Archinect
anchor

Tokyo Sky City?

Enigmatic Mind

I just watched a Discovery Channel series for the building of a Tokyo Sky City (if ever possible).....all I can say is wow, the work that would need to go into building that, is phenominal. How come were afraid to build like that in the US. Shouldn't we be working towards the future, not against it? Maybe this question is too far-fetched....answer if you'd like, no hard feelings.

Mar 8, 07 9:19 am

did this "sky city" not have red brick veneer?

was it colonial- or gothic-inspired?

i don't think i understand the question.

Mar 8, 07 9:36 am  · 
 · 
marmkid

while i agree that we are afraid at times to push the limit in the US, something of this scale would have to be started in a large open area, just to get built
basically it is building a brand new city from scratch
thats hard to get funded

i do like the idea of bringing everything off the ground, which would then lower the temperature on the ground and free up green space

i dont know if it would actually work like that, but its an interesting idea
very science fiction

Mar 8, 07 10:35 am  · 
 · 

corb lifted things off of the ground to get free (certainly not green) space below.

does anyone think this was a successful move? best use of that space i've seen was the parking between the pilotis at the berlin habite.

"lower the temperature on the ground" = make a wind tunnel more often than not.

Mar 8, 07 11:17 am  · 
 · 
marmkid

yeah it does seem to just create a nice wind tunnel or parking lot

it looks like the tokyo sky city thing took it to the extreme where it wouldnt create a wind tunnel on the ground due to its immense scale

you would need to get things above so high up and spaced apart that it is barely a feasible project

the ideas seem interesting, though mainly theoretic not entirely realistic

the tokyo thing seems like some of the winners from the evolo skyscraper thing, where it is so far beyond what would be attempted today, it is mainly a theoretical design excercise
which still has merit and can be fun

Mar 8, 07 11:21 am  · 
 · 

i agree. didn't mean to sound cynical. but corb was the first thing i thought of when i thought about green space under a building...

Mar 8, 07 11:24 am  · 
 · 

i'll have to look up this sky city thing. i know tokyo was hoping to build an urban island in their harbor, but i hadn't heard about this idea. sounds like a metabolist update? i loved the metabolist stuff, but, yeah, pretty scifi.

Mar 8, 07 11:25 am  · 
 · 
marmkid

yeah i cant think of an example of built work where it actually worked out nice either
i wonder if there are any
you would probably need a client with a lot of guts to attempt something like that

it seems someone spent a good amount of time on the sky city, based on the little i saw online when i did a quick search for it
seemed pretty interesting, ill have to try and catch that one on the discovery channel sometime

Mar 8, 07 11:28 am  · 
 · 
Enigmatic Mind

Check it out....

http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/engineering/skycity/interactive/interactive.html

Seem practical, or just to Sci-Fi

Mar 8, 07 12:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: