Archinect
anchor

Rhino Question

pvb358

How can you get the waffle models made from an object. Say ive got some object, draped like a napkin (gehry surface), and then I contour it, so I now have the grid. Is there a command to make those notches in it like when people make those new trendy models in school are the notches made manually after the contouring? Or can rhino setup the necessary lines to then use to take to the laser cutter to make the waffle modle, hope I'm making sense.

Aug 8, 04 9:01 pm
MADianito

mmmhhh sorry i didnt understood... ur question seems easy, just try to put it again in other words

Aug 8, 04 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
Einstein

If you are serious about Rhino.

http://news2.mcneel.com/scripts/dnewsweb.exe?cmd=xover&group=rhino

Aug 9, 04 12:44 am  · 
 · 
Einstein

If youa re serious about Rhino. The newsgroup is where to get questions answered. It is where the loyalists/groupies (the one's who can answer the most complicated questions) will be.

http://news2.mcneel.com/scripts/dnewsweb.exe?cmd=xover&group=rhino

Aug 9, 04 12:47 am  · 
 · 
sanofiSYN

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think pvb is referring to the kinds of models shown in the links below. They are student work from GSAP:

[url=http://www.arch.columbia.edu/gsap/24621]link[/rul]
link

Aug 9, 04 12:57 am  · 
 · 
sanofiSYN

oops, I linked that wrong. Just copy and paste.

Aug 9, 04 12:58 am  · 
 · 
Andrew Kudless

You must do it manually, but it shouldn't take too long to do. Achim Menges has a good animated gif detailing the process on his site:
www.evolutionary-strategies.org/

Basically, after you have the contours, add marks at each intersection, group the contour line and the marks, rotate all groups to the same plane so you can open it in a 2d cad environment, offset the marks to the appropriate material thickness, send it to the laser cutter. Don't forget to add labels either on the actual member or next to it on the sheet.

Aug 9, 04 5:44 am  · 
 · 
xxx

I've just recently gotten my hands on a copy of Maya and I'm trying to integrate it with my Rhino models. Does anyone know how to do this? I downloaded a plug-in to import 3ds files, but it doesn't seem to work too well. Is there any way to import my Rhino to Maya? Does anyone think this is a good method for rendering? (I don't have 3ds Max)

Aug 9, 04 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew Kudless

The best way to transfer nurbs between rhino and maya is by using the iges format. There are lots of weird things that happen so be prepared for some annoying things. My favorite is maya's completely idiotic use of distance limits on the default camera setting. If your rhino file units are something really big (like over 1000) then maya will not show you the model until you manually make the camera's range bigger. I spent hours one night trying to figure out why the model had imported correctly (could be seen in hypergraph) but not seen in any of the views. But overall, the conversion isn't too bad. I've used both the default settings and the maya settings in the export dialog and I haven't seen a difference yet.

As far as rendering goes, I can't help you. Maya has mental ray built in but the interface is so bad that I have't spent the time to figure it out. good luck.

Aug 9, 04 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
ds2la

egg crate models!!

Aug 9, 04 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
Einstein

In a few months, Rhino will have a public WIP on it's V.4 w/ Brazil as it's render.

Aug 10, 04 2:06 am  · 
 · 
TickerTocker

Einstein, this may sound a bit stupid, but whats a WIP?

Aug 10, 04 3:33 am  · 
 · 
Einstein

Work in progress. A beta that they let people use to try to shake out all the bugs before they start charging for it. You not stupid.

Aug 10, 04 3:59 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: