funny...GM still designs the ugliest damn cars out there

Mar 6, 07 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
binary

ford designs suck also.....

Mar 6, 07 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

why does the American general public accept shitty design? It seems that GM and Ford both go out of their way to make ugly products. Good design doesnt cost anymore at the scale that they are making cars...good design isn't even tied to the quality of the product being produced.

It is much like the Mac vs PC aesthetic... is only Apple really capable of designing a beautiful computer?

Mar 6, 07 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

hell, the British, who cant cook worth a damn, can design cool cars

http://www.tvr-eng.co.uk/overview_sagaris.php

Mar 6, 07 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

There's a lot more going into it than "ugly" v. "well designed." Dodge Charger is a pretty cool car, but would most people on archinect buy it? Hell no. They'd buy a VW. People here in the D drive big ol' sedans, people in the 'burbs drive SUVs, people in Cali buy little fuel efficient foreign cars. Design really has very little to do with any of it.

Mar 6, 07 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

they also dont have a good track record with electronics... I know a guy who bought an Aston Martin DB9...damn thing broke down more that I did at my senior thesis crit...sent back to the AM dealarship on the back of a flatbed truck asking for his $$$ back

Mar 6, 07 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

people in cali do not buy little fuel efficient cars. celebrities do.

i almost lost my life on two separate occaisions to rednecks and their jacked-up pick ups sliding over my rear.

Mar 6, 07 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

"damn thing broke down more that I did at my senior thesis crit" -mdler

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Mar 6, 07 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

good strategy...let other companies do the experments with new technology...then adopt what works...

Mar 7, 07 3:11 am  · 
 · 
antipod

It's true the poms can't design a car worth a damn. Thats why they all drive German...

Mar 7, 07 8:36 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

It's not all about style. Toyota sells one heck of a lot of Camry's, which are quite bland to drive and very bland looking. People just think they are great cars, although given the number of recent Toyota recalls their quality seems to be slipping.

The reliability conscious buyer certinaly doesn't go to Europe for a car. Mercedes Benz is trying everything possible to up their reliability ratings. Volkswagen has been plagued with a myriad of problems with their turbo engines and interior finish quality.

In actuality the Ford's and GM's are right behind the Honda's and Toyota's in reliability and aren't terrible cars functionally. Design wise they have some ground to make up, but never underestimate the quality aspect.

I don't care what my ride looks like so long as it gets me there. I don't need to make a statement by driving a german car. I don't need to save the earth with a hybrid or alt-fuel car because I drive maybe 20 miles/week which is less carbon spewing than most hybrid drivers going 100 miles. And since I'm in my car so little, if the design isn't quite perfect, so be it. I'd still much rather have a well designed house with well designed furniture inside.

Mar 7, 07 8:59 am  · 
 · 
trace™

I agree some of the new American cars seem to be half decent. I still won't buy one, though. After owning two Fords, that's enough for me (Mustang 5.0 and a Probe GT).

I also don't understand why they can't find any better designers. Maybe it's like architecture, where there are more stifling figures than stimulating bosses.

GM better do something. I wish they had teamed with Nissan (considering I own stock in GM, which ain't even worth selling at this point).

The Corvette is actually a superb car. I just think it's too damn big.

Car's to look out for:

New BMW M3 (can't wait for that one)

Toyota Supra (we'll see, but it has tons of potential)

Acura NSX (this could be much more affordable than the last one)

Possible: Mazda RX-7 (the last one is still a superb car, as is the old 300ZX Turbo)

Mar 7, 07 9:23 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: