Archinect
anchor

this state or that state?

Now that IDP and NCARB have homogenized the US internship experience and it's easier-then-ever to transfer your license from place to place, what is the best state to get your initial registration in?

The easy answer is wherever you happen to live/work, but is that the best? Some places have direct registration that cuts out the NCARB middleman (like CT...), other places have lower fees or continuing education requirements, while CA and HI have unique supplemental hoops to jump through that prevent most out-of-state practitioners for getting a slice of the pie...

So where are you getting registered and why?

Mar 11, 07 8:22 pm
Gloominati

There are a few states that allow you to start testing before completion of IDP. That's one reason that certain states have a disproportionately large number of people testing through them who don't live in them. You can take the tests anyplace, regardless of which state you're testing through, and in all but one or two cases you do not have to reside or work in the state that you're testing through either.

The direct registration set-up doesn't really cut out the middleman. It makes the process a little quicker on the front end because you don't have to wait for the state to approve you to test, and your test results will arrive slightly sooner than they would if they had to go through a state board. But the wait is usually longer at the end for registration in those states. I was in one of those states and my wait at the end, after I finished testing, was almost 3 months.

I guess the abscence of continuing ed rules in some states make them easier than others once you're licensed - but if you plan to join the AIA you'll have to do continuing ed regardless of which state you choose.

CA and HI aren't the only states with supplemental hoops to jump through - there are about 15 states that require things like take-home open-book tests on their statutes and regs, or short papers summarizing local codes. A few, like WA, have their own oral exams but only for people who don't do IDP. CA certainly has the highest hoops to jump through, but if you plan to practice in CA it is still the best (only) choice...

Fees are higher some places than others, so that might be a consideration. But if you pick a state because of the fees and then you have to get reciprocity somewhere else later then you'll find yourself spending far more to transmit your NCARB record and apply for reciprocity than you will save by registering in a "cheap" state at the outset.

Usually, for most people, the smoothest way to do it is to test through and get your first license in the state where you work or where you plan to be working in the immediate future. But there are any number of reasons that individuals might make other choices.

Mar 11, 07 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
some person

I'm currently pursuing registration in DC. For me, it was a choice between DC (where I work), VA (where I live), and MD (where my current project is). My career goal is to work on downtown DC projects, so I want to send a clear message to my firm that I'm serious about working on urban projects in the city.

The ease-of-registration factor had little bearing for me. I could have started testing a long time ago for Wisconsin (my home state), but I think I would have needed to do all of the IDP and NCARB requirements anyways if I wanted reciprocity elsewhere.

Where are you planning to get registered first, Barry?

Mar 11, 07 8:47 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

TX has probably the most liberal rules in terms of residency and ability to take the ARE prior to IDP completion

Mar 12, 07 10:59 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Really? Tell me more about Texas. How "prior" ar we talking?

Mar 12, 07 11:43 am  · 
 · 
ochona

you can start taking the ARE via texas after you have graduated with a professional degree and six months' work experience -- it is completely feasible to space out your exams such that you're finished with your tests when you finish IDP

www.tbae.state.tx.us

and no residency requirements

Mar 12, 07 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

Wisconsin seems to be the midwestern slacker (no pro degree required), so lots of the technical staff in my office are looking towards registration there after accumulating 7 years experience...

concurrent testing (while doing IDP) is great and I hope all states adapt this rule.

Mar 12, 07 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
binary

tree,,, u have a link?

b

Mar 12, 07 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

and Wisconsin has the top 2 party school according to Playboy's Top Party Schools 2006

Mar 12, 07 2:08 pm  · 
 · 

A friend of mine is pursuing registration in Arizona, despite living in California, because of similarly relaxed rules about when you can take exams in relations to your IDP qualifications.

Another chose to complete registration in the state in which she had previously lived, because it was easier than switching everything over to California in the middle of exams (and because the oral exam sucks).

Mar 12, 07 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller
WI Department of Regulations and Licensing

Pursue education and experience to fulfill requirements. All applicants will be required to submit Equivalent Intern Development Program Record of Experience or the NCARB IDP Periodic Assessment Report

An applicant for registration as an architect shall submit satisfactory evidence to the examining board:

(a) That he or she has acquired a thorough knowledge of sound construction, building hygiene, architectural design and mathematics; and

(b)
1. A diploma of graduation, or a certificate, from an architectural school or college approved by the examining board as of satisfactory standing, together with at least 2 years’ practical experience of a character satisfactory to the examining board in the design and construction of buildings; or
2. A specific record of 7 or more years of experience in architectural work of a character satisfactory to the examining board in the design and construction of buildings.

Note : A bachelor of architecture degree from an approved school or college shall be considered as equivalent to 5 years of experience, and the completion satisfactory to the examining board of each year of work in architecture in such school or college without graduation shall be considered equivalent to one year of experience. Graduation in a course other than architecture from an approved school or college shall be considered as equivalent to not more than 4 years of experience.

Building hygiene???? can a building floss?

Mar 12, 07 2:13 pm  · 
 · 

in florida you can start taking the test after earning 235 IDP credits...

also, if you have an M.Arch. you only need a total of 465 IDP credits rather than the full 700 that you need with a B.Arch.

of course, i didn't take advantage of the concurrent testing option because i was a slacker... but i did finally start the ARE in january... 4 down, 5 to go....

Mar 12, 07 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

Florida does allow licensing with only 465 IDP units for someone with any M.Arch degree. But taking that route if you only have a first-professional M.Arch (as opposed to a post-pro M.Arch, which gets you 6 months of IDP units through regular NCARB IDP rules) will mean that you'll have to finish and document the rest of your IDP units anyway in order to get reciprocity in nearly any other state.

One other thing to be aware of if you test early in one state and expect to transfer your record to get licensed in another once you're done with IDP: some states don't allow doing things out of order. Reading through the board minutes of your state may help you to understand their views on this - and you should always call or write your board to see what their policies are if you're planning something like this.
For example: Oregon rejects applications from people who test before completion of IDP (there are records of these decisions in their meeting minutes.) When a person who tested early through some other state tries to transfer their record to Oregon, the board usually gives them the choice of either getting registered elsewhere and then applying for reciprocity (which is long and expensive) or re-taking the tests that were taken "out of sequence".

So do check the rules of the state where you're really planning to work!

Mar 12, 07 6:39 pm  · 
 · 

Ms. DCA - Where I take the AREs are still up in the air as I wrap up IDP. CA is very tempting since concurrent testing allows me to start ASAP, and I have lots of connections and interests in the golden state.

Mar 12, 07 7:57 pm  · 
 · 

But then you've got to sit the California Oral, which (a) must be done in person, and (b) many people need several tries to pass.

Mar 12, 07 8:00 pm  · 
 · 

yeah? so it gives me an excuse to visit!!!! I'm not intimidated by the stories I've heard...

Mar 12, 07 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

I don't think you should be intimidated by the stories. But you should take the published 40% pass rate seriously and plan accordingly. Having to wait to take that CA test will also stretch out the wait before you're finally licensed, because it has a wait list typically in excess of 6 months. But if that's the state where you're most likely to want to practice then by all means just do it and get it over with!

Mar 12, 07 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

*bump*

I'm looking at the light at the end of my RLA journey and double checking my initial registration in MN versus elsewhere. So is there a MD/CT with low threshold for licensure/low fees for 'scapers?

Aug 21, 08 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

AZ because hommie don't play that!

Aug 21, 08 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
Ledoux's Eye

The road to reciprocity runs through NCARB. Whatever route you choose for getting that first license, you would be wise to make sure you are following the rules in a way that will allow you to get your NCARB Certificate. This will be your ticket to reciprocity in most states.

And, if you ever think you will want to practice in California, you will have to take the oral exam. Even if you are already licensed in 49 other states, you have to take the oral exam to get reciprocity in California. There are plenty of stories (I have no idea if they are true) of some big names in architecture that stumbled in that oral exam when they were trying to get reciprocity in California. However, that being said, when I took the oral exam I did not think it was that bad and I walked out thinking that there was not a single question that was asked that I would not expect a competent architect, worthy of having a license, to know. Thankfully, I passed.

Aug 21, 08 9:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: