Archinect
anchor

AFH does LA?

moratto

So I talked to my friend that volunteers at AFH in New York and surprisingly she told me that there is not a chapter in LA. She suggested starting one but, I am very new to LA and know absolutely little about this city. If any LA archinectors are wanting to start one I would be down (of course with Cameron's blessing).

Personally I would like to focus on homeless issues. I come from a region with zero homelessness (perceived). Since moving out here, I am fascinated and concerned with homelessness.

I know there is a lot of talent out here, why not put it to good use.

Mar 14, 07 11:51 pm
Cameron

There is a group in Venice but no overall LA group. Email me directly and I'll send you Mike's email (he's running the venice chapter.)

Mar 15, 07 4:02 am  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

Moratto, I'd be interested, if at the very least as a support element!

let me know.

Mar 15, 07 11:07 am  · 
 · 
postal

Yeah, Chicago too... It seemed like there was one... at least there was an even a while back..

the only other thing I can find is a "Meet-up" Group...

Is this typical of the level of organization of Groups in other cities?

Did every archie with a conscience move to New Orleans, Biloxi?

Mar 15, 07 11:47 am  · 
 · 
Cameron

There were 70 in Chicago but when the 'leader' of the chapter had to resign (work commitments etc.) no one stepped up. Chapters only emerge with strong leadership. NYC has 3 directors and 6 projects on the board, MN, Iowa and SF also have good leadership and are implementing projects.

and yes all the archies are in the 'loxi (we've brought down 2-300 since last year.)

Mar 15, 07 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
moratto

Squirrelly- I think I am going to check out the Venice chapter. I'll give you the contact information after Cameron sends it to me.

btw: when did you go to the Bartlett?

Mar 16, 07 12:26 am  · 
 · 
jackjood

Mates,

Perhaps I can shed some more light on the issue. Sorry it has taken me so long to post. Cameron's info regarding the AFH-LA chapter is all correct, and I am excited to hear these positive comments coming from everyone.

I have been active in the creation of the LA arm of AFH, and we have slowly been gaining momentum. We are currently developing our chapter website, mission statement, etc. The chapter is been based out of Venice, and is mostly comprised of young professionals. The chapter has recently experienced a bit of a shake-up, as the leader who initiated the chapter is moving out of the country next month.

But do not despair, moratto... we have accumulated a small group of dedicated individuals, who are really excited about initiating action at the local level, and we are looking to grow.

The Meet-up site has been deactivated, so I would recommend that ANYONE interested in impacting affordable housing issues, combatting desparity and poverty, and bringing conscience-driven design home to LA, contact the group through our trusty googlegroup ([email protected]).

Our next meeting is scheduled to be at Danny's Deli in Venice @ the Boardwalk near Windward Circle - Tuesday, 27 March @ 7:00pm. Come and check it out. And if you can't make it, don't despair (a second time). You can help most by TALKING US UP... tell your friends.

Mar 16, 07 4:30 am  · 
 · 
Cameron

jackjood,
In the next couple of months we wll be rolling out chapter tools to help coordinate, meet up and collaborate within the chapter and with other chapters around the world.

AFH Iowa and AFH Minnesota are doing a joint symposium at the end of the month in Ames.

Mar 16, 07 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
jackjood

Cameron,

That's great news. It will be great to have greater dialogue across chapters, as well as from International.

Will there be any sort of webcast or online publication of the discussions coming out of Ames?

Also, very excited about the implicatications of Open Arch. Network (http://www.openarchitecturenetwork.org/).

Mar 16, 07 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
postal

I guess I'll ask people at this "Meet-up" group thing if they want to start a legit AFH group in chicago...

might i ask what a legit AFH group would ential in your eyes Cameron?

I don't think I have the appropriate leadership qualities, (experience, etc.) that would champion a group in chicago, but i'll keep my eyes peeled...

anyway, i hardly think an area like chicago would not benefit from an organized AFH...

Mar 16, 07 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
futureboy

our afh new york group really got underway by going out and finding community groups that we could help out....which believe it or not wasn't as hard as it sounds. basically our membership provided really good leads and we just tried to be professional and follow them down. i think the nice thing about formulating around working with community groups is that it gives a great connection between the abstract world and the reality of your locale...also, a lot of community groups and local non-profits share members, so you will find your influence expand quickly...like architecture these other groups form a small world. we'll actually been lucky enough to work with a really diverse group of organizations: from a punk artist collective turned community arts center, to a arts centered after-school facility in the bronx, to a women's homeless shelter, a local boating organization on an industrial waterway, and with the city itself in planning and designing for a public park that connects manhattan and the bronx....if you approach anything with the right mentality any project like this quickly becomes about much more than helping out a small group..its really about teaching design values to the general population and getting involved politically in those things that can lead to a better life and environment whereever you are.

Mar 16, 07 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

That sounds fantastic Jackjood.....I have put the date on my Outlook....so I shall be there for sure (if god allows it).

Morratto....I was that the Bartlett, right before Peter Cook left (the m.arch class the yr before his departure). That was 2002-2003.

Mar 16, 07 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

btw jackjood, do you have the physical address ( or slightly better directions)

sorry mate!

Mar 16, 07 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

I was at the Bartlett 1996-1997. uugh.

Here is a list of chapters (some are on hiatus at the moment)

AFH Italy (based in Genoa)
AFH NYC, NY
AFH SF, California
AFH Fargo, North Dakota
AFH Los Angeles, California
AFH Minneapolis, Minnesota
AFH Ames, Iowa

AFH Miami, Florida*
AFH Boston, Massachusetts
AFH Atlanta, Georgia*
AFH Austin, Texas
AFH Belfast, Northern Ireland*
AFH Chattanooga, Tennessee
AFH Knoxville, Tennessee
AFH Dublin, Ireland
AFH Houston, Texas*
AFH UK (based in London)
AFH San Diego, California
AFH St. Louis, Missouri
AFH Sydney, Australia*
AFH Tampa, Florida
AFH Toronto, Canada
AFH Washington DC

*on hiatus
bold= strongest growing chapters w/ projects on the ground.

Mar 16, 07 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
quixotica

I was part of the meet-up version of the chapter in Philadelphia, But when the leader moved to New York the group pretty much fell apart before any real work had been done. I'd love to get something started again, but I don't think that meet-up site was the way to go.

Mar 16, 07 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
jackjood

Squirrelly et al.,

As I mentioned before, the 27 March meeting of AFH-LA will happen at Danny's Deli (23 Windward, Venice, CA 90291). Starts @ 7pm.

futureboy,

LA's chapter has also been aligning itself with local non-profits. And while conventional stereotypes label LA as 'self-centered', 'egotistical', and 'greedy', there are a TON of non-profits doing GREAT work in this city and abroad. Not to mention, an incredible wealth of creative & financial capital.

We are also pushing the political establishment to acknowledge some of the GLARING issues surrounding a lack of affordable housing in SoCal. This includes promoting the necessity of the approval of Villaragosa's Affordable Housing Bond on the ballot this year (a similar bond FAILED in 2006).

Thanks for the support, everyone!

Mar 16, 07 2:51 pm  · 
 · 

there's an AFH-Tampa???

Cameron, could you send me some contact information for the Tampa leader. I'm VERY involved with the AIA here, particulary Emerging Tampa Bay Architects (ETBA), and I've never heard anything about AFH in Tampa. I'd love to hook up with them as I think that a lot of the things that ETBA is accomplishing could be of interest. We could also funnel some people into AFH. In fact we have an event coming up soon with one of the guys from Public Architecture/1% Solution including a screening of the documentary on the scrap house.

Mar 16, 07 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
jackjood

quixotica,

googlegroups are great for starting up. they are much more flexible than meetup sites.

no, i am not heavily vested in google.

Mar 16, 07 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
hobbitte

If anyone in New Zealand is reading this thread and interested in starting one up either in Auckland or Wellington (where I'm based) hit me up because I'd be super duper keen! That is of course if Cameron will let us - it'll be also great to resurrect the Australian chapter and make something of a trans-tasman quality - Opening up a dialogue for stronger interoperability and interdisciplinary collaboration is exactly what we need right now... if that makes any sense!

Mar 16, 07 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

We are writing up affiliate agreements so it will make it easier for fiscal sponsorship. But go ahead.. I recommend 'drinking for humanity' - this is where you meet up once a month at a pub/bar/etc. and the first drink you would have purchased goes into a kitty. With 40 people there, you will have enough funds to build your first project in the first night.

I just found out today we are supporting a new project in Detroit.

Mar 16, 07 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
moratto

Jack- I'll be there on Tuesday. I am excited, it will be first time to hang out in Venice.

Are there projects on the plate?

Mar 17, 07 12:48 am  · 
 · 
Cameron

fyi. I'll be speaking @ Neocon express in LA next month.

Mar 17, 07 3:27 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: