Archinect
anchor

3 DAYS IN COPENHAGEN

roborocketpod

where should i stay? what should i see? tips and secrets please!

Mar 5, 07 10:22 am
evilplatypus

have you ever heard of the Danish designer Per Correl?

Mar 5, 07 10:25 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Past summer there was a very nice hostel I read about , If it still is open I don't know but it was right in the center by the harbour and was a project for students and youth travelers , so unless your intensions are about the BZ ( their house was torn down this morning) I think there shuld be hostels ; still I don't know much about this issue and if I shuld search it could only be about the hostel project mentioned.

Mar 5, 07 10:37 am  · 
 · 
AP

walk Strøget from end to end...especially if the weather is nice (late spring or summer)...

also, Christiania is not to be missed.

Copenhagen is a beautiful city. have fun.

Mar 5, 07 10:43 am  · 
 · 
ChAOS

here here AP.

contact DIS, they have an arch program for mostly US students, they can probably give you some great tips as they lead study tours/field trips for the students. contact the assistants rather than the director.

http://www.dis.dk/

Mar 5, 07 11:31 am  · 
 · 
walter_

AP is dead on. You should also try to get up to the Louisiana museum, if there are any interesting exhibits. It's a 30 minute train ride up the coast, but worth visiting. Check out the Black Box (bus stop hub) and take a ride on the Metro - the stations and the trains are pretty cool - make sure to ride in the front car. And go to Tivoli Gardens.

Also go drink incredibly cheap drinks at Australian Bar if you're there on a Thursday night, and make sure to grab a pint of Carlsberg at Elephant and Mouse bar.

Mar 5, 07 11:44 am  · 
 · 
AP

big 2nd on the Louisiana. not to be missed (again, especially if the weather is nice - indoor/outdoor museum awesome-ness).

taking a water-taxi-tour is also advisable. it's kinda touristy, but a great way to see the city's waterfront...

Mar 5, 07 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
n_

are you going in march? i went in march a few years ago for my high school bring break and it snowed 19" in one day. most kids come back for spring break nice and tan, i was hella pasty white.

Mar 5, 07 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
mauOne™

Zahas Ordrupgaard extension is 30min train ride outside CPH in Lyngby, I recommend you go check it out

Mar 5, 07 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
ChAOS

also, calatrava's got a condo tower in malmo, sweden, about 20 min train ride across the water (it's on the end of a commuter line, very easy, no additional cost). which btw, malmo is a sort of planned communtiy in which a number of architects built pieces as part of a whole, it's a bit of a surreal experience, but worth it. if you're in a hurry you can probably do the whole shebang in about 4 hours round trip.

what's the harbor part w/ the boat called? i can never seem to remember it.

Mar 5, 07 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

does bjarke have any built projects in copenhagen?
and i third the louisiana museum.

Mar 5, 07 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
Peru

All things worth seeing can be found through the copenhagenX site. There's quite a few fine buildings(new) in ørestaden just take the metro.
I second the louisiana.

http://www.dac.dk/visEmneside.asp?artikelID=1571
http://www.cphx.dk

Mar 5, 07 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
rootseven

yea, the malmo community is called Bo01.

Mar 5, 07 6:53 pm  · 
 · 

I second Christiania, and don't just walk down Pusher Street, go deeper into some of the side lanes and paths along the water, there are some great homemade buildings back there.

Mar 5, 07 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
pandpieri

Along the metro line (running on eleveated tracks) in Örestaden there are VM-husene, by PLOT, close by is also the Danish Radio consert hall being built (by Jean Nouvel). the metro istelf is prett cool too.

there is a recent "Kastup Söbad" project on Amager (a beach/pier), which was nominated for Mies van der Rohe awards last year.

If you decide to go north to Louisiana, make a stop in Klampenborg (on the train line) to see Arne Jacobsen´s "Bella Vista" modernist housing block and cinema and some of his villas from the 30s.

Next to the Stadium "parken" there is a housing area called "brumlebyen" built in the 1800s by doctors to give poor families a chance to live in a cholera free environment, nice scale and community feeling. There is another area like that one somewhere called "Kartoffelrekkerne", worth seeing but not contemporary...

A lot of development is going on at the time at Islands Brygge, I think that is where the MVRDVs Frösilo also is.

I second the Tivoli amusement park, worth a visit at night for the million coloured light kitsch experience.......

have fun...

Mar 9, 07 7:49 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: