Archinect
anchor

young foreign firm doing chinese projects

aspect

i've been reading some articles about young foreign firm especially dutch been recieving lots of commissions in china.

They all share the similar experiences that after they won several design competitions in china, they establish branches in china. (I'm not talking about those starchitect).

I tried to look through the web and found 0 information on china's design competition, but I heard there were lots of them.

I wonder if those competition information just circulate among local chinese architect and you need to team up with one of them to get start?

if anyone know about how to access those information or know any directions, please let us know.

thanks.

Mar 7, 07 1:38 am
MacRoen

As I am currently working in China I can give you some inside info: competitions here in China aren't to be trusted easily. Loads of times there is no first prize, only seconds and thirds. The client has acquired 30+ good plans and just builds the one he likes. You have to remember the copyright in China means actually: the right to copy. And they will do just that.

For the honest ones: very hard to find as me being here for almost a year have only found a couple!!! --> HERE

Mar 7, 07 4:07 am  · 
 · 
MacRoen

And I am Dutch as well...
more links --> HERE

Korea and Japan have also nice competitions...

Mar 7, 07 4:09 am  · 
 · 
aspect

thanks marcroen for the reply, i read that competition before too, however, firstly is too late for me to start, second, the project brief is only a few sentences, still trying to figure out what it is about.

are you teaming up with the locals? would you consider joining with locals and start your own business here (or you may already have)? mind to share your experience as how to get start here? thanks!!

Mar 7, 07 10:43 am  · 
 · 
n_

heads up, i also worked in the chinaland and was involved in a large chinese firm. on a few occasions, we would get competition 'winners' from other countries and be told to copy them but make minor changes.

Mar 7, 07 7:38 pm  · 
 · 

heh heh it would be a link to corny firm names copyplan.com??

Mar 7, 07 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
MacRoen

@ Aspect: I am currently working for a swiss office esthablised already 14 years in China. From my little experience here: I would never start my own company here due to various reasons. If you want more info, just email me.

Mar 8, 07 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

hi macroen, email sent through archinect... not sure how u retrieve it though... btw, there is a book now about dutch firm in china!!

Mar 9, 07 8:23 am  · 
 · 
Mulholland Drive

No offense to my dear Asian friends, but the architecture scene in China is quite shady and built on heaping piles of bullsh*t. Copying is very much the standard operating procedure there, so explorer beware.

Mar 9, 07 8:51 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

I worked at a firm that did a very large, invite only competition, and we were heavily invested and beaten by some inside politics according to the boss. Strangely, he thought we were the lock because of our own previous insider bullshit.

Its a shame whats happening there profesionally, however it must happen this way. China right now is much like the Industrializing American Northeast during the end of the 1800's - sort of wild west of business.

Mar 9, 07 9:18 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: