Archinect
anchor

Drag in architecture

白思雅^_^

I am sure there are architects here! Could you explain me in normal words what is DRAG? We learn about qualifying measurable quantities, and I have to explain what drag is... I read articles and dictionaries, I think I understand, but cannot explain it to myself and collect my thoughts in one speech. What exactely drag does to a structure? Am i interested to have it or not? Does it have something with wind rose diagrams? Why do I need to understand it and calculate it? Will my building fall if i will not? How so then? Could you give me some visual examples of the effect of drag on a building? Thank you very much! Please help!:)))

Jul 18, 12 10:30 pm
drums please, Fab?

what like rupaul?

Jul 19, 12 12:28 am  · 
 · 
metal

wind loads are a pain especially on skyscrapers, which have built in mechanisms to deal with oscillation. 

Jul 19, 12 2:16 am  · 
 · 
白思雅^_^

Thanks;) drawing helps. It is going to be a single family house, not more than 2 floors, i think. I am confused with the idea that wind Itself is more connected to velocity(action), and drag is the reaction to this action. In this case house is a solid object and it depends on it's weight if the velocity can or cannot affect it? Basically knowing the speed and consistency of the wind, i have to figure out how much weight my house should be? How does it work with directions to which i can turn my building? Or geometric form? And what drag actually does with all of this? Still confusing:((( sorry:(((

Jul 19, 12 4:47 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: