Archinect
anchor

UK Architect coming to work in the USA - is it worth it?

Maria M

Hi, Hope someone here can help me as so far I haven’t managed to find any useful information anywhere else…

I’m a UK- registered architect, have been working in the industry for over 10 years, qualified for about 8. I work for a design-led practice in London, specializing in high-density prefabricated residential projects.

I have an opportunity to have a Green Card (through my parents who are citizens) and try to work in the States (I have family in CA and in Chicago). I also can have a “year out” to retrain if I want to…

So, my question is – shall I try it? I’m in my late 30s, so it’s now or never. I was even thinking about retraining as something completely different – I do like architecture but I’m really put out by the insecurity, stupid hours and low pay… Would love to have a discussion with someone and see what people think.

Jul 17, 12 11:24 am
RH-Arch

I am by no means someone that can help you in that regard due to my junior status, but under the assumption you do continue architecture, do you have a specific size firm you are interested in? a specific firm? a specific market? a specific state? do you value quality of work over pay or the other way around? 

Jul 17, 12 11:41 am  · 
 · 
zonker

insecurity, stupid hours and low pay -  this comes with the game - don't come here if this is what you are put off by - there are many in the U.S. who need work and would gladly work stupid hours and low pay - I work "stupid hours sometimes w/o pay and lo pay when I do get paid.

Jul 17, 12 11:43 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

insecurity, stupid hours and low pay…covers most of the thread topics on archinect.

Jul 17, 12 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

Maria, i might be drawing too sweeping a conclusion from the tone of your post, but it sure seems to me like you should go for it.  You have experience, and you mention you are flexible, so if exploring a possible life in the states is something you really want to do, you should do it.  

That being said, I am sure you are aware, but there are really massive differences between California and Chicago.  Forget the differences between CA and Chicago, there are massive differences in California alone depending on which part you live in.  So, i would say decide what it is you're really looking for in your move, figure out where you want to live and what kind of lifestyle you want, then trust yourself to find a job to pay the bills (if necessary) while you work on re-starting your career.   

A little bit of nitty gritty detail... Chicago is cheap... Super dirt cheap compared to london, and dirt cheap compared to California.  What you can rent here and for how much relative to what you can do in London will probably blow your mind...

Jul 17, 12 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
Maria M

Thanks to everyone who answered.

Rand – I’m currently working for a good design-led small firm; the size of the company where I would like to work doesn’t matter much but the quality of work does. I enjoy working in a resi sector, would love to do some high-end stuff, specialize in social housing, have experience in Education – was working on Building Schools for the Future until our lovely government pulled it down…I have no idea where I would like to live; preferably a big city. I loved Chicago and I love the sun in the CA but I haven’t been to many places in America – CA, NY and Chicago…

Xenakis, vado – I understand what you’re saying, the situation is exactly the same over here, and I myself would do anything to stay in employment – I had no pay rise for four years and quite often work weekends. These are bad times but what I’m interested in is long term prospects and I can’t see how I would be able to support myself here in London since its so bloody expensive.

Iletdownl – thanks for the positive feedback! I’m so tired of hearing that I should be grateful for what I have and not move etc etc. As I said, I loved Chicago but hated the weather…

Can someone please explain to me the difference between licenses in different states? For example, if I get a license in Chicago, I will not be able to practice anywhere else? American system seem to be very different to the one in the UK. Also – hoe difficult it is to get a license? A stupid question, I know, but to get registered in the UK was quite difficult.

Jul 18, 12 6:04 am  · 
 · 

First of all, America is no longer a British colony.  In case you forgot, there was a pretty nasty war and many of the scars have yet to heal.  And immigrants, in general, are not very welcome there.  You should really consider going somewhere else where you won't be facing so much animosity just because you are a subject of the queen.  In both Chicago and California, you will probably be laughed at because of your accent and funny choice of words (although, come to think of it most American architects are laughed at for the same reasons so maybe it's a wash).

Anyhow, you really shouldn't do it.  You are already pretty old and do you really want to risk becoming fat and stupid like Americans?  That'd make a killer combination on your CV.

Consider yourself warned, yo!

Jul 18, 12 9:39 am  · 
 · 
Maria M

hahahaaa... cheers yo...

Jul 18, 12 9:51 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

So, as you can see, this Handsumcash person is funny, so clever too... we're all impressed...

As for the licensing process, you should look into whether there is any way to expedite your licensing here based on the process you have already completed in England.  If you can't expedite it, and you have to go through our standard licensing process, I am afraid that is also a huge pain here as well.

You're required to accrue a certain number of hours of work in specific areas (the equivalent of about 3 years working full time)  and then must pass 7 separate tests on subjects like contracts, construction documentation, building systems, structures, planning, materials... etc.  NCARB is the name of the organization that runs our licensing program.  You should check out their website for any kind of reciprocity deal.

As for reciprocity across state lines, someone else might know more about that, but i believe its relatively simple.  Lets say you ended up in Chicago, you would get licensed by the state of illinois.  After that, getting licensed in other states anywhere in the US is much much easier and generally only involves a fee, but might involve another test depending on the location.

Jul 18, 12 10:01 am  · 
 · 
Maria M

Iletdownl - thank you very much. I will have a look at the NCARB site.

Another question - slightly less intelligent probably - in your opinion, which location would be "the one" for an architect - in terms of concentration of interesting practices, progressive ideas, culture, etc? As I am from the capital I would think NY? and are there other places which are not good, where a self- respecting architect would not go?

Jul 18, 12 10:13 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

http://www.ncarb.org/Getting-an-Initial-License/Foreign-Architects.aspx

i don't think you would have to go through IDP.  If you have an NCARB record and get licensed in Illinois (Chicago is a city) you should be able to transfer to most states fairly easy with just fees and paperwork, though there is a fair chance california will make it hard.  as i recall they have their own testing requirements in addition to the NCARB ones.

Most of us have moved past the revolution.  we are now focused on animosity towards the french for some reason, even though they were a significant help during said revolution.  also I wouldn't worry about the accent as long as you stay north of the mason dixon, until you ask someone if you can pinch a fag.

having said that, our economy sucks the same as everywhere.  there seems to be a fair number of young architects that have been looking for a job since 2009.  it is not a healthy market to move to, so it would be a great risk for you to give up stability.  we don't really have the land of opportunity we used to.

Jul 18, 12 10:18 am  · 
 · 
Maria M

curtkram - thanks. I totally understand the situation, and I know how lucky I am to have a job. But as I said - even though I love London the life here is way too expensive, I want to be able to afford a place of my own in the future; also, most of my family are in America and as I get older I miss them more and more.

Dont tell me about the French-bashing! )) English dislike them too for some reason. But not as much as they dislike Germans and Scotts.

Jul 18, 12 10:39 am  · 
 · 

I would encourage you to go, as we architects are all about the challenge. You may find better opportunities and better life there. It might be a bit hard to pass all the test and get licensed but if you are in your 30's and you still haven't settled in the UK then it looks like it is just not your place here. Good Luck!

Jul 18, 12 11:27 am  · 
 · 
zonker

If you do come to the U.S. - San Francisco is your best bet with increasing opportunities in the tech sector, and hand me down London double decker buses and many UK people here in many architecture offices - give it a shot - do you know Revit?

Jul 18, 12 11:44 am  · 
 · 
Paradox

I and a lot of Americans and non-Americans I know are suckers for the British accent. I'm sure Maria will charm the pants of clients and employers the minute she opens her mouth even if they don't understand some of the words she says. Also, we know the horrible economic situation of the UK so you wouldn't lose anything and having close people to stay with temporarily is a great opportunity.

Jul 18, 12 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
RH-Arch

And I'm not sure if sustainability as a means for marketing products has caught on over there, but be prepared for that here if it hasn't. We've defined sustainability as a design aspect that is gained through purchasing a product or designing an element that earns you a point on a list, usually resulting in unsustainable practices 

Jul 18, 12 12:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: