Archinect
anchor

Becoming an R.A. w/o a Professional Degree

ekelsey

Hey everyone.  I was curious as to other people's opinions about becoming an architect without going to a professional degree.  There are several states that allow people to practice under and architect and with enough experience they can sit for the test.  Thoughts?

Jul 23, 12 9:32 am
marlowe

I have a 4 year degree and am curently licensed in 5 states (NY, TX, CO, CA, MD).  There are likely several other states (IL, WI, WA) which I can obtain a license in but have not had a need to apply there.

Rather than seek a M.Arch I chose a different route and obtained a MBA instead.

Jul 24, 12 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

It's possible, but I would think it would be hard to get that first job without the degree. If you can get by that, getting licensed without the degree can save a lot of time and money.

Jul 24, 12 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
ekelsey

I know of a few people at work that did it, and one who is working on it now.  But it seems that more and more states are adopting NCARB and getting rid of the alternate paths.  Also it looks like the BEA option is extremely tough to get through, something like 30 a year is what I have been told, but I am not sure how many apply though.

Jul 24, 12 6:31 pm  · 
 · 

I qualified to start taking exams through work equiv. Apprenticing with licensed Architects for 8 years...and am taking the exams. It's the way I wanted to go, and no student loan to pay back. It seems my work experience has always been an asset more than lack of college has been a drawback.

Jul 25, 12 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

you will need to have your license for 6 years good standing in the state where you received that license in order to gain reciprocity in most other states (via NCARB certification).  with a professional degree you don't need to wait to gain reciprocity.

Jul 25, 12 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
sandhilldesign

This is a good question and not discusses nearly enough. Currently I am wrestling with the same question. I'll give you a little back ground on my experience and then explain what I've learned about the process.

I only have a BSAS (4 year architecture) 08'.

Currently I live and work in Aspen. Co. and have the opportunity to work on very highend homes with costs typically ranging from 10-50 million dollars. For two years I stumbled onto a project working for Renzo Piano (shear luck) working out of Aspen. The experience I've gained working out here is world class mainly due to the clientel's ability to pay for excellence, quality, innovation, and art.

Most of the architects working in this area do not have a Masters degree, claim it is unnecessary, and do not seem to suffer because of it. As was stated before its getting the job / experience / hours in the first place that is the hard part but once you get in the door everything changes. At that point the challange becomes finding work that is interesting to you, that satisfies your desires/values/goals in architecture. 

NCARB does not require you to even have a highschool degree to become a RA. You can work your way to it. Also it is not necessary to become an RA as in most firms there are multiple people in the office that are and can stamp or as more often the case the Owner/Partner of the firm will want to stamp the drawings and your stamp will sit dry until you have you own firm (in which case you can hire an RA to stamp)

Grad School is not necessary to become an Architect. Architecture is am Art before it is a science and that means how you educate yourself is also an Art. Most architecture firms hire based on your experience. Something you can only learn on the job. Most grad schools will teach you how to think architecturally for the rest of your life.

Personally I think that grad school is a great idea for:

- Those who are sincerly interested in filling in the gaps that are not being filled in from working.

-Those who have a specific area on interest they want to investigate further.

-Those who want to teach.

This is a good topic to discuss. Interest to hear others take...

Jul 26, 12 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
Quentin

I'm trying to go this route but like "there is no there" said it's hard to get your foot in the door with such a weak degree. Sucks, I'm still trying to get my first break. Alas....

Jul 26, 12 1:55 pm  · 
 · 

I only had 2 years of Architecture at a community college. I took a job at a busy firm making $6.50 an hour, 20 hours a week, doing filing, and whatever needed to get done...whenever anyone needed something done, like drafting, or whatever, I said I could do it. After asking people how to do it, I did my best...as people left or were fired, I would take over what they were working on...I ended up quitting school, they asked to to start working full time...eventually worked my way up to P.M. At the three firms I have worked for, not one has made not having a degree an issue, I have gotten every job I have applied for. For me, all I need now is to finish the exams and go out on my own.

Jul 26, 12 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
ekelsey

I am planning on going this route.  A few people I work with have or are currently working on it.  I have seen a few potential hangups involving becoming NCARB certified... But I can't afford grad school now and I can't do another 4 years worth of school without scratching my eyes out..

Jul 31, 12 5:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: