Archinect
anchor

Ann Arbor Area Firms

pvb358

What firms are good to get with after graduating from undergrad arch. at U. of Michigan? Smith Group? I really havnt done any research at all. And do you know of any that are hiring. I'm back home in Milwaukee and might want to go work there where I still have some friends in the area.

Aug 8, 04 9:04 pm
Smoke Porterhouse

pvb358,

our office is currently looking for someone to replace me. no, they're not firing me, i'm leaving for graduate school at the end of august.
they pay well, it's a small office so you'll get to do a little bit of everything.
it's in A2.
if you have half a brain you will look like golden god compared to the last guy they hired. (not me)

drop me an electronic message if you are interested and i'll give you the details.

Aug 8, 04 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
beef cake

V.U. - I think you're giving Peter Von Buelow too much credit.

Aug 8, 04 9:51 pm  · 
 · 
hotdogchamp

look, peter von buelow will mess you up. be careful. i heard he made a 400 meter long suspension bridge out of cucumber skin in the 70s.

Aug 8, 04 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
rothko67

have you heard of these guys?
http://plyarch.com/

Aug 9, 04 12:35 am  · 
 · 
pvb358

anyone know anything about Hobbs + Black? how about Greenscape? Quinn Evans? Kelly Tinker?

Aug 12, 04 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
sanofiSYN

I knew someone who interned at Quinn Evans. They do a lot of work in historical restoration, I believe. Also has an office in D.C. or Boston.
Don't know about the other two, sorry.

Aug 12, 04 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
doodle-bug

as an unfortunate relocatie to Ann Arbor, and thankfully now far away, BE CAREFUL.

Ann Arbor is a very strange place. A place that tries hard, places a fair amount of thoughtless gibberish into the realm of intellectual endevour, and well...gets damn cold. (sorry for the aside)

Plyarch does some interesting work. They are headed up by a few profs as i understand it. I think they scrap and struggle to get projects built. I would imagine you would get to file papers and the such being that your fresh out of undergrad. There are quite a few good small small firms that do a lot of nice nice things. If you are looking at larger project Lord, Aeck, and Sargent have a satellite office in downtown A2.

Anyway, being a small town in the midwest the economy can have a big affect on our profession.

Being fresh out of school i recommend looking at the type and size of project you would like to work on.

happy hunting

Aug 13, 04 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
edmund.l.liang

ann arbor? why not detroit?

Aug 13, 04 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
edmund.l.liang

oh sorry, you went to uofm . . . i apologize.

Aug 13, 04 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
sanofiSYN

Yeah, Detroit is only about 35-40 minutes away, and if you include this area, there are a lot more options in terms of job opportunities (though during winter and rushhour you'll wish you worked closer). Many more large corporate firms - Smith Group, Gensler, and Albert Kahn have offices there. Plus more lesser known Detroit-based firms. Network a little and it shouldn't be too hard to get an entry-level position.

Aug 13, 04 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
DEtroit

-pvb358:

depends on what your looking for.... i would look into <a href="http://v-gstudio.com/" target="new">Van Tine / Guthrie Studio< or <a href="http://www.biddison-ad.com/" target="new">Biddison Architecture + Design< even though the latter is located in Farmington Hills. Both do some very nice work and would be a good starting point for someone with little experience. They are small firms and would give you a well-rounded working experience. Larger firms such as <a href="http://www.smithgroup.com" target="new">SmithGroup< or <a href="http://www.gensler.com" target="new">Gensler< will provide experience working on large projects but most likely will pigeon-hole you a bit more due to sheer size and corporate atmosphere. I would stay away from other corporate firms such as <a href="http://www.albertkahn.com/?portal=false" target="new">Albert Kahn Associates< unless they offer you a ton of money (which they won't). Just my 2 cents. (I didn't really need to put the links in but I was just seeing if I could make them work)

Aug 16, 04 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
DEtroit

opps. that didn't work so here's what I wanted to say

-pvb358:

depends on what your looking for.... i would look into Van Tine / Guthrie Studio or Biddison Architecture + Design even though the latter is located in Farmington Hills. Both do some very nice work and would be a good starting point for someone with little experience. They are small firms and would give you a well-rounded working experience. Larger firms such as SmithGroup or Gensler will provide experience working on large projects but most likely will pigeonhole you a bit more due to sheer size and corporate atmosphere. I would stay away from other corporate firms such as Albert Kahn unless they offer you a ton of money (which they won't). Just my 2 cents.

Aug 16, 04 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
edmund.l.liang

Van Tine Guthrie is situated in suburbia. which is interesting. they are tucked away in mono culture and almost invisible and hardly recognized for their awesome work. i can tell they intentionally placed their office in northville to hide themselves so they can just do their work. i don't know - i'm just generalizing. i remember trying to walk into their office, but was intimidated of their entrance off the side of boutique store in northville so i didn't even go in. it's just that you wouldn't expect this type of talented studio in a culturally bland suburb.

www.v-gstudio.com

Aug 16, 04 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
edmund.l.liang

. . . oh yeah, forgot to mention that i have friends that work for gensler and albert kahn and they absolutely hate it. . . it's the whole corporate america thing. . .

Aug 16, 04 11:41 pm  · 
 · 
anatomical gift

doZer, I think you have something on your nose...

Aug 16, 04 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
edmund.l.liang

what the fuck is that supposed to mean? bitch.

Aug 17, 04 7:25 am  · 
 · 
anatomical gift

Whoa, easy there killer.

Aug 17, 04 9:35 am  · 
 · 
anatomical gift

It means that you sound like a Vantine Guthrie commercial.

Aug 17, 04 9:36 am  · 
 · 
pvb358

i think i will try see if vantine | guthrie has anything available. michael guthrie was the studio instructor of my roomate. seems very talented,... named young architect of the year i believe... in michigan maybe?, not sure of the exact award

Aug 17, 04 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
anatomical gift

It's the Detroit Chapter of the AIA.

Aug 17, 04 3:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: