Archinect
anchor

Holl's watercolors and physical buildings

Quoted in the Architect Magazine's May 2012 article on Steven Holl:

‎"The real function of (Steven Holl's) watercolors, then, is to keep the lengthy design process - so full of puzzles and compromises - grounded in a visceral impulse. Holding a brush between the fingers and using the bristles to spread colored water on paper is a physical act that links even the most immense and technologically advanced structure to the architect's nerve endings" - Justin Davidson. 

And this bit of mystery: "Somehow, despite all the hands-off theorizing, he had developed a set of profound intuitions about how light clings to a ceiling or coats a wall, how enclosing a volume of air can endow it with sensual magic, and how soothing a touchable surface can be.  That emphasis on the immediate, physical experience of architecture - what Holl calls its 'phenomenology' - would seem at odd with his intellectual approach"

I love Holl's buildings so much.  I know we've had other threads on his watercolors, but I love how Davidson's article makes that simple connection between understanding one physical phenomena so well - colored water on paper - translating to understanding how light and color will act in dry space and how a body will respond to a surface.

Also, just because it's such a fun read: The Best Lecture Times by Steven Holl and Someone Else, by Orhan.

Jul 23, 12 10:19 am
zonker

Donna

Good insight - have you read" Questions of Phenomenology" 

http://www.stevenholl.com/books-detail.php?id=47

another great with water colors is Calatrava

https://www.google.com/search?q=calatrava+watercolors&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=2XMNUJijEeWi2gW-yZkQ&ved=0CGMQsAQ&biw=1072&bih=869

Jul 23, 12 11:57 am  · 
 · 

Very interesting concepts. Thanks for the links. I did spend some time reading this instead of working on my current project :) it's much more interesting. Thanks again.

Holland And Green Architectural Design

Jul 23, 12 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

Holl seems to do much better with small-scale, personal architecture than large projects. St. Ignatius Chapel is stunning and wonderful in every way, and the Stretto House is remarkable. As interesting as it is in the pictures, though, Looped Hybrid in Beijing is far less interesting and compelling when you experience it directly. It's actually kind of banal.

Jul 23, 12 12:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: