26 am  · 
 · 
comb
Debt is Dumb

don't blame the profession because you were stupid enough to take on "the enormous amount of loans...racked up in ivy league grad school" without bothering to understand first what would be required to pay them back - sounds like self-inflicted misery to me.

i went to a state school, got a good and affordable education and started my work career without debt. totally different world for me, man!

Mar 19, 07 1:44 pm  · 
 · 

i really hate the fact that so many of the modern buildings get painted over by people who have no sense that they are hurting my eyes.

Also that they don't preserve modern architecture from the 50s & 60s in favour of older seemingly historic buildings

Mar 19, 07 3:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: