Archinect
anchor

mac/bootcamp/parallels users: how often do you work in windows/parallels vs. windows/bootcamp vs. OSX?

superstarchitect

Hi archinecters, 

sorry if this seems like a topic repeated ad nauseam, but i haven't been able to find anything specific to my question, nor anything up to date. 

just got a new macbook pro, about to set up bootcamp mainly for rhino and autocad (can't stand the new mac version!!). My previous personal computer was a Powerbook, so never had to deal with this... 

How much space do you allocate to windows? I'm asking because I don't know if I'll end up using all my architecture programs in Windows, vs. some in Windows (Autocad/Rhino) and everything else in Mac...

I definitely prefer OSX as a general platform, but I understand from other threads that some tasks -- rendering in Rhino for example -- might run slower in Parallels than it would in Bootcamp. 

Also important, I'm constantly switching in between programs when I work, from Autocad to Rhino to Ilustrator (etc), so having to restart my computer every time i need to switch between programs would be a huge pain for me... 

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Jul 25, 12 10:23 pm
a-f

After more than 20 years as a PC user, I switched to Mac OSX a few years ago. I have Parallels installed, but it's mainly a last resort, since I find it's slow to start up and run (granted, I run version 5 on a bit older iMac) . Having always worked with AutoCAD and 3DSMax, I simply switched to DraftSight and Blender instead, which both run natively on OSX. It's not without problems, but I can't really complain since the software is 100% free. With its new rendering engine, Blender is slowly becoming a serious alternative to commercial modeling and rendering software (although NURBS modeling is still very basic). Of course you also have AutoCAD and Rhino for OSX as well (Rhino still in beta, with version 5 just recently released).

I work on smaller projects though. Your situation might be different.

Jul 26, 12 6:14 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Well, maybe you shouldn't have bought a Mac!

Since that was clearly very helpful, I'll keep going...I really like the construction of Mac's, but 3DSMax is a deal breaker. 

Going to follow this...would really like the build of the Mac, but hard to justify the dollars if Max won't work on it (well)

Jul 26, 12 8:11 am  · 
 · 
bob/bob

I was told that trying to run rhino/gh on parallels is a  really bad idea- I have bootcamp, divided the hard drive in half. Seems like a reasonable division for now.

I have adobe on the mac side and rhino on the other, and it sucks.  I would avoid any kind of setup that requires moving between the two when working on a project.

I like my mac for goofing around on, but at this point, I wish I'd bought a different machine.

Jul 26, 12 8:41 am  · 
 · 

We have several mac pros in the office that are bootcamped--I installed a separate hard drive for the Windows partition, leaving the OSX partition unscathed. The one macbook pro we have has the hard drive partition biased towards windows with the minimum allocated to OSX.

We are a "PC" office so all of our software is Windows-based; hence the separate drive or larger partition. We rarely need to go into OSX; though, I have on occasion in order to create a quick movie or repair the Windows partition from a virus infection (OSX was used to access the infected drive before wiping it out).

The best way to use the hardware is to natively boot into either OS: trying to use emulation (for architectural production) is cumbersome and potentially unstable.

Jul 26, 12 10:06 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: