Archinect
anchor

Want to Create Home Archi-Image Bank... Suggestions?

Alright guys and gals...
I bought a new macbook (yes, macs are much better / just switched) and a new 160GB external hard drive....

I want to create a personal homemade image data bank mixing my own photographs with those scanned from magazines, books, etc. of buildings.

Has anyone attempted to do this, or have any suggestions on how to create a personal digital library for easy referencing?

The obvious one suggestion would be to input an excel file with:
Architect, name of project, location, type, and file extension, and maybe number of images...

Are there any programs out there that help one do an image data bank... maybe with search features? etc.

Mar 5, 07 2:18 am
MacRoen

Something like this? Yes it is in Dutch though. The only thing I would say is: go for it but use your/our own photo cause of copyright (no scans from magazines).

[J]

Mar 5, 07 2:56 am  · 
 · 
theWanderlister

Well sort of... just something for myself at home using my own computer and external hard drive. Nothing to be published publicly on the web.

Mar 5, 07 4:11 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

You want to use metadata rather than having an index. That way you can search through your database.

Mar 5, 07 4:32 am  · 
 · 
MacRoen

okok, use filemaker Pro for this stuff...

Mar 5, 07 4:50 am  · 
 · 
StuntPilot

There are several software packages available for around $100... or you could Use Google's free Picasa.

It takes a little time to get over the interface design for the baby boomer users, but you can customize which folders to search and how you want to view the images.

Other than being free, the software will search through metadata, folder names, and keywords.

Start by setting up a solid folder structure... I'd suggest by building type.
Inside each building type, create a folder for a specific project with its name and location. Dump all related images into that folder...no need to rename them. Generally applicable information can be added to the metadata via photoshop. Then once Picasa scans the folder location(s) you can add keywords to each individual image for very specific information.

If you need to create a multi-user environment read the message boards about doing this. It's cumbersome, but remember it's free.

I set this up at my office and it works quite well.

Mar 5, 07 6:23 am  · 
 · 
StuntPilot

Just saw that you wanted a mac solution. I guess I shouldn't respond that early in the morning.

Mar 5, 07 8:10 am  · 
 · 

i know that this isn't what you asked for, but maybe it'll help anyway. why not a pro flickr account. under $30.

-it's as good as any library program i've found, allowing tagging, grouping, etc.
-you don't have to keep the storage at home, the site allows you unlimited space.
-you can mark all private if you don't want them 'out there' and want to keep the images to yourself for private use. or you can have private, semi-private (friends), and public.
-the site provides a lot of management tools (most of which i haven't even ventured into yet).

the only drawback i've found is that you can only make sets, not subsets and subsubsets. but good management of tagging could resolve that problem.

Mar 5, 07 8:18 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

one of my classmates works at a large corporate firm, they use picassa and have all the images loaded onto the server, so everyone can access them. it's effing quick

Mar 5, 07 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
theWanderlister

Thanks everyone.... the Picasa thing sounds like a great idea!

Actually, I started tooling around with Mac's iPhoto software which looks deceivingly too simple but it turned out to do alot of the things that Picasa does as well.

There is a folder tree on the left bar, a search bar, and an info button. When you click on a picture and you press the info button, you can change an input lots of information and create a metadata of tags for each photograph.

So for the filenames, i've been doing like "MVRDV_Pavilion_001.jpg"
and for metadata I would input "MVRDV, Exhibition, Hanover, Pavilion". So it works pretty well if I just use the searchbox after typing in the metadata for all photos.

http://www.apple.com/ilife/iphoto/features/library.html

They have image tagging customization and searching.

In actually iv'e played around with Picasa before. And its exactly the same as iPhoto. And it's a Google Software. So thanks guys... I was just curious as to how everyone at home/office files these things! I'm such a control freak! haha.

Mar 5, 07 9:57 pm  · 
 · 

JA are you creating a precedent folder?

Mar 6, 07 12:31 am  · 
 · 
theWanderlister

I have to check if I can make a precedent folder and sub-folders... I dont know if I will be able... does anyone have experience with iPhoto that can comment?

Mar 6, 07 1:58 am  · 
 · 
theWanderlister

Playing with iPhoto now. Yes, you can batch photos into albums. Albums can then be put into precedent folders. So for example, precedent folders can be titled "ARCHITECTURE / URBANISM" , "PERSONAL", "FOOD", etc.

Within a folder you can have albums and label them "EDUCATION", "HOSPITAL", "EXHIBITION", etc. or in any subcategory you prefer.

Mar 6, 07 6:40 am  · 
 · 
geimanj

Somewhat aside- my GF just got a refurbed MacBook and I've been helping her set it up. Now I'm addicted... It's just so nice to use and way more elegant than WinXP. I came home to my PC and was depressed after using OSX. I miss the two-finger touchpad already...

Mar 6, 07 12:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: