Archinect
anchor

construction experience

SPYDER01

fellow archinectors.....

after graduating with my undergrad 3 years ago, i worked on my internship at an architecture office for 2 years. fed up with the perils of an architectural internship and sick of being nothing more than a monkey, i quit and began working in construction. i am now a project manager with a thousand times more responsibility and love it. its nice working on actually building the project, rather than drawing it.

my question is, i want to go back to grad school in the next few years for architecture, and ultimately open my own design build firm, do you guys think that i am making a mistake by working as a GC now instead of learning more about 'design' at an architecture office?

thx...

Mar 13, 07 10:19 pm
dia

No mistake is being made. Just dont be one of these people who sit there in crits saying, "In the REAL world, bla, bla, bla....", and talking at length about flashing details.

School is for design and experimentation. If you are lucky enough, your professional life after masters could be too.

Mar 13, 07 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

SPYDER01

I think that you are doing / have done the right thing. You know how to put a building together. As long as you have an appreciation for 'design' and 'architecture' you will be fine. Going back to school may give you better credentials in the academic world, but it wont do much to make you a better maker of buildings.

If you can put a building together, you are ahead of the game. Read architecture books on your own. Learn about detailing (The books 'Details of Modern Architecture' are good for this)

There is a builder in LA who was trained as an architect (I am sure there are many)

http://www.bonurabuilding.com/

he is one of the most saught after builders in the city because he knows about architecture and he knows how to build. He appreciates architecture.

Mar 14, 07 1:16 am  · 
 · 

except he is lying repeatedly about his cost section...

Mar 14, 07 1:28 am  · 
 · 
tlmII

I would second diabase's comment about avoiding harping on about how things are in the "real world" - you will quickly be tagged as the stereotypical contractor. I think your experience is invaluable but would consider what the aim of your design/build firm is - are you selling your design with ability to construct it in-house as well or are you selling excellent construction execution with presumably an understanding and appreciation of the architecture and design intent? I believe that this is what Bonura Building in LA's market value primarily lies while other D/B firms (I'm referring to Los Angeles because that's where I'm at) seem to sell the architecture as the more valuable product, i.e. marmol radziner. I do think you'll have a successful enterprise as labeling yourself a "design/build" firm and constructing product designed by others. Having your breadth of experience sits well with architects who hopefully appreciate your design acumen and clients who value your track record of finishing the job, this was the premise I used when starting my Los Angeles construction firm and it is working out well so far.

Mar 14, 07 9:34 am  · 
 · 
postal

do the min. for liscensing... the rest is up to you...

Mar 14, 07 9:37 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

just keep building and designing don't bother with the degree. just find someone to stamp your drawings.

Mar 14, 07 9:51 am  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

good luck in your endevours ... sounds like that could of been the toughest yet best move of your career

- i did the construction thing before i went to get my bachelors...i just got sick of standing in the cold and smashing my fingers w/ a hammer

Mar 14, 07 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
architorture

i have to agree with others about the real world mentality you might start to accumulate after a while...don't be THAT guy at the reviews...
that's the guy that has worked in the building business long enough that he should have stayed there...
those are the ones that get frustrated at the experimentation of the design challenges school offers...

personal editorial of other comments:
grad school IS important
you do need to go back so that you can finally REFINE your design ideas, your sensiblities, and your perspective...you won't ever do that if you don't go back...

in undergrad you think you know what good design is but you really don't have the sophistication of taste and building knowledge that grad school will give you....

Mar 14, 07 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
joe

do project managers in the construction industry get paid decent? I've always heard that construction is low paying, blah blah... but I havent actually gotten ahold of any tangible facts for that.

And I'll say that being involved with construction definately opens your eyes on how it goes together. I have been doing CA for a miniscule amount of time but I have learned a lot about a lot of things. from paperwork/transmittals/submittals/shop drawings to hinge details on custom cabinets. I love going to the construction site and helping answer and talk out design/construction issues with the contractors. construction management would be an interesting thing.

Mar 14, 07 8:59 pm  · 
 · 

2nd architorture....

Mar 14, 07 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
SPYDER01

thx all...

its a i guess 'boutique' builder.. we build modern high end homes for noted architects in my town... its fun bc we are doing LEED for homes on our houses and im learning a ton.. our clients care profoundly about the details, and have the funds to experiment on details... we build full scale mock ups all the time, and its great bc its sort of like making a scale model, but with real materials...and as an extra perk.. i doubled my salary by getting into GC -which is not why i did it to begin with..i probably will end up going back to grad school, but for now im content, and everyday is an incredible learning experience...and also, i am still working on my IDP...get points for working for a builder...

Mar 14, 07 10:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: