Archinect
anchor

Play of architecture\landscape

pDESIGN

Spending a bit of time burned out from the last set of reviews and looking for interesting projects that begin to cross the line between landscape arch. and architecture. There are several extant projects (many of which aren't coming to mind at the moment) that do this, a simple example being the Museumplein in Amsterdam. Projects where landscape (traditional grass or otherwise) begins to fold over, within and under architecture...

Perhaps this is a call out eyecandy.
Perhaps I need some more sleep.
Either way I'm looking for interesting examples.
Or coffee. Send 'em if you got 'em.

Thanks.

Mar 8, 07 6:11 pm
holz.box

there was a competition for the museum of the history of polish jews in '05. a lot of the projects dealt with that. kuma's entry was pretty phenomenal.

eisenman's city of culture in santiago de compostella

mecanoo's library @ tu delft

plot's maritime center in copenhagen

Mar 8, 07 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

damnit u got me on the delft library - there is this other architect i studied in school but i cant remeber his name for the life of me...i think hes in this book i have at home called "landscrapers"...btw you should check that book out

dont step on the grass

this always gets my wheels turnin'

Mar 8, 07 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

Mar 8, 07 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
freebornman

that would be aaron betsky link

Mar 8, 07 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
cvankle

FOAs project, can't remember the name, its on a pier?

Mar 8, 07 9:51 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

aghhh....the name is Emilio Ambasz....with a name like that how could remember it.

Mar 8, 07 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

well i forgot how to shrink and enlarge images so just search his name...all he does is architecture in the landscape

Mar 8, 07 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

or landscape over the architecture depends on how you look at it

Mar 8, 07 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

gustav peichl's satellite tracking station
Mar 8, 07 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

ambasz's projects are great, but i tend to think of it as an iteration of 70's underground housing.

it's the yokohama ferry terminal by FOA.

Mar 9, 07 12:12 am  · 
 · 
noMSG

read Jame's Corner's Recovering Landscapes: Essays in Contemporary landscape theory... inspiring and insightful reading on a hybrid of architecture and landscape arch.

also see Eisenman's latest and greatest... the culture center in Spain (official complex name escapes me)

Mar 9, 07 12:29 am  · 
 · 
hobbitte

Kengo Kuma...

Mar 9, 07 5:29 am  · 
 · 
freebornman

cvankle, that's the yokohama ferry terminal. i think it was their first big projects (they won the competition in 1995, it was finished in 2002)- rem's children at work. yokohama terminal

Mar 9, 07 7:55 am  · 
 · 
defpoints

Landschaftspark Duisburg-Nord, Latz+Partner:

link

On a remediation/urban-industrial tip...

Mar 9, 07 8:39 am  · 
 · 

a lot of West 8's stuff is what i would consider landscape urbanism... especially the schouwburgplein in rotterdam... however, a lot of their stuff is definitely not "traditional landscape" (i.e. no trees/grass)...

also field operations/jim corner

some of rem/oma's stuff could be considered...

millenium park in chicago is all built over a huge parking garage...

also, i'll second noMSG's suggestion of jim corner's book... especially alex wall's essay in it...

Mar 9, 07 8:48 am  · 
 · 

oh yeah... the brand new olympic sculpture park in seattle by weiss/manfredi

Mar 9, 07 8:50 am  · 
 · 
pDESIGN

All--
Thanks for your replies. Right now I'm fairly caught between where I want to begin my practice: A more traditional architecture firm, one that deals with landscape or some mix of the two (last point engendered this post). Not that I'm looking for the answer off this board, but there's a number of good landscape offices doing GREAT work. Accepting a job from one of them would seem to stunt my architectural career, directing me into LA. More than you needed to know... but thanks for the posts! It's given me tons of work to look at and consider.

Mar 9, 07 11:24 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: