Archinect
anchor

BIG FIRM | little firm

ryanj

Going into my final summer I'm looking at anything from large international firms (RTKL, HKS, etc.) to small, boutique firms.

I've had two internships thusfar with a medium sized (50-60) firm and am inclined to go with a small firm to get some hands on experience.

I realize that to a certain extent it depends on personal career objectives, but which will provide the more well-rounded experience for a nearly graduated student like myself?

Mar 4, 07 3:39 pm
binary

small firm..... learn what you can in the small firms and then in 2-3 years you can bump to a large firm with experience......... if you start in a large firm, you might be pigeoned holed for a long while.......

b

Mar 4, 07 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

medium sized firm...

Mar 4, 07 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

medium to small for the most benefit straight out of school.
cryzko's right on the pigeonholing of larger firms. though you might get lucky.

Mar 4, 07 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
khmay

heeeuuge

Mar 4, 07 5:53 pm  · 
 · 

find a small snug hole...dance monkey dance

Mar 4, 07 6:14 pm  · 
 · 

the most important thing I would think is to find a practice that does work you like.

Challenging I know.

Mar 4, 07 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i'd up that to:

work you like, and they'll actually let you work on, not just the bathroom remodel the principle agreed to do for his friends....

Mar 4, 07 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
shaner

small firm with big jobs = best experience.. never leave if you find one!

Mar 4, 07 6:29 pm  · 
 · 

good point holz.

its always good being part of the design process...esp when managed.

Mar 4, 07 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

actually a firm with jobs is best...

Mar 4, 07 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
archislacker

Depends on what you want. I have worked at a small firm and a large international firm. If you want to be a CAD monkey with a decent paycheck and good benefits, go to a large firm. If you want to get your hands into all aspects of the firm's projects but don't mind a smaller paycheck and working out of someone's basement, got to a small firm... Or just split the difference and go to a medium sized firm.

Mar 4, 07 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
jackalope

It's not likely you'll spend much of your career at the firm you work at after college. Choose the one with people who are most like-minded as you. Not getting support from clients is expected, but not getting support from your colleagues will be a low growth job for you.

Mar 5, 07 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

JACKALOPE YOUR NOT WYOMING INFESTED ARE YOU?

Mar 5, 07 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
Geoffgc

small-medium, ie, 10-25 people is perfect.

large firms simply need production lines.

Mar 5, 07 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
ryanj

thanks to everyone for their feedback. i've gotten some responses from prospective employers and am currently looking at three distinct offices.

XL. dallas tx. 220+ employees
corporate, multi-disciplinary, international firm, incredible design work (and work that suits my interests)

L. fort collins co. 200+ employees
design-build, arch/development/realestate, integrated learning environment, average design work (work that somewhat suits my interests)

XS. austin tx. 7-10 employees
retail, new office expanding to 12-15, virtually unknown

Mar 6, 07 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
jwo

does this xs firm wish to hire summer interns in its expansion?

Mar 7, 07 2:02 am  · 
 · 
magic_pie

Is this XL firm HKS?

Apr 11, 07 8:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: