Archinect
anchor

Housing in Thailand + Singapore

Hey ya'll! Wow, I haven't been on archinect in what feels like ages, and that's because finally, after over a year of unemployment, I finally landed an internship and am living in New York! *slow clap from the back corner of archinect*

Thanks. Anyway, I'm paroosing the nets for interesting takes on housing typologies in Thailand and Singapore and wondered if any of you smart people had some thoughts on this. The vernacular of these buildings have historically been highly motivated by climatic conditions giving these traditional houses an incredible connection to nature, breezy open spaces, and the like...for example the kampong houses of Singapore and the stilt houses of Thailand. But as these countries develop, that tradition seems to fall away. Maybe I'm wrong and these traditions are stronger than ever? Anyone know of projects, both new and old, that are boldly Thai or Singaporean? And does anyone have their opinions of what these design methods lend to architecture as a whole?

Sources?

Jul 24, 12 7:05 pm

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: