Archinect
anchor

UCLA visit

Chase Dammtor

I'm going to visit UCLA in a few weeks to check out the school, since I might be doing to M.Arch 1 program there.

So I have 2 questions:

1) Anyone have suggestions about hotels nearby that are reasonably decent but not ridiculously expensive? The UCLA Guest House is sold out.

2) Suggestions about what to see / what to pay attention to at the architecture school to really get the feel of it would be great.

Thanks!

-Chase

Mar 7, 07 10:22 pm
cpnorris

I would say talk to as many people as you can and don't be shy about it. Most people are happy to discuss there school and what they are doing if you ask them. See how happy the students are being there and what they think about it. Try to get a feel for what they are working on, i.e. range of work, what they are studying, scale of projects, etc. And definitely check out the entire building and see every facility they have to offer like wood shop, computer labs, etc. Usually schools will let you sit it on classes which is nice and if there are any design reviews going on be sure and check that out. Have fun! UCLA is a very nice campus.

Mar 7, 07 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Since you'll be close, check out the Getty Center. And Prada on Rodeo. Easy access via bus.

Also, check out the new Eli Broad art school building on campus. Get to the top floor and step out to the balcony for a great view of West LA.

Mar 8, 07 1:05 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

there's a holiday inn on santa monica right by the 405... might be a bit noisy but cheaper... on olympic just east of westwood, there's a courtyard by marriot. much quieter and across the street from a ralph's supermarket...

are you going to be around for final reviews? (week of the 19th). let me know and i can drop you a list if you're interested.

Mar 8, 07 3:29 am  · 
 · 
Chase Dammtor

Thanks for the suggestions!

Mar 8, 07 8:15 am  · 
 · 
Fallon James

Chase have you heard anything about financial aid/scholarships from UCLA? They are definetly my top choice its just really expensive out of state. I would love to hear your impressions of the school. I don't think that I am going to have time to go out before our desions are supposed to be in.

Mar 8, 07 9:10 am  · 
 · 
whitllam

If the Guest House isn't available, here's a place in Westwood Village (within walking distance of campus) that seems affordable. I can't vouch for it personally, but it seems to have some decent reviews:

Royal Palace Westwood

As for student aid, don't expect to hear anything until you are accepted, but I came from out of state and received a mix of subsidized and unsubsidized student loans to cover tuition, supplies, and my part of the rent. It is pretty easy to gain in-state residency classification for your second and third years, which dramatically reduces your financial burden. Don't expect to get any scholarships from the department itself until at least your second year; your best bet is outside scholarships if you can find them.

Mar 8, 07 10:57 am  · 
 · 
twotwotwo

Hey Chase - I didn't realize you had started this thread.

I don't know anything about hotels but I would suggest checking out the new installation through M&A (Materials and Applications), opening on April 1. They do interesting installations, one of which I saw this summer and enjoyed. I think their newest is some sort of igloo, see link

Are you going to have/rent a car when you are out there?

Mar 8, 07 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
Fallon James

whitllam just curious how did you gain in-state residency classification for your second and third years? I thought that your status your first year carried with you through out your degree? I have actually already been accepted and I am just trying to figure out pragmatically if it is something that I can do and honestly feeling a bit overwhelmed right now.

Mar 8, 07 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

If you follow all the steps to becoming a resident (register to vote, get a license, register you car, etc.) you will qualify for instate at UCLA after a year.

Mar 8, 07 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
whitllam

I haven't done it yet (I'm only a 1st year), but from what I have learned from others, it's a pretty painless process if you do what cpnorris wrote above in addition to filing a CA income tax form (even if it's all zeros) and NOT working in your home state during your breaks.

Mar 8, 07 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
Chase Dammtor

I think i'm gonna rent a car. I could take a cab from LAX up to westwood... but I dont think I want to be tied to westwood while I'm there. It's LA so... I need a car to go explore all my old haunts.

Mar 8, 07 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
drizzler

definitely rent a car, a cab from LAX to westwood can by $30-60 depending on traffic.
there is a youth hostel in santa monica that would probably be your cheapest place to stay if you don't mind sharing space. that is only about a 15-20 minute drive to UCLA and probably under $50 a night.
if you are here during final reviews that would be a great time to get an immpression of the overall level of work. There is also alumni work up in the gallery currently and last quarter's top projects on display in the main hall way. check out the shop while you are here... the two tech seminar installations which will be going up in hollywood are being fabricated in the back room so that will give you an idea of the non-studio work that goes on here.

Mar 9, 07 12:18 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: