Archinect
anchor

A new lease on life...

lovebird

Has anyone in Los Angeles ever broken a lease and come out alive? We have 5 months left on our lease, but we close escrow on our first condo in a month. Has anyone had any success with subletting?

Mar 17, 07 10:48 pm
Living in Gin

I broke my lease in NYC two months after moving into a place. But then, the building was loaded with code violations and obnoxious ghetto-class tenants who played loud music at all hours of day and night. I had all of that fully documented and was prepared to present same to any housing court judge the landlord tried to haul me in front of. Luckily, I moved my crap out and the landlord never bothered to pursue it. I did, however, lose my security deposit and broker's fee.

I'm not sure what the laws are in LA, but if you're able to find a new tenant to sublet or take over the lease, you shouldn't have any trouble. Some leases even have a clause that let you end the lease if you buy a house or condo. Best to check the fine print, and consult an attorney if needed.

Mar 17, 07 11:13 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

I recently sublet a place that still had 7 months left on the year's lease. It wasn't hard to find somebody through craigslist. But let your landlord know that you're going to do this, because if he wants to your landlord has the right to run whatever checks he wants on your potential subletter (credit check, references).

Mar 17, 07 11:24 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

it's done all the time, but proceed carefully. your best hope is either find a replacement first, then approach your landlord. or just be honest and accommodating with an offer to cover the rent until the place gets leased again. just don't sub-let without the landlords approval.

worse case is you owe 5 months rent...

Mar 18, 07 10:46 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

Worst case scenario I guess you can always rent out the condo until the amount of money you would owe the landlord becomes bearable...

Mar 18, 07 11:49 am  · 
 · 
garpike

I broke a lease in Hollywood. We left after 5 months. But we posted the apartment on Craigslist and showed it ourselves (after checking with the landlord). We had no problems other than finding the time to respond to every phone call. And the manager was happy that we went "above and beyond" what a typical flake would do. Weird. And I thought they'd be mad.

The manager liked the couple replacing us that they decided to create a new lease - making ours history. You may not get hat lucky, but if you read you're lease and do that they instruct you to do, you should be fine. Unless of course you promised to live in the most unrentable place. Then the landlord may develop a chip on her shoulder - if she doesn't already have one.

Mar 18, 07 1:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: