Archinect
anchor

b/w now and grad school

sanofiSYN

Hi all -

I've applied to grad school for fall 2007 (yet to hear back from the schools), but am desperately wanting to change jobs. I see this as a problem since that leaves me with only 5 months at a new place. Has anyone experienced the same situation - and if so - how have you dealt with it. Are some firms okay with the fact that you'd only be there for such a short time, and when do you break the news - b/f the interview (in the cover letter) or during the interview?

Mar 16, 07 11:03 pm
Living in Gin

I'm in the same boat, but I'm sticking it out at my current crappy job until I hear back from all the schools I applied to. If I get rejected and have to put off grad school for a year, then I'll start making plans for a job change.

Mar 16, 07 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

hang in there for the next 5 months.

-or-

once you have a thick envelope, jump at moving to that new city. find a job where they are okay with you shifting to part time during the school year and accept being called an 'intern' without any of the presidential perks.

5 months is too short a time to commit to a job without burning a bridge and risk getting a bad reputation- LOL

Mar 17, 07 11:45 am  · 
 · 
wangsta

if you can afford it, quit your job in a month or two and travel. the time in between jobs and school is a great time for this...

i think switching jobs for that short of a time span would be stressful....

if you're going to go to a new place, i'd be upfront and honest about the fact that you are planning on leaving in 5 months. it may be a bit harder to land a gig, but at least this way you're not "burning bridges" or pissing people off. and there are plenty of firms in search of part-timers or intern type positions for the summer....

Mar 17, 07 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
sanofiSYN

Yeah, I was considering the jumping ship early route to travel and go home and visit family. It'd probably be good just to relax and chill b/f school anyway.

Mar 19, 07 1:58 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: