Archinect
anchor

what to do in dallas/fort worth

spas99

hey - going on a road trip from denver to dallas/ft worth area to check out the kimball art museum, etc... looking for somewhere cool to hang in evening. any suggestions?

Mar 14, 07 6:59 pm
n_

there was a post about this within the past month. you may want to back track a bit and find it.

Mar 14, 07 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

grassy knoll?

previously

Mar 14, 07 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
SPYDER01

spas99...

whats the architecture scene like in denver?

Mar 14, 07 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

If its even, then you migth want to head up to addison and visit the "flying saucer." That is if you like pages and pages of beer selections. Its a pretty awesome place. If you are downtown, and feel adventurous, head over to the Uptown area. THere are lots of clubs for the young and hip urban crowd (25-35 year olds) and just down the street is the gay and transvestite district.

I could tell you more if you told me where you would be staying, and what you're in to.

Mar 15, 07 8:40 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

Ft Worth is strangely enough a very nice city ...Visualise a Cultural Arts center featuring Ando and Kahn, juxtaposed with stock yards. As for Dallas..see the Nasher Sculpture Musem, Morton Meyerspn (Pei)...and that is about it, in my opinion...unless you are into P Johnson, which you will get your fill

( I moved to CO <Boulder> to escape Texas 15 years ago)

Mar 15, 07 9:14 am  · 
 · 
SPYDER01

addison and uptown are lame... go check out monkey bar or meridian room..

Mar 15, 07 9:16 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

where are those? Ive never heard of monkey bar. Spyder are you from here?

Mar 15, 07 9:19 am  · 
 · 
spas99

thanks for all the info. sarah - the uptown area sounds like the place to be... that's what we are mainly looking for - ideas for nighttime activities. we mainly have our "archi-tour" planned out already.

spyder 01 - the denver architecture scene is improving but is nothing to really plan a trip around. the art museum is a must - of course - the libeskind addition and the original gio ponti wing. the new museum of contemporary art - by david adaje - should be nice once it's completed but it's under construction at this time. other than that...??? maybe someone else can add to this -

o - and where are the monkey bar and meridian room? uptown lame?

elvischyld - thanks - checkd out the previous posting - thanks to to holz.box.

Mar 15, 07 11:07 am  · 
 · 
jigsaw

i'll second spyder, the meridian room and the monkey bar are good bars... they're off of exposition by fair park.

on thursday night, the DMA and the Nasher are open until 9pm.

for the local music scene when you're there look up www.weshotjr.com
you might catch a show at the gypsy tea room, lakewood theater, or hailey's (in denton).

Mar 15, 07 11:12 am  · 
 · 
spas99

perfect! definitely interested in music. if we had more time we'd head to austin!

Mar 15, 07 11:21 am  · 
 · 
SPYDER01

south by southwest in austin this weekend fyi

Mar 15, 07 11:36 am  · 
 · 
spas99

yea - i know... unfortunately it adds 6 hours onto our drive and we only have fri pm - mon am (including drive time)... is it hard to get tix to that? we were interested in seeing electric apricot.

Mar 15, 07 11:47 am  · 
 · 
ochona

it is damn near impossible to get a sxsw wristband, but you can always wait in line at the show of your choice and hope it's not so crowded that you can't get in -- you'll then pay full cover -- if you can get in, and that's a big "if", most venues are pretty small

not worth the 6 hour round trip -- stay in d/FW

Mar 15, 07 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
spas99

figured! thanks!

Mar 15, 07 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

theres a car show this weekend if you're interested. If you go here http://www.guidelive.com/portal/page?_pageid=33,97296&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL they might have some info on things to do.

Sorry, I don't yet know how to do the link thing, or bold and italicised type yet. Oh great archinect masters, please teach me your ways.

Mar 15, 07 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Well I guess that works, not as cool as the way everyone else does it though.

Mar 15, 07 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
SPYDER01

if you are looking for a fun event... go to the lower greenville avenue st. patricks day parade... good times there...its on saturday moring and last well into the night... they close down a bar lined street and the crowds are poured into the streets... one of dallas very few outdoor events...

Mar 15, 07 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Isn't it suppose to rain saturday? Spyder, you must live around these here parts, how long?

Mar 15, 07 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
SPYDER01

yeah.. i live downtown.. too long unfortunately... :) rain or shine the parade will go on...

Mar 15, 07 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I hope you aren't saying "too long" abot Texas, and instead just about downtown.

I had a photographer that lived in the old sears warehouse. Its a cool place.

Mar 15, 07 5:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: