Archinect
anchor

looking for competition partner(s) in l.a.

greenlander1

looking to meet up w someone who might be interested in working on some competitions in l.a. just finished the carlsberg competition last wk and by then had already realized i was in over my head. had a v good angle on it but not nearly enough firepower brainwise and productionwise to really fill out the project. more or less realized that at the v least im going to need another person to bounce ideas off of and visa versa to be able to tackle the bigger ones.

right now im looking at a urban design one in finland. unlikely that ill do it but looking at it. there was also a museum in the balkans, serbia i think, that i would have done but i missed the registration deadline.

anyhow would also like to hear others' experience when pursuing competitions aggressively within their own office or on the side.

Mar 7, 07 2:39 am
nothing-less

just wondering...do you have any requirement in order to be your competition partner? are you interested in doing urban design for competition? u still in school? if yes, which year?

Mar 7, 07 3:16 am  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

green....I might be willing to discuss.....let me know!

Mar 7, 07 11:08 am  · 
 · 
justavisual

might be willing, i'll be in la only during the summer though (may-aug)...if this suits you?

Mar 7, 07 11:24 am  · 
 · 
greenlander1

nothing-less, ive been out of school for bout 7 yrs. im not necessarily interested in urban design per se but if a comp looks worthwhile, i.e. good prize money, chance of being built, professionally organized then i usually take a look. or...if its a comp thats one of those things you could crank out in a v short period of time. generally either something v substantial or something v easy. its the in btw competitions that i dont have much interest in. to be honest i really dont know exactly what im looking for in terms of partners but i do know that working alone can be pretty inefficient. i had dabbled for about a mo on the carlsberg comp and towards the end i hired someone realized that i needed more help. it wasnt until then the project started to get moving. unfortunately i shouldve either hired someone or joined up w someone much earlier. it wouldve made a huge difference. i also know my representational technique is pretty ghetto. ive never done a rendering before and this last one was the first time i used illustrator to make diagrams. even though ive had some success w comps im usually pretty surprised that people are willing to sign off on them or not get too weirded out by the rawness of the presentations.

Mar 8, 07 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

I'm interested. I'd like to do this one http://www.clevelandcompetition.com/

Mar 9, 07 12:18 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

All we’re askin you to do is drop trou and squeeze out a Cleveland Steamer on my chest

Mar 9, 07 12:29 am  · 
 · 
c.k.

ok, nevermind

Mar 9, 07 12:34 am  · 
 · 
greenlander1

ckl id prob have to pass on cleveland. looks interesting but 2 boards at 24 x 36 w no serious mention of future construction and the incredibly small prize pool is comparatively too much work. if you see other ones though send me a line

Mar 9, 07 2:06 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: