Archinect
anchor

Educational reimbursement or assistance at large firms?

Buff03

Do large firms like AECOM, Gensler, Perkins+Will, HKS etc, etc provide any educational assistance or reimbursement for advanced education lif you'd like to get an MBA via an evening program or something like that?

Jul 12, 12 1:57 pm
RH-Arch

I've recently only seen that offer at large EA firms.

Jul 12, 12 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

When I pursued my MBA, I was offered tuition reimbursement by my employer (a mid-sized firm) in exchange for a 3-year commitment to work for them following graduation.  It was a very tempting offer, but I turned it down because I didn't want to be bound by that restriction.  But, truth be told, that was quite some time ago when MBAs were quite scarce among graduate architects. Those education credentials are not nearly as scarce today.

Through AIA, I'm reasonably well connected to a diverse group of senior professionals at large firms around the country and I never - ever - hear any of them talk about this form of education assistance. However, I suppose it's possible that this is a topic that just never comes up for discussion over dinner.

Jul 12, 12 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

I'm sure there are many firms who offer that if you've been working for them long enough already.  Its usually a case by case basis, unless ofcourse you're taking something more closely related to architecture like LEED certification etc.

Jul 12, 12 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
Buff03

Okay thanks -

@accesskb - what about a masters in construction management? Do you think they'd be more inclined to go for something like that?

Jul 12, 12 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I've never heard of any educational reimbursement beyond a couple hundred bucks a year except for those at principal level.

Jul 12, 12 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
stone

Buff03 - I think you should stop looking at this question from the perspective of "what's in it for me" and ask yourself "why would a firm offer education reimbursement to an employee; what's in it for them?"

We complain bitterly around here about firm's not running their affairs in a "business like" manner. In that context, a firm will not (and should not) make a major investment in special education credentials for a member of their staff unless there's a reasonable likelihood the firm will achieve some return on that investment. Without the kind of restriction that quizzical mentions above, what's to prevent an employee from taking the tuition reimbursement and then hauling ass somewhere else once the degree is earned?

If you want an advanced degree and you want your firm to contribute to the cost of that degree, start thinking about what you're willing to do in order to convince the firm that their investment in you would be a good and secure investment.

Jul 12, 12 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
tuna

keep in mind that some companies that do offer educational reimbursement cap out around $5K or something relativity small compare to the entire tuition where it can be in the 20’s or 30’s; depending on where you go. its not much but also some companies have it so that if you get a B average, they’ll reimburse 80% of the maximum cost, and a c average would get you 50% or something like that.  

Jul 12, 12 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
Buff03

@stone -  Relax.  If a firm offered me the same deal that quizzical got I'd take in in a heartbeat. It may not have been the right situation for him but it would be great for me.  What's in it for them? How about an employee that has a better understanding of marketing, financials and can read a balance sheet.  I don't expect them to offer help without getting some type of long term committment from me.

Jul 12, 12 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

So you'll take the free MBA. Or Master or Construction Management. Or anything else as long as it's free. You'll even join a big, evil firm to get yar paws on some free sammiches.

Man, everyone wants free sammiches.

Jul 12, 12 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
i'm not new here

I was working thru this situation earlier this year.  I am pursuing an MBA that has a flexible schedule.  

The 'settlement' I got with my firm (large 500+ person firm where I've been for 4+ years) is that I cut my hours back to 30 a week that I cover in 10 hour days Monday-Wednesday.  I took a 25% paycut since I was cutting my hours 25%.  This allows me to technically be full time, so I can keep health insurance and 401K vested $. 

It took alot of conversations with alot of different parties that weren't my direct management.  It's very much not advertised, but I don't hide it - my division is actually really supportive and interested, but the larger firm doesn't have much awareness of what I do.  I'm just not there as much I used to be :)  It's always a surprise when I mention it.

It works for me - it was a lot more work to get to a common agreement/understanding than I thought it would be.   But, it's worth having the conversation - it's good to know where both you and your employer stand on future plans - ambiguity sucks.

Oct 21, 12 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

never heard firms paying for an entire degree like an MBA ... I'm sure every firm would offer it if you've worked there long enough and are well respected and valued by your high ups xP  now start sucking up to them xD

Oct 21, 12 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
value engineer

I work for a large engineering company which is included in the list you mentioned, $5,000 a semester if you are full time, $2500 for part timers. Not bad. The hard part will be to get hired, reimbursements are handed out pretty readily.

Oct 23, 12 1:05 am  · 
 · 
zonker

I believe people need to demonstrate resourceful self sufficiency by footing the bill themselves - 

Oct 23, 12 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
med.

I've worked at three of those firms you mentioned.

NO

Oct 25, 12 4:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: