Archinect
anchor

laneway or coach houses?

njp

anybody out there know of any precedents for a laneway infill house or coach house in a typical residential neighborhood?

Mar 1, 07 2:25 pm
el jeffe

first time i've heard of this term. does it mean housing whose primary entrance is from the alley and not the street?

Mar 1, 07 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

my parents lived in a converted coach house in canada for 2 years. it's one of the few places they've lived where i was impressed with their decision.

john ronan did a really nice one in chicago

Mar 1, 07 3:03 pm  · 
 · 

first thing that came to mind is the brick house by caruso st john. it's pretty well-published, including 'architecture' mag.

Mar 1, 07 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
post-it

shim-sutcliffe has designed and published extensive studies on laneway houses.

Mar 1, 07 3:39 pm  · 
 · 

oh wait! just realized, after post-it's comment, that we're talking about alleys, not infill in a porte-cochere type thing. aren't there a lot of alley houses in toronto and vancouver? like a little alley-house culture sort of thing?

Mar 1, 07 3:52 pm  · 
 · 

not an alley house but isn't OMA/Koohaas' Bourdeaux House hemmed in on all sides by other houses? if I remember the site is a weird triangular left over space between other yards... kinda tangentially related i guess...

Mar 1, 07 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
postal

the convertable furniture in Ronan's is really rockin... don't know if you can find any good pics or drawings on the web though...

Mar 1, 07 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

steven, it's more toronto than vancouver.

shim-sutcliffe's own house is a laneway. they helped to push the city to change zoning to accomodate for increased density.

look here
and here

for a little background on toronto's laneways

Mar 1, 07 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
njp

great links holz.box. cheers!

Mar 1, 07 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i'm assuming this is academics related - what city are you looking to attempt this in? some of us may know of existing models in that city.

Mar 1, 07 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
njp

holz, you could say it's academics related, but it's actually for a potential "real" project in vancouver. just started searching today, but have yet to recall any nice examples of this typology here.

Mar 1, 07 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i'm assuming you are referring to vancouver b.c. and not washington.

and in that case...
check this out
[url=http://www.sfu.ca/city/PDFs/AffordableHousing/laneway_areas_cov.pdf/and this[/url]

Mar 1, 07 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box
and this
Mar 1, 07 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
njp

holz, i'm in vancouver, b.c.

so, i figure you're either, really bored, or you've reseached this topic before. whatever the case, thanks!

Mar 1, 07 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

it's a bit of both.
but mostly previously researched and bookmarked.

Mar 1, 07 7:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: