Archinect
anchor

Perkins + Will - Dallas and SOM Chicago

under

Can anyone tell me a bit about this office?

I know a lot about Chicago, wondering if there are opportunities for any real design work in dallas, culture of the office, etc..
What type of markets are they involved in?

Also, can anyone tell me about SOM Chicago since the recent
reorganization?

Thanks

Mar 13, 07 1:16 pm
Sarah Hamilton

I don't know anything about the firm, but Dallas is a pretty awesome place. There is a HUGE cultural push right now, and so lots of big name architects are building here.

But yeah, I don't know anything about the firm. I work for a mauseleum/cemetery/funeral home design firm. WOOHOO, High design here!

Mar 14, 07 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Hey, with that sense of humor, you could work here!

Mar 15, 07 8:21 am  · 
 · 
curt clay

doesn't SOM chicago reorganize every few months?

When I worked in the building we'd always see SOM people at night, then we wouldn't see them for like 4 months after a big layoff, then we'd see them again... then we wouldn't see them after the next layoff, then we'd see them again...

When asked why they keep coming back, they say the satisfaction, quality of the work, and caliber of projects keep them coming back. very few firms can compare..

Mar 16, 07 9:18 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

The running joke around here is that nobody respects you as an architect in Chicago until you've been fired by SOM at least once.

Mar 16, 07 9:33 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: