Archinect
anchor

Open Office Space

Transparence

Cubicles no more reflect the modern office structure! What is your take on this?

Jul 27, 12 5:20 am
curtkram

i think cubicles are still quite common in the modern office structure

Jul 27, 12 7:24 am  · 
 · 
BrianYamagata

Cubicles are still plentiful, but are they necessary? With the progression of remote technology (email, cloud, etc etc), the "office space" which used to be required has dwindled. The reason cubicles are still being used is because many companies/individuals have yet to fully embrace digital technology. Shop drawings, spec books, etc should be produced/delivered/reviewed digitally, which in turn would speed up turn around times. The fact that we're still tossing paper around is silly. CDs...sure they may need to stay in paper format (sites aren't exactly tech friendly...what with the dust and debris), but anything standard 8.5X11 needs to be pixelized! 

Of course this is my take on the matter as a member of the younger generation of architects. I'm used to digital. 

Yet, I still absolutely, positively cherish physical models!! The fact that many firms have done away with producing them (time constraints) is very saddening!

Anyways, cubicles will disappear eventually, it's only a matter of time. I think it's inevitable for any field which has the capacity to be digital, to become digitized. 

Jul 28, 12 5:11 am  · 
 · 
RH-Arch

If you get rid of conventional cubicles you get rid of many worker inefficiencies and increase productivity and social/mental health.

Jul 28, 12 10:51 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: