Archinect
anchor

Morrissey is Spanish for God

mdler

Am I the only one who finds it crazy that Morrissey is a Latino God?

Mar 13, 07 5:09 pm
Medit

Is he a Dios?
you mean latinos in the US or latin people around the globe?

Mar 13, 07 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

mostly in the US, apparently. Got into a conversation about it at a bar here in LA this past weekend. Google Morrissey + Latino...

pretty interresting

Mar 13, 07 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
knock

Although i haven't seen the genuine morrissey, i have seen the "mexican morrissey" Very entertaining, and quite good.

http://www.sweetandtenderhooligans.com/

Mar 13, 07 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
mdler
Mar 13, 07 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

dare I ask mdler....is that from the soul who you were having this enchanted conversation with this past weekend? (Im referring to the photo)!

Mar 13, 07 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

yeah there is a latino morrissey scene in los angeles. heard about the mexican morrissey in a newspaper article a few years back. it has also spun off into mexican rockabillies, greasers, rebels...

Mar 13, 07 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

le carne es asesinato...

Mar 13, 07 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

among certain crowds here in LA they're referred to as "taco mods"

Mar 13, 07 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
work for idle hands

a scene maybe but still pretty out of the mainstream..in pure record sales he's never sold nearly as much in the US as in Britain.

The english press was brutally negative towards him in the nineties when he moved to LA. he was probably happy to be out of the public eye and among a small enclave of devotees in cali for a while. Ironically when you are the quarry came out it was hugely popular in england and became kind of a 'comeback' for him there, though i don't really think negative press has ever done anything but help him and his noteriaty.

though he was pretty outspoken against bush and co. here, even getting called in for questioning by the feds once...i think he lives in italy now.

if you've been to a morrissey show you'll realize he's a god to a lot of other persons than latinos.

Mar 13, 07 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

yeah, he's got a huge following among u.s. latinos, particularly chicanos in los angeles. i'm not sure why this is, but there was an article in spin by chuck klosterman about it (which subsequently was included in his latest book). it's also the subject of a documentary film titled is it really so strange? i went to one of his performances in pasadena last month. it was pretty cool.

Mar 13, 07 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Cris

You live in the Dena?

Mar 13, 07 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

i saw him in irvine about 5 years ago and it was funny to see just as many latinos as latinas crashing the stage to get a hug or a kiss. big asian following as well, but maybe that's cause the show was in irvine.

his cover of "how soon is now?" demolished the original (if that's possible). it was great considering he was just beginning to warm up to playing select smiths tunes at his shows.

Mar 13, 07 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
antipod

Funny, cos in English Morrissey means whiney old git!

Mar 14, 07 9:30 am  · 
 · 
xtbl

mdler, i live in temple city, which isn't too far. about 15 minutes to the southeast.

Mar 14, 07 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

i work in the 'dena, though.

Mar 14, 07 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
J3

I've been fortunate to see Morrissey 3 times in the past few years...and as a long time follower it's amazing how broad a spectrum his following is. Every nationality, gender, orientation, age...etc. Moz is a God

Mar 14, 07 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
charbroil

his song 'last of the gang to die' led to the huge following

Mar 14, 07 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

no, i don't think so. that song (it's actually "first of the gang to die")came out on his 2004 album, "you are the quarry" long after he'd become an icon to many los angeles latinos.

Mar 15, 07 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I LOVE MOZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mar 15, 07 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

you know how I know you're gay?

cause you listen to Morrissey

Mar 15, 07 6:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: